How fast do you take the curves on the 507? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast do you take the curves on the 507?

Re: How fast do you take the curves on the 507?

I'll throw in a word of caution as I have been going to a friend's cottage on the 507 for the past 13yrs and have spent a lot of time there over the years. There are a LOT of driveways and small cottage roads on the 507, many of them just around a blind corner or at the top/bottom of a hill where they are hard to see. There are also a lot of cottages down each of these roads which equals lots of cars. I know that it can be an entertaining road to ride but please watch your speed. In the 13 yrs my friend has had his cottage there, he hasn't seen a summer go by where some speeding bike hasn't t-boned a car that was pulling out onto the 507. It even happened to their neighbour last summer. He came to a stop with his truck, looked left, looked right, looked left again and then pulled out, and.....CRASH! A bike came up over the hill (the road is at the bottom of a hill on the 507 right next to Baldwin's Bay Marina) and slammed into the side of his truck. The rider was hurt but not critically. The bike was a right-off and the rider was deemed at fault for speeding and reckless.

Just some food for thought for anyone heading up there for a ride. There are lots of roads around with way fewer driveways and roads on them you can enjoy at speed better than the 507.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

$2.99
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Like Morrisey said, be careful! One of our longtime and beloved riders got wiped out last year on the 507, she was found without fault, but is still recovering!
    Between the traffic on that road and the speed traps.. ect, I avoid it completely.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

Considering I'm still on malaria meds for a few weeks, slow to very slow.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Cottage creep has made the road less interesting to me. It was also pretty danged rough last time I rode on it (~3 years ago).
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

[QUOTE=SuzukiCruiser;1294505]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    You are not going to beat many sport bikes 0-60 or quarter mile ...

Thanks, but I know what sports bikes can do, about 300Kph in the straight aways and about 260Kph in the corners, the question was what can cruisers do. Basically to put another way is how much is technology, if the same rider was riding both types of bike.

As for being able to beat Sports bikes in straight line, how many can do it in 11.07 Seconds? A GSX-R 600 can do it in 10 seconds, and you find me a 600 cc production bike quicker than the Gixxer? A Ninja 650 cc does the 1/4 mile in 12.02, a ZX-6R 11.13, CRB600RR 10.48. Okay, oaky, you can find better and worse times for each bike, but the Magna has no problems keeping up with 600 class sports bikes. Its the corners where they are killing me.

The problem I had is they can't catch me coming out of the corners, and certainly can't pass me in the straight aways...they could pass me in the corners, but wouldn't take the chance.

Of course I was exceeding the posted speeds, theoretically, but the only time my license was theoretically in danger of being taken away was in the straight sections, not the turns.

OKay, so one Cruiser rider has stated 120-130Kph no problem.. and the Liter sports bike scan do 260 from start to end, which also sounds about right for the Liter Bike.

Anyways thats everyone for your comments!
    " they can't catch me coming out of the corner " ??? 94 Magna vs Sportbike?? Really?

You have awesome skillz.
    ride - if you want to

Maybe Jordan Szoke should be riding a '94 Magna instead of a CBR1000 in the Parts Canada Superbike Series.

Ya right, I'm sure he'll get right on *that* idea.

once again there are very few answers that answer the original posters topic. i usually can keep an average of about 110km/hr and i feel well in control and i usually have a passenger on my valkyrie interstate.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

129km/hr but slower, more technical roads are preferred. The 507 is a good road to warm up on or go for a cruise 2up.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

[QUOTE=dirtbag;1300113]
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiCruiser View Post

" they can't catch me coming out of the corner " ??? 94 Magna vs Sportbike?? Really?

You have awesome skillz.
    LMAO!
    Ya OK!
    Give me a break!
    Try to keep it real my friend!
    Last edited by 08CBR1000; 06-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    once again there are very few answers that answer the original posters topic. i usually can keep an average of about 110km/hr and i feel well in control and i usually have a passenger on my valkyrie interstate.
    Dang Hammerman you always want to cut right to the chase.

So.... 507 - I know I have ridden it. Surely more than once or twice, but it's just one of many roads I've ridden over the years and can't say exactly what speed. I would be suprised if I wasn't exceeding the limit through most of it.

As a general rule wherever there are yellow caution speed signs I find I can double that number and not get into trouble. On my old sohc honda that reads in MPH I could usually just assume that the number was in MPH and take it at that ( 30KPH = 30MPH).
    ride - if you want to

If the OP is asking what can his particular bike do well that depends on the bike.

Most riders never outride their bikes and tires.

That being said most bikes and cruisers especially have those little nipples on the bottom of the pegs. If you are feeling them scraping or your floor boars are scraping you are at the limit, back off a bit.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Dang Hammerman you always want to cut right to the chase.

So.... 507 - I know I have ridden it. Surely more than once or twice, but it's just one of many roads I've ridden over the years and can't say exactly what speed. I would be suprised if I wasn't exceeding the limit through most of it.

As a general rule wherever there are yellow caution speed signs I find I can double that number and not get into trouble. On my old sohc honda that reads in MPH I could usually just assume that the number was in MPH and take it at that ( 30KPH = 30MPH).

my wife complains about that too.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Was out there the other day with lil red bird. Bit of gravel on some of the corners out there, so be careful.

[QUOTE=08CBR1000;1300708]
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    LMAO!
    Ya OK!
    Give me a break!
    Try to keep it real my friend!

First I am talking about 600 CC class sportsbikes, not liter sportsbikes.
    And no I won't give you a break because you have no clue how fast a 1994 Magna is, obviously.

As it is I take the corners in the 507 at 110-140 Km (slow for a sports bike), and as I say, I don't scrape my pegs so I have room for improvement, but outside the corners 2 and change no problem. Lots of sports bikes are slow compared to my bike and every cruiser you can name, except the VMAX and maybe the Vrod, but their engines are twice the size.

And if you were going to pit a Magaa againts an CBR1000RR, you might want to pit the V65 against it, after all that was an 1100 CC Magna, and would be only fair to pit a liter Magna against a liter Sports bike. After all that was the fastest production motorcycle ever, in 1984. Agreed the 2010 CBR1000RRA would beat it in a straight line, but you know its wouldn't be an impressive win. Its in the numbers, the gap is not what you infer, not anywhere close.

You know when you take all the top 600 cc bikes from all the manufacturers, and you rate their specs, only 2 seconds separates the fastest from the slowest, and change the driver and the bikes position in the rankings shifts. A 750 cc 3rd generation Mangna 1994-2003 ranks in the middle of the pack. The bike has balls. The bike has power to weight ratio that is great. Sure the the BMW S1000RR has just over twice the horse power, but its no where near twice as fast, its not any lighter.

I love blowing away a sportsbike, because it blows away the rider of the sports bike way more, and they can't believe they just got smoked by a Cruiser. But I am a bit jealous of how l;ow they can go in the corners.
    Red '94 Honda VF750C Magna
    Black '02 Suzuki LS650 Savage - Sold

Cruisers are limited by ground clearance. If you really push and hang off you can get some serious corner speeds. Speeds that can defiantly get you into trouble with the fuzz. Just look how Yellow Wolf can ride that Wing through the Gap or the guy that rides the cruiser at Cayuga. You seem like a new rider so the best advice has already been offered ride at your pace be smooth and speed will come.

Oh yeah, your bike has about 75 hp and is about 500 pounds you may be able to keep close to a 600 SS of the line due to you power curve. Once the bikes are moving you don't stand a chance. Maybe the guys you ride with are being nice to you and you cruiser?
    Bikes R what unite us, what kind should not matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer264 View Post
    Was out there the other day with lil red bird. Bit of gravel on some of the corners out there, so be careful.
    I was out there with Starship on Tuesday.....the 507 is over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by ace6061 View Post

Oh yeah, your bike has about 75 hp and is about 500 pounds you may be able to keep close to a 600 SS of the line due to you power curve. Once the bikes are moving you don't stand a chance. Maybe the guys you ride with are being nice to you and you cruiser?
    Its just not off the line. My bike is just under 2 seconds slower than the fastest production 600 cc Sports bike on the quarter mile, and its actually faster than the slowest 600 cc sportsbikes.

And actually my Magna, un-modified is 87 HP, not 75 hp, and that's smooth V4 HP, so we can squeeze a few more HP with simple mods and have just as much HP as the Gixxer Sixxer.

And I know it's the driver that makes the largest difference, for instance there is a guy that I can pass on a Gixxer, yet anotehr guy on a Gixxer I can't even get close. But I have researched top speeds for 0-60 mph and 1/4, the best speeds by the best riders, and when the best riders take out my bike its in the middle of the 600cc sportsbike pack. So in my mind all is equal the Honda Magna kicks serious ***....and its actually a cruiser.

That I am not questioning at all. There is too much data. The bike is fast, real fast. But my question was just related to cornering. I was just trying to find a top end for cruisers. And form what I have heard so far, I am already taking the corners at the top end for cruisers....further my pegs are not scraping. So I still don't know the top end for a cruiser. I picked the 507 just because a lot of people have run through there, and its a common denominator for comparison purposes.

Maybe the questions should be - Honda Magna 750 owners, how fast do you take the curves of the 507...because clearly the Magna is in a class all of its own, cruiser body, sport bike spirit. Oh, I know, we can call it a "Power Cruiser". Okay power cruisers, how fast do you take the curves of the 507? And rememebr that doesn't mean cruisers with big power plants, it means cruisers with sick power to weight ratios!
    Red '94 Honda VF750C Magna
    Black '02 Suzuki LS650 Savage - Sold

We should race. I'd like to see the magna in action.

D
    2005 ZX6R-current-fast

wow now it all makes sense I knew rossi raced a V65 for a reason, thanks for enlightening me.