Best bike for touring 2 up that isnt a cruiser - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best bike for touring 2 up that isnt a cruiser

Re: Best bike for touring 2 up that isnt a cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post
    Well, its not an option at the moment anyway. But I've been saving for a m109r (which I think i'll still need to get out of system at some point) So I guess my budget will be around $15,000 when I actually go shopping.

Sport touring makes alot of sense to me. I just never see people riding these bikes two up, and intuitively it doesnt look like it they would be comfortable for her in the same way the cruiser is. I'm fully prepared to stand corrected though. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Look at the C109R. I love it and power to spare. No problem for a 400kms ride. Nice big saddle to move around on. I am a heavy guy and love this bike. I have made some changes to mine for more power and really big bags to fit the bike. Dealer cost on this is around $11 000 for a 08. Just like the M109 but in a cruiser style.

Just put a deposit on a 2011 K1?00LT. New design, 6 cylinder. If it anything like my present LT it will be fantastic. Delivery Feb/Mar 2011

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by Garry_Kramer View Post
    Just put a deposit on a 2011 K1?00LT. New design, 6 cylinder. If it anything like my present LT it will be fantastic. Delivery Feb/Mar 2011

Garry
    Nice bikes!
    I've always wondered what is what like to pull a trailer. Does it feel the same as two up for braking?
    Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by missusfinz View Post
    Nice bikes!
    I've always wondered what is what like to pull a trailer. Does it feel the same as two up for braking?
    Ellie
    Depending on the load in the trailer if I have it fully loaded 500#+ it does take a little longer to stop. The ABS brakes on the LT are great. Really don't notice pulling the trailer other than gas mileage when loaded it tracks very well.

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

My new ST... I also have the top case and mount, just not installed yet. 400 kms to a tank, factory luggage, shaft drive, SSSA, brembos with braided lines, trip computer, heated grips.. new for around $10k USD. or $8k without the bags, centerstand, heated grips, more relaxed bars...

Only thing it lacks is wind protection which I will be resolving. Going to try a laminar lip and perhaps handguards, we'll see...

Last edited by Skurj; 06-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Just like Buddacide I'm interested in a new bike for some 2up touring with my wife, only I have no interest in a cruiser .Period.

When people suggest the Bandit or V-Strom I don't think of them as coming with any knid of luggage. Have all of those who use them had to add aftermarket gear? Or are there touring models I'm not aware of? If any of you could post pics it would be a great help.

My budget is ~10k, but that should include some extra touring gear for the two of us - good rain gear, pants for her etc.

As I asked in a new thread, how many here actually carry enough to camp while 2up?
    ride - if you want to

You can get v-strom's with factory cases. That being said most people add them themselves after deciding what they like/want/need. Givi, Shad, Caribou, and Happy Trails are some of the ones that I know work on the v-stroms. I am thinking about changing my Givi e21 side cases to a pair of happy trails for added room.

I have 2 up camped with my wee. It was tight because I have smaller cases. If I was going to do it more often I would get bigger ones for sure.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by missusfinz View Post
    Here's my baby with the side cases attached.
    Ellie
    Beautiful bike, you can strap a heap load of stuff to that back seat because its nice and flat. The only downside on my GS is I have the top case mount and that does not leave the back seat flat (with my rear seat off). So my tent and other things stuffed into a 55L dry bag sits on somewhat of an angel. Works as a nice backrest, but would love to have it nice and flat and level with the hard bags.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Just like Buddacide I'm interested in a new bike for some 2up touring with my wife, only I have no interest in a cruiser .Period.

When people suggest the Bandit or V-Strom I don't think of them as coming with any knid of luggage. Have all of those who use them had to add aftermarket gear? Or are there touring models I'm not aware of? If any of you could post pics it would be a great help.

My budget is ~10k, but that should include some extra touring gear for the two of us - good rain gear, pants for her etc.

As I asked in a new thread, how many here actually carry enough to camp while 2up?
    Both the bandit and v-strom can be purchased with luggage from the dealer, check the suzuki website the variants are shown there.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post

Just go to v-strom riders international or strom troopers.com (even more) and you gone see a lot of luggage oportunities. V-Strom you can get from the dealer as GT model with OEM cases. If you need larger cases go to GIVI. I do use E-41. Very convinient cases.
    Last edited by rick123; 07-16-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Dirtbag, this be my 2008 Bandit 1250;
    Attachment 19274

i've got an r1200gs adv and my girlfriend only finds it comfortable for a couple hundred kms (that's with topcase/backrest & airhawk). the passenger seat isn't really designed for long ride comfort, and the backrest isn't all that great, either.

i love the gs, but am wondering if the RT would have been a better option where rider+passenger is concerned. unfortunately, it's even HEAVIER!

i would look at the v stroms. i think they are the best bang for the buck. i have a valkyrie interstate and i love it but it has its drawbacks which i am willing to overlook.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    i've got an r1200gs adv and my girlfriend only finds it comfortable for a couple hundred kms (that's with topcase/backrest & airhawk). the passenger seat isn't really designed for long ride comfort, and the backrest isn't all that great, either.

i love the gs, but am wondering if the RT would have been a better option where rider+passenger is concerned. unfortunately, it's even HEAVIER!
    Hi,
    I used to own a Honda Shadow Aero 750. My RT feels a lot lighter than that bike. At 507 lbs., I think it is actually lighter than a lot of cruisers.
    The RT is incredibly well balanced. I ride two up quite often. I only feel the passenger weight when I am coming to a stop. I don't sense the engine working any harder when we are moving. The passenger seat is so large, the passenger can sit farther back. It's nice not being crowded while I ride.
    Ellie