Trip out west - help meh! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trip out west - help meh!

Re: Trip out west - help meh!

I did this trip in the winter when i moved to BC...here is basically my summery of what i did and maybe some suggestions.

Day 1 - Toronto to Sturgeon Falls ON.

(4 hour drive just getting a head start for the trip) left late afternoon was going to stay at my cottage but $50 for the motel seemed worth it instead of driving along a dirt road for 30 mins and getting to a cold cottage and having to stoke a fire so its was more convenient for the motel

Day 2 - Sturgeon Falls - Thunder Bay (1100km)

left early in the morning...if you wanted to toronto to thunder bay is a long day but if you left at 4 or 5 am on the first day you can hit thunder bay at say 6,7,8pm...would be a long first day but let me tell you ontario is boring until you get north of lake Superior.

Day 3 - Thunder Bay - Regina SK (1300km)

left at 5am or so it was pitch black and cold as hell...are initial plan was to stop in brandon manitoba but when we got there it was only 4pm so we said the hell with it and kept on route to regina and got there about 7pm...from manitoba-calgary you make up some great time...speed limit is 110 and no one has an issue with 120 130...and it seems people know what the left lane is for.

Day 4 - Regina - Calgary AB (760km)

got a hotel in regina to get a really nice sleep slept in late until 10am didnt leave until 11:30...we stayed with my cousins in calgary so it was a super sort day.

Day 5 - Calgary - Port Moody BC (1000km)

best day of the trip...left calgary at about 6am drove through the mountains all day twistin and turning, up hill/down hill for about 9-10 hours...

from toronto to Vancouver if wanted to you could do it in 3-4 days with the will to do it then cruise back to toronto ever so slowly.

if i could do the trip on my bike i would ride bc for 4 days and head back, ride alberta for another 2 and book it back to northern ontario and take my time...round trip toronto-vancouver would clock you in at over 9000km...try to hit gas every time you can in northern ontario it gets bad...sask is not the greatest and then again after calgary it gets slim and few. and honestly the prairies are flat and straight and the sun is in your eyes the entire time but i really enjoyed sask...other then that the mountains and northern ontario are great.

heres a little vid of my trip

http://vimeo.com/9561903

Re: Trip out west - help meh!

Ah sweet breakdown man, thanks for the info with mileage and the times you left.

I think the bonus being that making the trip in summer there's daylight for longer.

The gas seems to be an issue in N Ontario, any particular stretch (between 2 cities) that seems to be rough?

I'm going to be taking a spare can to fill up before I hit one of those stretches, the 250 isn't too bad on mileage.

It's a US bike, but from what I've experienced it goes 180 miles before I need to switch to reserve, after that I'm not too sure how long it lasts.

But 180 miles is roughly 288km based on my awesome calculations? Confirm/Deny anyone?
    "A Journey of a Thousand Miles, Begins with a Single Rev" - Confucius (Edited )