Beginner Etiquette?

Thread: Beginner Etiquette?

Beginner Etiquette?

Hey guys and gals, new rider. Just got M1 and a bike and lovin' it.

Wanted to ask about riding etiquette. For example, today I came up behind another rider on the road. Do I fall into "formation" behind and to the right of this rider, even if I don't know him (or don't know if he has seen me behind him)? Or do I hang back and keep my distance?

And more generally, I wanted to open up discussion on what riding etiquette you wish all new riders were told. Besides obvious safety and driving skills, are there unwritten rules or "no-no's" that should be . . . written?

Cheers
    Last edited by quimby; 06-08-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Re: Beginner Etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by quimby View Post
    Hey guys and gals, new rider. Just got M1 and a bike and lovin' it.

Wanted to ask about riding etiquette. For example, today I came up behind another rider on the road. Do I fall into "formation" behind and to the right of this rider, even if I don't know him (or don't know if he has seen me behind him)? Or do I hang back and keep my distance?

And more generally, I wanted to open up discussion on what riding etiquette you wish all new riders were told. Besides obvious safety and driving skills, are there unwritten rules or "no-no's" that should be . . . written?

Cheers

Welcome.

Generally nothing wrong with what you proposed. You both are in the same situation where you are seeking the best possible lane position and if that happens to be the same lane, fall back and allow that person ahead of you to lead.

I keep my distance, as I don't know the rider and their riding abilities or what their intentions are in terms of where they are going, how they will react to traffic changes, etc.

If you don't know the person hang back and give them space. You only ride staggered in a group or if you know the person.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

i usually get into a stagered position but hang back as well. that way the other rider will see me in their mirror.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by silent_vik View Post
    i usually get into a stagered position but hang back as well. that way the other rider will see me in their mirror.
    +1 Staggered, but double the normal distance in case they aren't used to riding in formation. Basically I keep back the same distance as if I was following a car.

Treat them as just another vehicle.

Scan. Evaluate. Execute.

I'd leave myself the same time & space buffer as I would when following any other vehicle.
    After all, you know very little about the rider's experience, skill, state-of-mind, condition of vehicle, etc. ... just like all the other vehicle's around you so ... "S.E.E." and just consider him another mobile threat, er, I mean motorist.

Just a note....the staggered riding position has been discussed before... But remember two is not a group. You stagger with three...you always want to have the trailing rider to be in the blocking position as if you were riding alone.

So with two people no staggering occurs. With even numbers the last person should also be in the traditional blocking position...