Best bike for touring 2 up that isnt a cruiser - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best bike for touring 2 up that isnt a cruiser

Re: Best bike for touring 2 up that isnt a cruiser

i own a 05 Electra glide [HARLEY] that is very comfortable touring, i get about 300 kms to a tank. they are also affordable to buy used as well.
    j-cox has a 06 flhtcui in there show room for 15,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post
    I'm love with the 109r. I have seen them with passanger seats and I think they still look great, even with right hardbags they look great. I dont need a windshield. However in the name of potentially altering the bikes appearance, Corbin makes a mint looking batwing fairing for the m109. Its the only fairing that looks any good on it. It actually gives the bike a really unique look. Its expensive, but I want it. Plus you could always remove it for driving around town.

The m109r is not an ideal bike for my purposes, but neither is what I have now and I still love touring on it, so I'm not worried about the 109 disappointing me. I just really want one - before I settle into old age and my inevitable Goldwing
    Why do you have to be old to have a Goldwing? Those bikes are amazing.

Please don't dress up an M109R, thats totally blasphemy in my book. Do you ever see a guy dress up a V-Rod Nightrod for touring hundreds of miles? If yes, how many... probably none!!

Tell your girlfriend/wife to get their own bike
    Lets Ride

Quote Originally Posted by IXFe View Post
    consider:

Honda Silverwing

or

Suzuki Burgman 650

My mum and dad tour on a Silverwing, this year they are taking it to Key West for a couple fo weeks. Though they will cheat for a bit of it on the car train.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Something a little different... Moto Guzzi Norge

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

I specifically bought my DL650 for 2up touring and reliability. I have 2up'd on my 650 Strom for about 6hrs at a time and she said it was fine and even falls asleep on the highway. It pulls very well, even on the highway, and I was getting around 400km/tank fully loaded too. You will get less gas mileage out of the 1000. Like Tom said, it's not a purpose built 2up touring bike, but it will do it relatively comfortably, for a great price with high reliability.
    To make it a better 2up bike you will likely want to change the seat, add a top box (backrest + storage) and throw on some highway pegs and maybe switch out the windshield. The aftermarket support for the bike is huge. The fun factor while riding the bike solo is also more than enough for me and it's also my daily ride. And I paid about $8k for it with all the extra's.

For me, it truly is an all purpose bike.
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 06-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

I like the Honda ST models. V-4 power, not as bulky as a Goldwing and has some get up and go for 2-up riding. New, will cost a few bucks but, anything new in the 2-up touring ranges is going to anyways.

Definitely not a cruiser.

I know the OP didn't request a cruiser but, you can really have a bunch that suit your needs in that catagory.

Everything comes at a price so, evaluate the needs and than select a few that seem to fit. Touring? How often? How many days? How far? How frequent 2-up? Do you need to pack for over night or a week?

The standards are all covered, well known and each of their benefits. They are all pretty well bullet proof. FJ's, BMW's, Honda's and Harleys. Each can meet the owners needs in a different way. Goldwings & Harley baggers tend to have older riders because both are typically semi retired and have more time to ride together. Probably suits riding 2-up in comfort, with plenty of storage for several long miles the most. But, will it be fun to just take it out Saturday afternoon for a ride with a few friends? I'm sure you find some that say no problem but, it isn't the Swiss Army Knife of bikes.

I don't limit myself to brand loyality. Whatever turns the crank now is what I'll ride and when it doesn't I'll find something that does. Don't think about it too much and don't get hung up on perceptions. If it feels right, it probably is. Just do it.

Goldwing if cost and size are no object.

If you want something littler and sporty, and bang for your buck, either the Bandit 1250 ABS, or the GSX650 ABS. The Kawasaki Versys is also in the hunt for touring ability, with sporting ability, and fun / $ is also high.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    ... GSX650 ABS. The Kawasaki Versys is also in the hunt for touring ability ...
    Not for 2-up as far as the misses is concerned.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Quote Originally Posted by YamaMana View Post
    Not for 2-up as far as the misses is concerned.
    GSX650 is the exact same bike as a Bandit 1250. Frame. Seat. Tank. Bars. Everything but the forks and the crank/rods/pistons. Even the engine block is identical. And the Bandit 1250 is a super 2 up bike.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I do have sport - touring (VFR800) and V Strom 1000. And I do have a few km on cruisers. For me, for 2 up definitly DL 1000 (sitting position similar to cruiser, but with much more leg room). And the fuel economy (specialy 2 up) there is not much difference between this one and 650 (if any). Bandit 1250? I've rode couple of times with a guy on Bandit and he had to fill up the gas tank twice before I had to stop for it. V-Strom (any model) is the one of the best values available on our market. PS For about $10000 you can get new 08 Honda Varadero as well. I would definitly took this one for a demo ride. Very nice bike. And... it's a HONDA man.
    Last edited by rick123; 06-12-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    Why do you have to be old to have a Goldwing? Those bikes are amazing.

Please don't dress up an M109R, thats totally blasphemy in my book. Do you ever see a guy dress up a V-Rod Nightrod for touring hundreds of miles? If yes, how many... probably none!!

Tell your girlfriend/wife to get their own bike
    Ha ha. Well it might happen. As for the goldwing, I do like them. But I want to get some other bikes out of my system first, the m109r at the top of the list.

I think I'm going to wait until I have the money before I make a final decision.

Whats sort of mileage do you get btw?
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

For sleekest, speed and comfort, I love my K1200LT. As you know I can ride all day AND night and have no problems with it. With the panalever front forks the bike never dives no matter how hard you brake. ABS, heated seats, heated grips, reverse, sound system, adjustable wind screen, 50-55 mpg make it a great riding bike. I ride 2 up fully loaded pulling a 500# trailer no problem. It is a little heavy, but once above 20kph it's a nibble beast that wants to go.

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    109R is a beautifully bike, but its not a 2up bike. Its designed to be a bad*** muscle cruiser, not a 2up tourer.

I was in same situation as you are now, my last bike was a M50. Loved the bike but then the wife started to tour with me, so I set it up for 2up riding by adding a windshield, seat and backrest. Killed the look of the bike and wasn't much better at 2 up touring.

After allot of research I found a bike that will do everything I need within my budget. I decided on the Bandit 1250 and never looked back. If I had a bigger budget it would have been a BMW sport-touring bike.
    Exactly what I got, the Bandit 1250, love the bike. Been on a few long rides with the wife. Last year we did Brantford - Lake Placid - Bangor - St John NB. Pretty long days. Gel seat made the ride much more tolerable. Solo it's an incredible machine. 2up it's a very good bike, I find it less comfortable 2 up simply because I have less room. 8-10 hour days get quite long on the Bandit for both of us. I still love it though.

I too would be looking at the BMW, either the 1200RT or 1300GT, if it was in the budget. In fact I spent tonight looking at reviews and such of the 1200RT. It's really tempting, I could probably talk the wife into it but there's more important things to spend money on at the moment. But if I do move up, these bikes will be top contenders.

As far as value goes, I think you'd be hard pressed to find everything that the Bandit offers for the same $ elsewhere. I picked up a 2k8 with just over 10k, after market exhaust, heated grips, gel seat, 2 sets of side cases, top case, 12V outlet, wired for heated clothes, bigger windscreen and all the original equipment (seat, screen, exhaust) for about 10K. About the only thing it doesn't have is cruise. Overall I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    Something a little different... Moto Guzzi Norge

This would be nice choice...You can get 2008 with low km (in USA) for about $8000 US.

Suzuki sv1000s, which is really good touring bike for 2 person. Lots of torque and get 300 km per tank and we do lots touring without her complaining much. Above all it goes around the corner like ss. You get the goodness of both world...

Quote Originally Posted by Superbike911 View Post
    Suzuki sv1000s, which is really good touring bike for 2 person. Lots of torque and get 300 km per tank and we do lots touring without her complaining much. Above all it goes around the corner like ss. You get the goodness of both world...
    300km per tank would be a downside for me. I am greedy though, wanting more more more in the fuel range. I get around 450 + kms per tank when touring and would still rather go longer without stopping for fuel.

The motto guzzi is a beautiful bike, but the dealer network is pretty small in ontario so parts, service, and other things might not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbike911 View Post
    Lol... you're kidding right? Wasnt there just a thread on the SV1000 where people complained about the riding position after a couple of hrs.

Serious sport touring requires

1) Shaft drive ... yeah I know... chain maintenance I've got both and the shaft oil change once a year is far easier and less hassle on the road

2) Integrated luggage ... no frickin bungee corded Beverly Hillbilly shots please

3) Adjustable windscreen ... on the fly tune it just right for rain and wind

Just on the fuel milage. This weekend I was getting 4.3L/100km (23.3km/L) on my wee-strom packed for the cottage (including cooler) which gives me a range of roughly 510km. I was topping up every 470km or so.
    Last edited by skip; 06-21-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Just on the fuel milage. This weekend I was getting 4.3L/100km (23.3km/L) on my wee-strom packed for the cottage (including cooler) which gives me a range of roughly 510km. I was topping up every 470km or so.
    Thats roughly what I get if I actually go dry. I get a warning saying I have 70 kms left on a tank. Once that pops up I usually do a fill up at the first station I see. Love having that kind of range. Means I can do a day of riding with only 1 fill up while on the trip and 1 fill up at the end of the day to prepare for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    1) Shaft drive ... yeah I know... chain maintenance I've got both and the shaft oil change once a year is far easier and less hassle on the road
    I think people over-think chain maintenance. cleaning simply isn't required, and literally ten seconds when you gas up is all it takes to lube.

2) Integrated luggage ... no frickin bungee corded Beverly Hillbilly shots please
    Integrated as from the manufacturer or are add on cases ok in your definition? I suspect I have much more flexibility in how I do my luggage than my friend does with his BM RT1200. He is limited to having the cases on all the time, I can switch from no topcase, a 52 litre topcase,, two 21 liter sidecases, two 41 litre sidecases or no sidecases. And I can change in seconds.

3) Adjustable windscreen ... on the fly tune it just right for rain and wind
    I have had a Madstad adjustable bracket on my bike for the last 115,000 km. I can adjust it while riding although to be honest I never need to adjust it now that I have the position right, and this works with either of my windshields.

Having said that I wouldn't call my V-Strom a sport tourer as that sounds like it limits what it can do so much, even though I often use it in that way.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report