Anyone been to Forks recently?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Forks recently?

Anyone been to Forks recently?

My friend and i are planning a trip up there tomorrow how are the roads there? we have never been up there before I have heard stories of local residents spilling gravel / dirt to trip up the riders, i hope its not true. Also whats the speed limit there?
    87 Ninja250 / 01 Ninja250 / 08 Ninja250 / 91 CBR400RR (current)

Re: Anyone been to Forks recently?

roads are good. all smooth and paved. presence most certainly on the weekends. lot of ppl there on the weekends too. expect some cars just chilling on the side and ppl walking around enjoying the scenary. speed limit is 50km/h at the forks. roads leading upto it i think 80 km/h.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

Banned

The speed limit is 50 kmph right from Highway 10 all the way west past the Forks and on throughto the edge of Belfountain. Speed limit in Belfountain itself is 40 kmph.

Haven't seen any dirt / gravel as of a couple of days ago.
    Take your time on the road....it's been gettin alot of attention these days...don't speed but, do enjoy!
    All the neighbours I see are still waiving to me...hopefully we can keep it that way!
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

Last edited by inreb; 06-02-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    soaked and upset

Just pulled in, frogg toggs leak like regular clothes. OK, not quite but what the hey

Roads are fine. Shed was empty today except for whiney locals and bad music. Buddy and I had a nice screaming session.
    soaked and upset

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    Just pulled in, frogg toggs leak like regular clothes. OK, not quite but what the hey

Roads are fine. Shed was empty today except for whiney locals and bad music. Buddy and I had a nice screaming session.
    details please, this sounds like a good story
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    details please, this sounds like a good story
    not really,

bench racing required raised voices due to elevated hick music, the nerve....
    soaked and upset

Banned

Was there a couple weeks back, nothing but cops and noisy chrome couch dudes with doo rags, leather vests and patches.

Was up there tonight...Happy to report all is GOOD!!!!!
    .................If you are gonna ride my *ss, at least pull my hair..
    SMILE. It's the second best thing you can do with your lips KNOW YOUR LIMIT, RIDE WITHIN IT......please no more R.I.P
    RIDE SAFE ALL,
    Smiles...Kari
    02' GSX600F, 05' Hayabusa
    SPONSOR ME......... http://www.runforthecure.com/site/TR...nal&fr_id=1094

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=900740584

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...cancitieson_en

Was there yesterday around 4:30, beautiful day, road was clean. Very few bikes in the area, passed only 1 other rider during my run through. Then stopped at the Shed, maybe 15 bikes in Belfountain. I've never seen so few bikes there on such a nice day. Shed's parking lot is repaved and they've placed many plywood stand pads all around. Staff was cheerful and friendly. Girl serving told me they much preferred motorcyclists over bicyclists. Apparently we are nicer and our money isn't soaked with butt sweat.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by NewfieBoy View Post
    Was there a couple weeks back, nothing but cops and noisy chrome couch dudes with doo rags, leather vests and patches.
    and that's the way it should be, dame rice rockets f-ing it up for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by karigotu View Post
    Was up there tonight...Happy to report all is GOOD!!!!!

I didn't see you there. LOL. There was what looked like the popo doing radar on the east at the end (first intersection). I think it was someone that was there to try and slow things down. I rode by him a second time and noticed the bright vest he was wearing did not say police on it and the black car/ no decals he had was a G6. I should have taken pix.

The roads are very good/ clean.

Banned

No. Totally and awfully wrong. The effin unprotective gear wearin, dooraggin, patchy vest wearing peanuts riding their noisy chrome couches were tearing up and down the forks.....granted they physically couldnt get those things going very fast with their massive girth and their legs sticking out like wings...but none the less they were trying. And those uggo bikes were waaay more noisy then any rice ricket and more dangerous when trying to ride them faster then they should. Bc their bike cant take a turn faster then idle without sliding into oblivion on those shiny pipes 3 inches off the pavement. And im sure the 200lb of luggage doesnt help either. LOL @ u guys.
    What do you think is more brutal on insurance claims? a $5000 bike which can take a turn, or a 900 lb top heavy $30000 decker with a fat dude in midlife crisis and winglegs trying his best to be uber cool (patchy vests and pointy boots) and taking turns as fast as that noisy piece of **** can go. Ill put my money on the rice rocket for safety. More accidents happen every year on those giant touring bikes by far then SS bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2 View Post
    and that's the way it should be, dame rice rockets f-ing it up for everybody.
    Last edited by NewfieBoy; 06-10-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Banned

More accidents happen every year on those giant touring bikes by far then SS bikes.
    The stats would beg to differ. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories
    Here's a breakdown of deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles in 2005:

• Supersport drivers: 22.5 per 10,000
    • Sport and unclad sport bikes: 10.7 per 10,000
    • Cruisers and standard motorcycles: 5.7 per 10,000
    • Touring motorcycles: 6.5 per 10,000
    • Other/unknown: 4.3 per 10,000
    • Total: 7.5 per 10,000
    These are US-based stats so you have to keep in mind some differences in riding environment and laws, especially helmet laws which have a huge effect on fatality rates.

Keep in mind that even in the US, sport and supersport riders are far more likely to be properly geared up as compared to cruiser riders who tend to wear little or no protective gear at all. Even with all their protective gear though, sport and supersport riders are dying in much larger numbers than their cruiser counterparts, and much of that comes down to broad differences in respective risk taking and riding styles between the groups as a whole.

^ Bear in mind that this does not account for differences in rider experience, annual mileage, etc. Few people buy a Gold Wing as a first bike.

The MAIDS study corrected for other factors. http://www.maids-study.eu/ (only available to members). When corrections are made for operator experience level, exposure, etc., there was not a significant correlation between "type / style" and collision rates. (The person about to turn left in front of you, who does not see you, neither knows nor cares about what type of bike you are on.)

The tendency for riders of supersport bikes to be young, male, and less experienced leads to higher collision rates for that type.

It's certainly not correct to say that a supersport bike is "safer". When the characteristics of the operator are corrected for, they're all about the same.

Banned

hm. That's not what Paul south from surnet told me based on insurance claims numbers. But hey, maybe US cruiser riders are more Or less competent. I'd rather take a hard turn on a SS anyday over a big cruiser. Ever watch the asshats leaning those things up there. Makes me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    The stats would beg to differ. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

These are US-based stats so you have to keep in mind some differences in riding environment and laws, especially helmet laws which have a huge effect on fatality rates.

Keep in mind that even in the US, sport and supersport riders are far more likely to be properly geared up as compared to cruiser riders who tend to wear little or no protective gear at all. Even with all their protective gear though, sport and supersport riders are dying in much larger numbers than their cruiser counterparts, and much of that comes down to broad differences in respective risk taking and riding styles between the groups as a whole.

Banned

hm. That's not what Paul south from surnet told me based on insurance claims numbers. But hey, maybe US cruiser riders are more Or less competent. I'd rather take a hard turn on a SS anyday over a big cruiser. Ever watch the asshats leaning those things up there. Makes me lol.
    That's the point. A typical cruiser rider is less likely to take a hard turn or be in a rush. It's about the cruise, not the chicken strips, and that difference in riding style makes a big difference in crash potential.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post

LOL, you quote statistics! Ingenious.

While SS riders in the US crash and die, here in Canada those statistics are clearly reflected in insurance premiums. Increased premiums correlate to increased risk. Does this not make logical sense?

Banned

You quote ppl making quotes! Ingenious! Were you trying to jump on the bandwagen of the winning team without involving yourself in the game? Lots of benchwarmers here. At least i have a point.

All im trying to say is when i was at the forks riding around, there were more "cruisers" killing their bigshitter bikes around as there were SS bikes. And sport bikes are more capable of ripping around then their big sluggish crappy tired, bouncy cousins. All of those tards were wearing vests, skullcaps and no gloves. In this instance, who is in a more capabable safer position to rip?

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    LOL, you quote statistics! Ingenious.

While SS riders in the US crash and die, here in Canada those statistics are clearly reflected in insurance premiums. Increased premiums correlate to increased risk. Does this not make logical sense?