Kids ride 2-up - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids ride 2-up

Re: Kids ride 2-up

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Ask him if he's ok selling 600 and 1000 ss bikes to young males, or selling icon gear or selling sidi boots. Bikes are dangerous period, he should sell the business and buy a Volvo dealership.

As your kids parent you decide what you think is a risk to your child not some random dudes opinion from a bike shop.

As far as belts go, another option is Royal sell an affordable belt for $15.

wheres this royal place can u gie me the adress.. 15 is not much i'll get it an try it but i would not wanna spend 200 and then say damn its crap

so just came in from a ride with my son very 1-st time for him on the road... he did very well he held on me all the time didnt move at all bottom like i am happy it went very well we ended up goin to kennedy commons and back ....soo set up a date we will be ready for a group ride..

Quote Originally Posted by dardania View Post
    wheres this royal place can u gie me the adress.. 15 is not much i'll get it an try it but i would not wanna spend 200 and then say damn its crap
    Look here for the info.on Royal Distributing. Cheers.
    http://www.royaldistributing.com/mai...d=46&Itemid=61
    "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every
    man's greed." ~~ Mohandas Ghandi
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

'09 Concours 14 The Ultimate Transcontinental Cruise Missile

You may want to call GP bikes as well and see if they have any pillion belts. They may be closer to you as they are in Ajax.

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

I bought a riding belt on Kijijji for $75.00 it has a strap that goes around you and then a strap for the kid plus should straps that go over top of them. It buckles on the back of them so they can't get the straps undone. There is also a handle for them to hold onto. It gives you a lot more confidence that they are not going anywhere without you going too. I have a 7 and 5 year old and they both love going on the back of the bike for rides. With this on I can ride without the fear of them falling off.

I'm in with my 9 yr old boy. He's been out with me many time but he does get tired on longer rides. I used to bungee cord him the previous yrs but he seems to be holding on fine this yr.

He prefers to ride on the standard bike over the SS so we will most likely be on the standard bike. We both have the Interphone bluetooth communicator so he can tell me if he needs a break.

Looking forward to this event!

This was published in Cycle World..
    Updated Motorcycling with kids can be done safely, if you understand the risks and take the proper precautions.

Taking a child for a motorcycle ride can be a scary proposition, but if you have children, the question will arise, probably sooner than you think. You may also be confronted with it from children in your extended family or neighbors. Unfortunately, too many people don't think it through before the child climbs on the bike.

Here's a typical disaster in the making, one that I've seen far too frequently. A motorcyclist rides down the street with a kid sitting in front of him, a helmet four sizes too large bouncing around on the child's head, its little hands trying to hold onto the gas tank or the rider's legs. The kid interferes with the rider's control of the bike, the first strike against them.
    What's going to happen if the rider must stop quickly? Will he grab the child with one arm, and thereby probably lose control of the bike if he really has to panic stop, or will he keep control of the bike and watch the kid fly off the front of the bike? Neither option bodes well for the child. And when he goes flying, that oversize helmet will probably come off his head. That loss of an oversize helmets happens—to adults as well as children—much more often than most motorcyclists realize, but kids wearing helmetas that are way too large are most like to be the victims.
    My kids, now 12 and 14, began agitating for rides around age three or four. I said that they couldn't ride until they could reach the footpegs, which was possible on some bikes when they were five or six. In the meantime, my wife and I discussed the issue to be sure she was completely comfortable with it. I have friends whose spouses have forbidden their kids to get on a bike. Although my wife doesn't ride herself (except as a passenger), she was confident about the kids riding with me.
    I also researched the matter. I went through our many apparel catalogs looking for helmets and apparel for kids. I talked to helmet makers and looked at kid-size helmets. Most illuminating, I talked to the motorcycle-accident researchers at the Head Protection Research Laboratory, the same folks who conducted the famous Hurt Report about motorcycle-accident causes and countermeasures.
    Kids' Helmets
    When my older child, my son, finally was old enough to sit on some bikes with his feet on the passenger pegs, I began collecting gear. Much of the motorcycle apparel made for kids is aimed at the off-road side of the market. Most of the XXXS helmets on the market are off-road lids, not all of which are D.O.T.-certified. I wanted a full-coverage helmet with a chinbar with real expanded polystyrene (EPS, the hard foam) in the chinbar as well as the rest of the shell. Most importantly, it had to fit snugly, to be sure it would stay put during the violence of a crash. Shoei's VT-J fulfilled those requirements. Even though it was for the off-road market, it provided extensive EPS coverage. Since it had no faceshield, I had to buy some goggles.
    A couple of years later, he graduated to an XXS Shoei RF200 street helmet, which included a faceshield. We are now up to a medium, and his sister has inherited his last helmet at each step. At $200 or so apiece, this out-growing helmets isn't cheap, but don't scrimp here. My research turned up far too many instances of children wearing adult-sized helmets, which simply came off during a crash. Read this jsonline.com report for an example of what can happen. And make sure the helmet is fastened snugly. Kids will typically complain at first, but don't let them fasten the chin strap loosely. I'd also have trouble giving a child anything less than a full-face helmet with a chinbar, since facial scars could be almost as devastating as a head injury and facial impacts can kill you too.
    Leather Jackets for Kids?
    I thought we might get away with well-made denim or other tough generic jacket, but Harley's Kid's Leather Jacket (about $160, see the Kids section of Harley's Motorclothes site) was too cool to pass up. Since my son was scrawny and the jacket started out a bit large, it actually lasted almost five years before my daughter inherited it full-time and, after watching a video of Grease what seems like a few hundred times, turned it into a fashion statement as much as riding apparel. It is a real riding jacket though, with thick leather, heavy-duty stitching and zippers, and zipped cuffs. It makes them comfortable while riding and would provide significant protection if we ever fell.
    Since this article was originally printed, a new web-based company Family Motorcycling.com has sprung up to serve this motorcycle-apparel market segment, with textile and armored jackets and pants and gloves made for kids five and up. There is also a similar site in the UK, www.babybiker.com, with even more riding gear for kids.
    My son now wears my wife's old jackets. In a few years, he'll be wearing mine. But I would have felt comfortable with him wearing a tough jacket made of something else, such as denim, too. If you have to choose wear to spend your money, a good D.O.T. helmet and real motorcycle gloves should top your priorities. The difference between no jacket and solid denim jacket is bigger than the difference between denim and leather in my experience.

The rest of the article:
    Other Apparel
    The other item that I am emphatic about using is good gloves. Hands are an essential part of our daily lives and deserve good protection. A number of companies make child-size gloves for off-road use, and I have also found a few all-leather street gloves (which I prefer) in XXS sizes. Several companies, including Olympia and Tour Master make XS-size gloves in good, solid, comfortable styles, and Family Motorcycling.com and www.babybiker.com both carry kid-specific gloves. Get some that have a good retention system -- that is, that strap on tightly. Even if the gloves are a bit large, this will keep them from coming off in the violence of a crash. Some of the off-road gloves are made well with abrasion-resistant material, but you may also find small road gloves, which tend to have better abrasion-resistant coverage.
    Some heavy, long pants should be worn (again, see Family Motorcycling.com and www.babybiker.com for actual motorcycle pants made for kids) and we just used heavy weight jeans. Some well made shoes, preferably a pair that rises above the ankle, are a good idea. We used cowboy boots for a while, but I wasn't convinced that they'd stay on in a crash. The shoes should fit well, so they won't come off under pressure. Be mindful of shoelaces too. A shoelace that gets caught in a chain can cause a disaster.
    Retention
    Once a child has proper gear, you confront a bigger issue. How is the child going to ride? Putting a child in front of you is stupid, for the reasons already discussed. So he or she will sit behind you. That raises the issue of control. A child, especially a small one, can simply fall off. Even an older kid can fall asleep on a longer ride. Mine do, all the time. Any child can be flicked off in a brake-skid-stick situation or just a quick avoidance maneuver. Holding onto the rider can be difficult for small hands and short arms. My research uncovered an alarming number of instances when a child fell or was ejected from a motorcycle that didn't crash, often with horrifying results.
    The aftermarket has a number of solutions. The simplest is one of the several types of belts for the rider with handholds for the passenger, like the Buddy Belt ($50) from G&G or the Pillion Pal from Family Motorcycling.com. You may be able to offer a passenger similar security by attaching handhold loops to your regular pants or jacket belt. However, kids have trouble remembering to hold on all the time, so I rarely used this solution until they were 10 or older.
    My preferred system for carrying a young kids is the Child's Riding Belt (formerly the CRV Belt) ($129) from Child's Riding Belt Company, and imported by several retailers for the U.S. market. The CRV is a harness that goes around the child's waist, over the shoulders and between the legs so she can't wriggle or pull out. The quick-release buckles are all on the back so she can't release them, but getting in (before the helmet is donned) is quick. The child's harness fastens to a foam-rubber pad with handlebar-type grips. A large belt, attached to the front of the pad, goes around the rider's waist to secure the child to you. The child cannot fall off unless you do. My kids routinely fall asleep back there, and we have even ridden off-road, jumping and bouncing around, with no fear of them getting thrown off. Of course, if you did crash, the child would be attached to you, which might cause additional injury if they ended up between you and whatever you bounced against. On the other hand, you can also jump up to leap out of harm's way, and the child, since it is attached, will come with you, without the need for an explanation.
    Though my daughter, who is younger and braver, sometimes suggested riding without the CRV Belt, both kids felt secure in it, and it has proven comfortable on a wide variety of bikes. On short rides, such as the few blocks to school, we used just a belt with handholds after about age 9. But until they were in their teens, they requested the CRV for anything more than a few minutes.
    I tried talking to my kids early on about the potential dangers of riding, but they didn't get much of it. I do it every day, so how could it be that bad? To them it's pure fun, even riding in the rain (though they don't have rainsuits). With repetition, they did learn what they needed to be conscious of—hot exhaust pipes, not mounting from the right, keeping their feet out of the wheel, faceshield over their eyes, keeping their feet on the pegs. We have a simple system of communications, and we may actually get one of the communicator systems.
    Trying It Out
    Of course, they had a gentle introduction and haven't had any bad experiences. They both had their first rides on a deserted, dead-end rural road with little traffic. Next it was rides to school, where every kid on the yard came out to watch their arrivals and departures. One mother, watching us arrive on a big Vulcan, even commented, "My kids want you to be their dad." Progressively longer rides led to weekend outings with my son, which he loved. We made a motorcycle camping trip to a spot back in the mountains where a car has a hard time reaching. My daughter has begun agitating for her and I to ride to Alaska.
    A few people have told me that they think motorcycling is too dangerous an activity to involve kids. My response is simply that since I believe, after taking a long sober look at the risks and preparing myself for them, that it's safe enough for their parent to do, it's safe enough for kids as well, assuming I consider their needs. And I'll sometimes add that if people would stop talking on their cell phones in traffic and engage their brains, it would be safer for everyone.

my kid (David) and i took first ride. all went well. some folks in a van we're signaling at me, but i couldn't see anything wrong. i think some folks, who aren't familiar with riding (AT ALL) don't see that it is a calculate risk and not just a foolhardy activity.

i don't believe it has to be dangerous if you take things slow and make sure your child is also of the right mindset.

cheers!
    Last edited by adamwest; 06-20-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    Street: 1994 Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade, black/charcoal
    Track: 2004 GSX-R 600 red/white/purple #27

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Throwing about the idea of a Dad/Mom/son/daughter/neice/nephew/aunt/uncle/kids ride, will see if this thread gets any traction.

First things first, if you're interested please post up and list your kids age,type of bike you ride and exp with 2-upping. This will give me some sort of idea on how long and how far of a ride we can do.

Starting and stopping point is open to discussion as well.

I was thinking maybe a North starting point possibly Vaughan or Newmarket then a ride through Caledon and Orangeville, perhaps the finish point could be a Dave and Busters type of place for the kids. Another option would be a East end start then take hwy 2 out to Cobourg beach for some sun and tan.

I was thinking of doing it July, most of my weekends are free that month with the exception of 10th-11th (superbikes/at Mosport that weekend).

Jay
    vaughan to organville to cobourg? that's a pretty stretch for young 2ups eh? how long with how many stops?

i think trick to preventing the sleeping young 2up is frequent stops.

cheers!

Next week i'll post up a ride route and date, going to keep it simple and not too long.

Maybe a nice little ride up and around the lake Keswick/Jacksons Point/Sutton area. Less traffic and lower speeds. There is a little ice cream shop we can use as a finishing point before heading back to the City.

i'm down for the ride 1- i will not go on highway not till next season anyway second commin from scarborough my child will be tired already by the time i get to the meetin spot..... so i'm thinking for this season i'll hook up with someone around scarborough area some saturday or sunday early morning goin to the beach,, brimely would be nice since theres not much tafic in the morning weekeds....so anyone up for this i will have tons of free time in these coming 2 weeks

i'm down for the ride 1- i will not go on highway not till next season anyway second commin from scarborough my child will be tired already by the time i get to the meetin spot..... so i'm thinking for this season i'll hook up with someone around scarborough area some saturday or sunday early morning goin to the beach,, brimely would be nice since theres not much tafic in the morning weekeds....so anyone up for this i will have tons of free time in these coming 2 weeks
    my son David is 6. he likes to ride, and we're at 401 & bayview.

Quote Originally Posted by adamwest View Post
    my son David is 6. he likes to ride, and we're at 401 & bayview.
    mine is the same age ... i got thursday friday sat and sunday off anyone open for anythin i'm down for it..

so is this meet goin to happen at all or...?? lets do something on this nice weather

Sorry my bad

Going route exploring this weekend, will post up something soon.

Too hot this weekend, plus the superbikes are at Mosport.

I did a route around the lake jacksons point on Sunday but in hindsight it was getting a little too much for my boy. I have a few more routes though we could do.

How does the 17th sound...weather dependent of course. We can try and make a centralized meeting point which is easiest for everyone.

i'm up for it any weekend..

17th would work. I usually work till 3pm but could get off early or take the whole day off. On the 18th i'm leading a 507 run so can't do then.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    On the 18th i'm leading a 507 run so can't do then.

Wow..!!! that's interesting... i hope to make it...