tandem wheelie fail

Thread: tandem wheelie fail

tandem wheelie fail

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=058_1275214327
    If you're going to make an @ss of yourself, do it in the back of a parking lot or something.
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a 'true' friend will be sitting next to you saying...'damn that was fun'

Re: tandem wheelie fail

Ouch!!
    '08 Ducati Hypermotard
    '86 Yamaha BW200

There are other vids on that site that show some wheelie landings gone wrong. And the most common seem to be at speed, and on the landing which turns into a tank slapper. There is one that looks like moments later a transport likely has nowhere to go but right over his bike.

Just how much off centre does the front wheel have to be before it goes this bad or is there very little room for error? I'm wondering if a combination of tire pressures and worn steering head bearings come into play too. I have had tank slapper wannabees. There is that crucial time when the front tire is just barely touching and it's sensitive whether going up or down. Obviously steering dampers help with very steep geometry.

Does anyone remember the one in Mississauga I think, and it was an RC51. It was cold in Mar and they think he hit a pothole or road imperfection. He was doing over 180 and it became such a violent tankslapper that he completely and immediately lost it and went right into oncoming traffic. I think both he and the driver he hit were killed instantly. But if i recall you can see the bars on the video and when he landed I don't remember him being out of alignment at all. It just went super violent right away.
    Last edited by nesobriquet; 05-30-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f1mauro View Post
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=058_1275214327
    If you're going to make an @ss of yourself, do it in the back of a parking lot or something.
    I don't think he meant to make an *** of himself. Im pretty sure that this isn't the first time they tried that, and if they can do it, why not do it in a stunt show?

That is what you call a "kill switch mouse trap"......When doing tandem its very easy for the passenger or even the rider to accidentally hit the kill switch in a wheelie.

Simply setting up your bike properly can eliminate this from happening...This is what they should have done to the bike...I always clip my kill switch when doing tandem. This is especially important when doing faster tricks where hitting the kill switch causes very sudden and violent mouse trapping that cant be saved...

For under $5 a little clip and some safety wire can save you alot of pain...

Quote Originally Posted by nesobriquet View Post
    There are other vids on that site that show some wheelie landings gone wrong. And the most common seem to be at speed, and on the landing which turns into a tank slapper. There is one that looks like moments later a transport likely has nowhere to go but right over his bike.

Just how much off centre does the front wheel have to be before it goes this bad or is there very little room for error? I'm wondering if a combination of tire pressures and worn steering head bearings come into play too. I have had tank slapper wannabees. There is that crucial time when the front tire is just barely touching and it's sensitive whether going up or down. Obviously steering dampers help with very steep geometry.

Does anyone remember the one in Mississauga I think, and it was an RC51. It was cold in Mar and they think he hit a pothole or road imperfection. He was doing over 180 and it became such a violent tankslapper that he completely and immediately lost it and went right into oncoming traffic. I think both he and the driver he hit were killed instantly. But if i recall you can see the bars on the video and when he landed I don't remember him being out of alignment at all. It just went super violent right away.
    This crash was caused by either the rider or the passenger accidentally hitting the kill switch in the wheelie. Stunt bikes have big sprockets usually, which makes them come up easier but also gives them much more engine brake so they also come down much faster when you let off the throttle. You can hear the motor stall out just before the wheel slams down (heavy engine brake)..

i just love the people behind the barrier who just stand there...doing nothing...no one flinches...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    This crash was caused by either the rider or the passenger accidentally hitting the kill switch in the wheelie. Stunt bikes have big sprockets usually, which makes them come up easier but also gives them much more engine brake so they also come down much faster when you let off the throttle. You can hear the motor stall out just before the wheel slams down (heavy engine brake)..
    I knew that on that video, wondered if that might have been the cause, I even wondered if a chain had broken and got bunched.

But my question was regarding some other vids that I went to see after clicking on that one. There were a few that all had tank slap crashes after coming down.
    Sorry for the confusion I should have linked to one of the other specific crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by nesobriquet View Post
    I knew that on that video, wondered if that might have been the cause, I even wondered if a chain had broken and got bunched.

But my question was regarding some other vids that I went to see after clicking on that one. There were a few that all had tank slap crashes after coming down.
    Sorry for the confusion I should have linked to one of the other specific crashes.
    Yeah it doesnt take much front wheel crookedness, to send a bike into a slapper when coming down from a wheelie...Its common, but in 6+ years of trying wheelies, Ive never had it happen to me. How fast it comes down plays a big factor, you should always try to throttle out of wheelies instead of just closing the throttle and mouse trapping...