Trip out west - help meh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip out west - help meh!

Trip out west - help meh!

Yo guys,

I'm planning a trip out west to the rockies, I'm on a 250 (which i'll be getting checked over before I head out)

This was the initial idea:

Distance: 1700 miles / 2800 km Route:

400 - 69 - 17(w) - 11(w) - Trans-Canada West to Calgary

I'd be going around mid-august, and i'd have 14 days, so I figure 5 days out there, couple days chillax and 5 days back with a day or two extra in case.

Anyone done this trek before or in the same direction?
    In terms of the actual trip/ride any pointers on what would be essential to take or have etc?
    Any advice you could give? Input/suggestions would be appreciated.
    "A Journey of a Thousand Miles, Begins with a Single Rev" - Confucius (Edited )

Re: Trip out west - help meh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Yo guys,

I'm planning a trip out west to the rockies, I'm on a 250 (which i'll be getting checked over before I head out)

This was the initial idea:

Distance: 1700 miles / 2800 km Route:

400 - 69 - 17(w) - 11(w) - Trans-Canada West to Calgary

I'd be going around mid-august, and i'd have 14 days, so I figure 5 days out there, couple days chillax and 5 days back with a day or two extra in case.

In terms of the actual trip/ride any pointers on what would be essential to take or have etc?
    Was planning on doing that trip this summer, but things have changed and will be doing it by car around the same time your going as I work my west to drop my sister of a university in BC.

Are you camping? Hotels?

If your not camping you can pack really light. Rain gear is important, and make sure your rain gear actually works. I like to keep a tool roll and a tire repair kit if something happens you can at least limp to somewhere to get it fixed. Other then that, just enjoy what happens.

I went to Salt Lake City (and then south from there) last year. It wasn't really the Rockies. I took the interstates. Actually I took the interstates for most of the way.. It wasn't a "twisty scenic roads" kind of a trip.. :P

The must-have things: rain gear, maps (+ GPS), warm clothes (to block/counteract the wind). Try to take small amount of things (it makes it easier to pack/unpack every night).

From what I heard there is nothing interesting between here and the Rockies, so you may be bored. Unless you specifically want to take your route (Trans-Canada Highway), I'd consider interstates. It's relatively easy (and cheap) to find accomodation on the way near the interstates.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

STay off the main highways when you can. Consider coming back through the US.

I am flying to seattle and riding back starting next week, I'm coming back via the US.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    Was planning on doing that trip this summer, but things have changed and will be doing it by car around the same time your going as I work my west to drop my sister of a university in BC.

Are you camping? Hotels?

If your not camping you can pack really light. Rain gear is important, and make sure your rain gear actually works. I like to keep a tool roll and a tire repair kit if something happens you can at least limp to somewhere to get it fixed. Other then that, just enjoy what happens.
    Yeah I can budget for hotels more or less, so that's good to know.
    Ok thanks for the suggestion man, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    I went to Salt Lake City (and then south from there) last year. It wasn't really the Rockies. I took the interstates. Actually I took the interstates for most of the way.. It wasn't a "twisty scenic roads" kind of a trip.. :P

The must-have things: rain gear, maps (+ GPS), warm clothes (to block/counteract the wind). Try to take small amount of things (it makes it easier to pack/unpack every night).

From what I heard there is nothing interesting between here and the Rockies, so you may be bored. Unless you specifically want to take your route (Trans-Canada Highway), I'd consider interstates. It's relatively easy (and cheap) to find accomodation on the way near the interstates.
    So Tran-Canada isn't really scenic zilch?

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post

I am flying to seattle and riding back starting next week, I'm coming back via the US.
    Yeah a few people mentioned that, but my passport won't be back in time lol so it'll have to be all-canadian!

Out of interest though, why are the main highways not a good idea? In terms of safety or boredom?

So Tran-Canada isn't really scenic zilch?
    I don't know. I have never been on it. I wouldn't expect it to be interesting between here and Alberta and it wouldn't be my first choice of a road. Don't let that stop you from taking it though. But if you take it, let us know how it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post

I don't know. I have never been on it. I wouldn't expect it to be interesting between here and Alberta and it wouldn't be my first choice of a road. Don't let that stop you from taking it though. But if you take it, let us know how it was.
    Right on I'll have to get some more reviews, there is an alternate "southern" road that I saw aswell.

On a side note, did you do any oil changes before you made your trip back? Or one before was good enough? And would it be a good idea to carry a bottle of extra gas?

On a side note, did you do any oil changes before you made your trip back?
    On a 8,500km trip I made last year, I stopped half-way at a Kawi dealership and got an oil change done.

On a 8,500km trip I made last year, I stopped half-way at a Kawi dealership and got an oil change done.
    Ok cool, thanks man!

I completely misread that as the Colorado Rockies as thats what I have been in the works of planning for the last few days. The Trans Canada is incredibly boring, especially when you hit the prairies. Riding through the states is much better, but not all that exciting either.

How would your passport not be back in time for mid August? I got mine in a week and a half.

I am assuming you have not really done any trips yet. I would suggest try a few weekend trips of a 1000kms, see how you feel, its a long way out west on a small bike like that. It can be done of course, but you might find your really not interested in that length on your current ride.

I find the first day is always the worst, but after that your body grows accustomed to it and you can just eat the miles up with no problem, at least thats how it works for me. I am planning a similar trip by car, but taking a much longer way, heading to Denver Colorado, then from there to Langley BC and flying home from there. Wish it was on my bike obviously, but I will take any road trip when it arrises. Gear is very important, make sure you have quality gear that is comfortable as you will be wearing it for countless hours. Dont cheap out.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    I completely misread that as the Colorado Rockies as thats what I have been in the works of planning for the last few days. The Trans Canada is incredibly boring, especially when you hit the prairies. Riding through the states is much better, but not all that exciting either.

How would your passport not be back in time for mid August? I got mine in a week and a half.

I am assuming you have not really done any trips yet. I would suggest try a few weekend trips of a 1000kms, see how you feel, its a long way out west on a small bike like that. It can be done of course, but you might find your really not interested in that length on your current ride.

I find the first day is always the worst, but after that your body grows accustomed to it and you can just eat the miles up with no problem, at least thats how it works for me. I am planning a similar trip by car, but taking a much longer way, heading to Denver Colorado, then from there to Langley BC and flying home from there. Wish it was on my bike obviously, but I will take any road trip when it arrises. Gear is very important, make sure you have quality gear that is comfortable as you will be wearing it for countless hours. Dont cheap out.
    Ahhh gotcha, I'll have to link into alternate roads then.

Yeah my passport situation is complicated, I'm technically an Englishman, and I've applied for citizenship (which I get early 2011) and my UK passport expired and I'm not reapplying etc etc

I've done a few longish rides, up to Bancroft and back same day, that was a lot of mile'age and a solid weekend going down to Niagara-on-the-lake, all weekend and back up again. No way near the distances I'm aiming to cover you're right there, but physically I think I should be ok (sore but nothing ventured, nothing gained :P)

Great advice though, tyvm! I'll definitely be investing in some quality gloves and some luggage.

Your trip sounds like it'll be a blast too, thanks for the pointers bro!

Find some saddle bags and a tail bag, that will give you plenty of storage. Stay away from a backpack, especially with the length of riding you will be doing. Also when going up N. Ontario, be sure you now your fuel range, there are a few stretches it can be a tad scarce.

Gear I take with me when going on a trip are:
    1 - rain gloves
    1 - regular gloves
    1 - jacket
    1 - jacket liner (warmth and water proof)
    1 - rain suit (either 1 piece or a 2 piece suit)
    1 - riding pants

I dont pack a lot of cloths, just some to keep me presentable, though I could care less about wearing the same pants for an entire trip.

You may want to look at a tank bag as well, nice place to keep the wallet, cell phone, and other little things you don't want to riffle through in saddle bags for. I am lucky where I have more storage then I know what to do with:

Its been a while since I have packed a smaller bike. Think bare necessities, as your bike is small and you don't want to load it down either. Envious of your trip, still have yet to do a cross country trip by bike yet, enjoy it!

Wonderings that is awesome man, and a sweet setup you got there on that ride!

Yeah I was leaning toward a tank bag + tailbag with an extra pack under a cargo net how you have setup there.

Any suggestions on gloves? I have rain gear, jacket etc but not rain gloves or riding pants.

Good pointer on the backpack I had thought about taking one, but you made a solid point there.

I use Aerostich triple digit rain covers for rain gloves. You can get waterproof gloves but they hardly ever stay dry, and even then some of the 'waterproof' gloves will be soggy wet leather even though your hands may stay close to dry...

Take a few pairs of gloves if you can, the time of year you are going should see some warm temperatures, so probably not much need of some cold weather gloves. If you have the covers you can use those as an extra layer if needed.

They aren't cheap but they work well, pack small, and they will last a long time.

You may also want to consider cycling shorts, or something like ldcomfort riding shorts. You won't be sorry...

My gear list...

Jacket
    Electric liner
    1 pr cold weather gloves
    1 pr medium weight gloves
    1 pr vented gloves
    riding pants (aerostich Ad1)
    waterproof touring boots
    Rain jacket - the AD1's are waterproof anyways

This year I will be adding a waterproof touring jacket. Its nice not to have to stop and mess aboot putting the rain suit on. Mastered putting the rain glove covers on while on the move..

Oops I also pack a couple microfibre cloths for cleaning visors on the road.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport

I havent done many >3 day road trips on the bike, but quite a few long ones (ie >1 month) in the car.

Something I've learned is to stop early, and find a place to stay. Like, if it's 5pm, and theres a place to stay, and 'maybe' another place to stay 2h ahead, stop now.

Because otherwise, 1 time out of 5, you end up driving around tired and hungry in the dark at 8 oclock trying to find somewhere to stay because the place you were hoping to stay was full or super expensive or something, and then you need to find somewhere to eat at 9 at night, then you get to bed at 1030, and you're totally exhausted...and then the next morning you just hate life.

vs having a relaxing stress-free evening, and getting an early start. I always love riding/driving at daybreak, seeing the world come alive, feel it warm up, empty roads, it's just better that way.

Also, if you arrive after 6 and leave before the warden shows up at 7, you don't have to pay for the campsite

I have done this trip over 10 times by car. It's over 2200kms from Toronto to the ontario boarder and takes two days by car. Stick to the trans-canada in ontario, in the north it is nice and twisty. The prairies are kind of boaring but they go by fast (1 day). It'll be a sweet trip on a bike. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I havent done many >3 day road trips on the bike, but quite a few long ones (ie >1 month) in the car.

Something I've learned is to stop early, and find a place to stay. Like, if it's 5pm, and theres a place to stay, and 'maybe' another place to stay 2h ahead, stop now.

Because otherwise, 1 time out of 5, you end up driving around tired and hungry in the dark at 8 oclock trying to find somewhere to stay because the place you were hoping to stay was full or super expensive or something, and then you need to find somewhere to eat at 9 at night, then you get to bed at 1030, and you're totally exhausted...and then the next morning you just hate life.
    Good advice, I usually start the day early and am finding hotel or whatever by 5 pm... hit the shower, then hit the licensed establishment until things get blurry, then bed!

And do it again the next day!

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport

Here's my setup from the Victoria Day weekend (with a couple of extra days added):

I think it's over 3500kms to Calgary.

I was planning a similar trip around August to either Alberta or Saskatchewan on my 250cc scooter probably mainly using transcanada. Will do some stops for scenery and such. Still in the planning stages but I won't be coming back for an indefinite time.