Halifax trip 2010 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halifax trip 2010

Re: Halifax trip 2010

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Nah, don't plan out all your stops, that's overkill. For CAA you need CAA Plus or better, basic won't cover motorcycles, and Premium works for the AAA when you're in the US. (CAA Plus will still pay for help in the States, but they will only reimburse you afterwards)
    The only thing to consider is that at busier times of the year it may be a bit tougher to find accommodations if you're totally winging it.

make sure you make the trip to peggy's cove...take the ""Lighthouse Route""...look for a house thats has a painted mural of the ocean called Peggy of the cove...you'll never look at peggys cove the same way again
    http://peggyofthecove.com/

The cabot trail is a must, make the time to do whale watching.
    http://www.cabottrail.travel/

if you are in new brunswick and have never been to hope well rocks its a must!!
    http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/English/index.htm

Halifax has alot of history, depending what you are interested in, it may sound odd, but if anyone every visits graveyards, Fairview Cemetery in Halifax is the most visit graveyard due to victims of the Titanic being buried there, also, the grave marked J dawson is the most visited grave in the world

I'm from nfld, and have done two motorcycles trips to the east coast, one including the rock, and well be going back again in July (hopefully) this time we are trailing the bikes to Moncton, to save time on the boring trip from ontario to Newbrunswick...that way we have more time to explore and have fun

Best advice is just to wing most of the trip, unless you have to book ferry crossings, theres nothing worst than having to be somewhere at a certain time.
    Don't worry about getting accomdations, there tons of places to stay. I would bring a tent/sleeping bag, cause there are some beautiful spots to camp, especially on the cabot trail

Ohh as for weather...you're by the ocean, the weather is unpredicable...pack shorts/a warm jacket and rain gear

didn't read through everything..probably already said but go do the cabot trail!! my friends own a motorcycle themed bed and breakfast near the trail. it's called cabot trail motorcycle retreat. they're amazing people and from toronto originally.

plus you should go near august 8-10 so you can watch the nationals at shubie!

have fun on your trip!!

Been to Cabot trail sevral times once in September, one in August and one in June.

I was ther June last year and I will recomend going early, since it will still be off season for the hotels/inns at cabot trail and you may have a good deal on price and less tourist traffic.
    Also due to the changing weather there were lots of whales /dolphins in pleasant bay as compared to the other times I was there. I highhly recomend whale watching on a zodiac boat when you go up cabot trail/pleasant bay area.

Have fun. And watch for moose
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    Been to Cabot trail sevral times once in September, one in August and one in June.

I was ther June last year and I will recomend going early, since it will still be off season for the hotels/inns at cabot trail and you may have a good deal on price and less tourist traffic.
    Also due to the changing weather there were lots of whales /dolphins in pleasant bay as compared to the other times I was there. I highhly recomend whale watching on a zodiac boat when you go up cabot trail/pleasant bay area.

Have fun. And watch for moose

I also recommend not get hammered the night before you have to get on the zodiac..oh also if you get motion sick, don't take the zodiac...I've never been so sick my whole life, i hung over the boat and puked, and the whales were so close i puked on one of their tales

Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post
    I also recommend not get hammered the night before you have to get on the zodiac..oh also if you get motion sick, don't take the zodiac...I've never been so sick my whole life, i hung over the boat and puked, and the whales were so close i puked on one of their tales
    Now I know why the whale pooped beside the zodiac when we where there..........

They thought we were the same bikers who puked at them...

We saw about a meter below the surface and less than a meter from the boat the whale rotated and when its belly was up ---pooped
    ... suddenly the water turned cloudy green and bubbles rise to the surface........
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

also if you get a chance you can head to south maitland and run the tidal bore rapids in a zodiac. if i could i would post a link on this thread .

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    Now I know why the whale pooped beside the zodiac when we where there..........

They thought we were the same bikers who puked at them...

We saw about a meter below the surface and less than a meter from the boat the whale rotated and when its belly was up ---pooped
    ... suddenly the water turned cloudy green and bubbles rise to the surface........

lol...nice!!!

hey guys, finally book the time off. Going to try to go on july 12th.

Does anybody know a good spot for me to stop between quebec city and Fredericton, the 600km is a bit of a long haul for me and moncton is only 169km away woudnt mind stopping somewhere nice on the way.

We stopped in Grand Falls, nice town with a bunch of Hotels/Motels and restaurants. Probably a perfect distance in between.

Here is the route we took if it helps
    Last edited by bdearlove; 06-29-2010 at 08:10 AM.

I just did the Gaspe, PEI, Cabot trail and there is no shortage of fueling and motel opportunities. I wouldn't overplan.

On the long slog home thru New Brunswick I got off the main hiwy(2) at Grand Falls and jumped on 144 thru south Edmunston which turns to 120 and then 289. A very pleasant surprise.

Meat Cove is cool.
    soaked and upset

Smile Re: Halifax trip 2010

Thanks for the plug Jess!

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction View Post
    didn't read through everything..probably already said but go do the cabot trail!! my friends own a motorcycle themed bed and breakfast near the trail. it's called cabot trail motorcycle retreat. they're amazing people and from toronto originally.

plus you should go near august 8-10 so you can watch the nationals at shubie!

have fun on your trip!!
    Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat
    http://www.ctmcretreat.com

1993 YZF750
    1988 NT650 Hawk
    1988 DR750
    1953 BSA C-11