How fast do you take the curves on the 507?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast do you take the curves on the 507?

How fast do you take the curves on the 507?

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I am curious to know how fast cruisers can take the curves of the 507.
    I know if you are not scrapping your pegs, you can get lower, and if you can get lower you can get faster.

I am using the 507, because it has straights where you can top speed, and curves. Now I know nobody ever exceeds the speed limit, so this is all hypothetical, so it could not be used against you in a traffic court. But for
    discussion and educational purposes lets not exaggerate.

Now the speed limit for the 507 is 80Kph, and has speeds reduced to 60 kph and 40 kph on many of the turns.

The reason I ask is I usually ride my lowly cruiser with supersports bikes. And people complained I was hogging the road. I know I can't take corners at superbike speeds. In fact I read a review on my cruiser that said, don't try and follow sports bikes through the corners, because you can wind up seriously injured or dead.

I just want to know if I am slow in the corners for a cruiser, or just slow for a sports bike. If I was scraping my pegs all the way through that would likely be the safe limit. That requires a skill level I have not attained yet. But there are people here that have been riding for an awfully long time, who could, and they would know.

Okay, you can see in my signature what I am riding, so you should know I can beat a lot of sports bikes in a 1/4 and 0-60. I just want to get an idea of how fast other cruisers take the curves of the 507 when there is just the speed limit of 80 km posted, when its 60km posted at a curve, and when it is 40 km posted at a curve. On average what speed would you enter a curve when it was posted at:

1) 40 Kph
    2) 60 Kph
    3) Not posted on the curve, so the 80 Kph for the highway would apply.
    4) The fastest you would take a curve on the 507 regardless

Remember, this is just theroretical, but realistic answers would be so much appreciated. Its just depending on the results, I may have to give up the cruiser and get me a sports bike
    Red '94 Honda VF750C Magna
    Black '02 Suzuki LS650 Savage - Sold

Re: How fast do you take the curves on the 507?

I do exactly the speed limit posted... officer.

You are not going to beat many sport bikes 0-60 or quarter mile ...

On a good sport bike with halfway decent suspension setup and tires, there is not a single corner on the 507 that requires even moderate cornering effort at the posted speed limit of 80 km/h, nevermind what the yellow signs say. This is why I don't go on that road any more. It's not even moderately entertaining at the posted speed limit or anything close to it, is only marginally entertaining at seize-your-vehicle-and-license speeds, and is not worth the long round trip there and back.

Hypothetically speaking? I don't think there are any corners on that road that require slowing below 120 km/h with a decent rider on a decent sport bike, and there are quite a few that could be taken near 180 km/h if the rider knows what they are doing. A Honda CBR125R could hypothetically take that entire road at tucked-in wide open throttle the whole way.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Those speeds are only estimates based on cornering radius and the probable amount of available grip and may (MAY) not have been actually verified with a speedometer that wasn't wrong by some unknown factor.

I don't ride there any more. I prefer much tighter, gnarlier stuff.

edit: there are quite a few videos out there on youtube in which people weren't smart enough to keep the speedometer out of the camera's field of view.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    I don't ride there any more. I prefer much tighter, gnarlier stuff.
    There's a nice spot...

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=35...,0.012081&z=16
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Haha, I know of that one. Trouble there is that you'll be stuck behind motor homes and camper vans, and smelling overheated brakes all the way up the mountain, and all the way down.

But on that subject, there are plenty of other roads in that area on which you won't smell brakes, or get trapped behind Harleys, or in some cases, even see another vehicle ...

Hypothetically, there aren't any turns on 507 that even the rider of my lowly V-Strom can't comfortably take at 120 to 130 kph.

I ride on 507 fairly often as it is a nicer way to go to my mom's than some of the other routes, but it really isn't a very exciting road unless you travel at speeds that will get your license and vehicle taken away.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

260 start to end!
    Look, lean, believe!

Toastman's Magna would likely do just fine. Depends on the set-up of the bike and rider skill/knowledge of the road.

Generally a cruiser's intended purpose is to cruise so you can enjoy the scenery. And let the wind through through your hair (or what's left of it)

I ride with a pal with a SS. He stops for a smoke while I play catch up. It works for us. It's just easier to let them ride ahead and stay out of the way and let them have their hypothetical fun.

[QUOTE=Brian P;1294199]You are not going to beat many sport bikes 0-60 or quarter mile ...

Thanks, but I know what sports bikes can do, about 300Kph in the straight aways and about 260Kph in the corners, the question was what can cruisers do. Basically to put another way is how much is technology, if the same rider was riding both types of bike.

As for being able to beat Sports bikes in straight line, how many can do it in 11.07 Seconds? A GSX-R 600 can do it in 10 seconds, and you find me a 600 cc production bike quicker than the Gixxer? A Ninja 650 cc does the 1/4 mile in 12.02, a ZX-6R 11.13, CRB600RR 10.48. Okay, oaky, you can find better and worse times for each bike, but the Magna has no problems keeping up with 600 class sports bikes. Its the corners where they are killing me.

The problem I had is they can't catch me coming out of the corners, and certainly can't pass me in the straight aways...they could pass me in the corners, but wouldn't take the chance.

Of course I was exceeding the posted speeds, theoretically, but the only time my license was theoretically in danger of being taken away was in the straight sections, not the turns.

OKay, so one Cruiser rider has stated 120-130Kph no problem.. and the Liter sports bike scan do 260 from start to end, which also sounds about right for the Liter Bike.

Anyways thats everyone for your comments!

Maybe I'm seeing this or understand this the wrong way, but who cares? There's no "Set speed", do the needful, as long as your comfortable at any speed. For me, when I remember going through there, doing the corners at 80km was enough, and I had fun, atleast that time around.
    "It's water over the bridge" ? What smoke are you cracking?!

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    yea, been there, took that road to Deals Gap and back...traffic wasnt too bad, just dont go on the weekend...
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

As fast as I'm comfortable! How's that for the all purpose answer....
    I don't know you, but it's not always the bike, maybe you need more saddle time working on where to find your groove. I ride with sportbikes quite often and will only slow down if something don't feel right... a maturity thing that I don't have to prove anything to anyone! Those who've ridden with me usually say "he goes like snot"!
    One more thing, a v-twin and an inline engine make power very differently! A twin makes it at the lower end and thus we can rocket from a dead start pretty quickly, where as an inline makes it power in the higher range and explains why they blow past us like were standing still down the road
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

142.67kmph at a 68.43degree lean angle
    My Rides:
    2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
    Looking for a 125 or 250

Well my cruiser has a V-4, a slightly modified VFR Engine, so there really are no bikes can blow by me like I am standing still...unless I am standing still. I am more interested in the corners.

Now if someone with a 2009/2010 VMAX comes out and says, I take those corners at 300 kph, then I know its the rider, not the geometry of the bike, because that beast not only can ride with Supersports bikes, but it can leave them in the dust...in a straight line.

So how low can you go (assuming you have the tires) dictates how fast you can go and stay on line in a curve. If a guy in a cruiser leans as low as a guy in a sports bike, where the guy in the sports bike is sparking from his metal knee plate, I think you'd have scaped off not only your pegs, but your feet too. So there will be a speed where the geometry will just slow the cruiser down.

And people are making good suggestions, like the pace you are comfortable with is sound advice. But I am trying to gauge my own skills to those with much more developed skills, and see what the speed difference is....and some good answers there, but mostly from Sportsbike riders....and saying things like the 507 is not that twisty...and its not that twisty....and I think that is why people tend to go faster, because speed will make it more twisty.

So far I have 120-130Kph for a cruiser and 260Kph for a Sportsbike, which is a huge difference. And the 120-130 is by a guy that knows the road and has ridden it often, so based on knowing the curves you can go a lot faster, when you have no clue as to what is around the bend. So is that a consensus then 120-130kph for a Cruiser ???

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiCruiser View Post
    260Kph for a Sportsbike
    Hah, I think that was a joke. No human can take any of the 507 corners at that speed.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

what/where is the 507???
    My Rides:
    2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
    Looking for a 125 or 250

I'm certain this would be a re-post a few times around here but, does seem relevant to this tread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

On a serious note. Most cruiser's steering and suspension geo limit their manuverability. You can adjust them to help but, it could be at the expense of something else like the bikes overall ridability. A bike's given lean angle is only one factor of several.

Some cruisers such as the Magna can corner very well, but, not having the environment to find those limits or the pocket book to fix what breaks when you go beyond those limits is another thing. And it takes time and experience to feel those limits out.

I'm sure you could find a good experience rider on a Magna or similar machine that could out boogie another rider on SS. It just wouldn't be something typical.
    Last edited by nakkers; 06-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Hah, I think that was a joke. No human can take any of the 507 corners at that speed.
    I think that was a joke as well but I am sure that the 507 can be done well in excess of 200k on an sport touring bike (RF900) its a fast pace but do able. (I personally would never try anything of that sort.) If the road were closed and a track 260 doesn't seem out of the question.

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar
    I have heard of a valkrie doing it at 120 end to end with no problems have no idea who it was though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.