Insurance Rate Poll from "Sport Rider" mag - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Rate Poll from "Sport Rider" mag

Re: Insurance Rate Poll from "Sport Rider" mag

Quote Originally Posted by Krauser View Post
    LOL! That's a good one, made me laugh. Schooling was extremely expensive, 90% had to come out of my own pocket -- since my grades were pretty good and above average, maybe if the government threw me a couple extra grants or bursaries I could spend that on Ontarios overpriced and unnecessary insurance. All of my grants and bursaries came from private companies, not the tax payer, all the Chinese and Indians are getting that luxury -- do you think they're going to stay? Doubtful. Our education support programs were basically designed for them and not home brewed Canadians.

I've talked to many of them, the government pays half or more of their tuition because they're an international student, even if their grades are lower than mine, good job Canada... Lets educate other countries and **** our own.
    If you think you paid the cost of your schooling with tuition you are sadly mistaken, most of the cost are paid by the taxpayer with tuition only covering a small amount of the total costs.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    No . . . insurance is expensive in Canada because you are buying the Mercedes S-Class of insurance products -- in most states you're buying a Kia.
    S-Class as in S**tty Class? (no offense to you VifferFun)

Acording to my broker prices have gone up and they are working on reducing payout and the amounts ($$) they will be paying out.

Dealer I got my bike from says he can't sell R1's anymore because people can't afford insurance on them.

I have a clean record and my rate went up 15% this year.

LOL! That's a good one, made me laugh. Schooling was extremely expensive, 90% had to come out of my own pocket -- since my grades were pretty good and above average, maybe if the government threw me a couple extra grants or bursaries I could spend that on Ontarios overpriced and unnecessary insurance. All of my grants and bursaries came from private companies, not the tax payer, all the Chinese and Indians are getting that luxury -- do you think they're going to stay? Doubtful. Our education support programs were basically designed for them and not home brewed Canadians.

I've talked to many of them, the government pays half or more of their tuition because they're an international student, even if their grades are lower than mine, good job Canada... Lets educate other countries and **** our own.
    Of course your tuition should come from your own pocket . . . but would you rather pay 90% of $7000/yr, or $25000/yr? Tuition in Canada is not expensive, because it is heavily subsidized by tax dollars. It sounds like you want the Govenment to pay for your education in its entirety.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Back on topic after reading Viffer's posts it seem like we get what we pay for here in terms of insurance. High rates suck but it would be worse to get taken out by some ****** with $10000.00 worth of coverage and find out that you are now stuck for your own bills rehab etc. because he has nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Uh-huh View Post
    S-Class as in S**tty Class? (no offense to you VifferFun)

Acording to my broker prices have gone up and they are working on reducing payout and the amounts ($$) they will be paying out.

Dealer I got my bike from says he can't sell R1's anymore because people can't afford insurance on them.

I have a clean record and my rate went up 15% this year.
    Mercedes S-Class:

Hyundai Genesis:

To the non-car enthusiast, the two cars look very similar . . . but to anyone who knows what they're talking about, they are very different. The Hyundai may be a sufficient car, but we aren't allowed to sell the "Hyundai Genesis" insurance product in Ontario.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Back on topic after reading Viffer's posts it seem like we get what we pay for here in terms of insurance. High rates suck but it would be worse to get taken out by some ****** with $10000.00 worth of coverage and find out that you are now stuck for your own bills rehab etc. because he has nothing else.
    Our coverage in Ontario is excellent . . . in fact, in my opinion it is TOO excellent. The insurance product allows too many people to make large claims where they shouldn't . . . these idiots are the ones driving up the premiums for everyone, especially in the GTA. These claims aren't necessarily fraudulant, but exaggerated by crafty personal injury lawyers.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 06-01-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Speaking if which, I thought McGuinty's government said last year sometime that we would soon be able to choose less coverage and therefore lower our rates... any idea when this option is going to become available?

Krauser

Of course your tuition should come from your own pocket . . . but would you rather pay 90% of $7000/yr, or $25000/yr? Tuition in Canada is not expensive, because it is heavily subsidized by tax dollars. It sounds like you want the Govenment to pay for your education in its entirety.
    Ha, more like $7, 000 per semester -- maybe $7, 000 a year for your clown college? Please, who wouldn't want the government to pay for their education? It's isn't practical or realistic but ask anyone and they'll defiantly take free education unless they have a couple of screws loose. If Tuition was actually $25000 / year, I'm sure most people would flee to Europe, the serious ones anyways and get it for free.

Now, back on topic please.

Does anyone know how rates in BC compare to ours where it is run by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia a provincial Crown corporation?

They are actually trying to reduce their rates by 1,9% this year.

They have applied to the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC) to reduce basic insurance rates this year.

Krauser

Quote Originally Posted by Uh-huh View Post
    Does anyone know how rates in BC compare to ours where it is run by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia a provincial Crown corporation?

They are actually trying to reduce their rates by 1,9% this year.

They have applied to the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC) to reduce basic insurance rates this year.
    When I lived there for a few months, I could get an 2007 R6 for $1600. I can't remember if it was full or just basic with theft. At the time I was 21, with a clean record.

You didn't ask but it's also pretty good in Alberta too, $1400 / year for basic coverage on the same bike.

Ha, more like $7, 000 per semester -- maybe $7, 000 a year for your clown college?
    I went to the University of Waterloo for Math, hardly what you would consider a "Clown College". I believe tuition at the time was about $3700 a school term, and there are two school terms and one Co-op term (to further learn and help pay tuition) in a year.

Please, who wouldn't want the government to pay for their education? It's isn't practical or realistic but ask anyone and they'll defiantly take free education unless they have a couple of screws loose.
    I guess I have a couple of screws loose, because I DON'T want free education. Education is cheap enough in Canada that anyone who seriously wants to go, can go. There are Government assistance programs for those who cannot afford the relatively little premium we have to pay. What I don't want is a bunch of idiots who aren't serious about learned crowding the schools and using up tax dollars simply because it's 100% free. Since nothing is free in this world, it would be tax-paying people such as myself paying for these freeloaders to attend school. Consider our tuition as the coinsurance that helps weed out the people who don't belong.

If Tuition was actually $25000 / year, I'm sure most people would flee to Europe, the serious ones anyways and get it for free.
    Actually, he people ho are serious about their education ould care more about the quality than the cost.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 06-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.

I don't want to talk about school anymore, i want to enjoy my summer break by riding. Oh wait, i cant because insurance too expensive... damn... lol

Krauser

I went to the University of Waterloo for Math, hardly what you would consider a "Clown College". I believe tuition at the time was about $3700 a school term, and there are two school terms and one Co-op term (to further learn and help pay tuition) in a year.
    Wow that's cheap, I'm taking Process Automation (Bachelors of Technology) at McMaster and my tuition after all the "discounts" is $6700 / semester $13400 / year and the price is going up a few percent every year.

I guess I have a couple of screws loose, because I DON'T want free education. Education is cheap enough in Canada that anyone who seriously wants to go, can go. There are Government assistance programs for those who cannot afford the relatively little premium we have to pay. What I don't want is a bunch of idiots who aren't serious about learned crowding the schools and using up tax dollars simply because it's 100% free. Since nothing is free in this world, it would be tax-paying people such as myself paying for these freeloaders to attend school. Consider our tuition as the coinsurance that helps weed out the people who don't belong.
    Education is cheap enough if you take Micky Mouse courses... Like "Math". Assistance, you mean OSAP? Paying interest on tax payer money is fun. While education is free for many European countries, there are RESTRICTIONS. Not everyone is able to attend, you need high averages and dedication. So Joe Schmo "Idiot" as you say, slacks off in High School will not be able to attend College/University even though it's free. In Poland, College/University is FREE to everyone that passes High School. Here's a catch, the passing grade is not 50, 60 it's MUCH higher and if you fail a single course, you have to repeat the entire grade. Seems like a solid system if you ask me. Of course... The people that have already finished school when it was easy and cheap would be against this system, bunch of pompous pricks.

Actually, he people ho are serious about their education ould care more about the quality than the cost.
    Education in many European countries is top notch, education here, not so much.

Krauser

But do you think we can get back to how AWESOME and AFFORDABLE insurance is in Canada?

Education is cheap enough if you take Micky Mouse courses... Like "Math".
    Spouting off uneducated remarks about programs you clearly know nothing about does not represent you or your school very well. Do some reasearch on the Actuarial Science program at Waterloo and see if it is "Mickey Mouse" as you claim.

Assistance, you mean OSAP? Paying interest on tax payer money is fun.
    Yes, I was referring to OSAP in Ontario.

While education is free for many European countries, there are RESTRICTIONS. Not everyone is able to attend, you need high averages and dedication. So Joe Schmo "Idiot" as you say, slacks off in High School will not be able to attend College/University even though it's free. In Poland, College/University is FREE to everyone that passes High School. Here's a catch, the passing grade is not 50, 60 it's MUCH higher and if you fail a single course, you have to repeat the entire grade. Seems like a solid system if you ask me.
    Our schools have minimum entrance requirements as well; however, if someone can't get into Waterloo due to poor grades, other schools like McMaster are always willing to accept them. (NOTE: I am being facetious).

Of course... The people that have already finished school when it was easy and cheap would be against this system, bunch of pompous pricks.
    It wasn't long ago that I was a University student myself. I graduated from High School and started my post-secondary schooling in the new millenium. If I were just starting school now, my thoughts would be the same -- you have to keep the future in mind, and not just think of the present.

Education in many European countries is top notch, education here, not so much.
    Canada has good schools and bad schools. Choose a good school and you have nothing to worry about.

Krauser

Our schools have minimum entrance requirements as well; however, if someone can't get into Waterloo due to poor grades, other schools like McMaster are always willing to accept them. (NOTE: I am being facetious).
    Haha, I actually know quite a bit about the University of Waterloo, I know it used to be an absolute **** hole of a school and one of the worst rated university's in Canada till RIM started bleeding money into it. Now it's one of the best, one of the best in certain professions of course.

3 years ago McMaster poured nearly a billion dollars into the program I'm currently taking, state of the art EVERYTHING, brand new building dedicated to it. In my opinion, no other school or institution comes even close (in Canada) to offer such a program. I don't even think Waterloo has anything remotely similar.

Yeah schools pretty cheap if you have decent financial backing...

Haha, I actually know quite a bit about the University of Waterloo, I know it used to be an absolute **** hole of a school and one of the worst rated university's in Canada till RIM started bleeding money into it. Now it's one of the best, one of the best in certain professions of course.
    Waterloo was building a reputation long before RIM ever came to town. RIM was founded by a Unversity of Waterloo grad. Every school has it's speciality, and for Waterloo it is Mathematics, Computer Science, and Engineering. I wouldn't suggest Waterloo for the Arts . . . it is definitely a "geek" school.

3 years ago McMaster poured nearly a billion dollars into the program I'm currently taking, state of the art EVERYTHING, brand new building dedicated to it. In my opinion, no other school or institution comes even close (in Canada) to offer such a program. I don't even think Waterloo has anything remotely similar.
    It isn't the buildings and infrastructure that make a great school, but rather the quality of instruction and the demand for excellence. Waterloo's math programs are world-renowned, but you would never know it by looking at the Math and Computer building. The eyesore of a building was constructed in the 50's with a brutalist architectural style, and was intended to resemble a slide rule. It doesn't matter though . . . even though the building is old and smells of BO, it produces some of the best and brightest.

I know of some community colleges with awesome modern buildings and materials, yet their programs are complete jokes. They accept unmotivated people, and then simply lower the bar when their students don't meet the already-low expectations.

I'm not sure what Waterloo offers in the Process Automation field. Waterloo tends to be a more "theoretical" school, with less emphasis on applied technologies.

Enough school talk... who cares?

Can anyone answer when we might see a cheaper insurance option (although with less coverage) as McGuinty said sometime last year when everyone was bitching about constant insurance increases?

http://www.thestar.com/wheels/articl...ce-regulations

My insurance went up 9.375% this year... how about yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Enough school talk... who cares?

Can anyone answer when we might see a cheaper insurance option (although with less coverage) as McGuinty said sometime last year when everyone was bitching about constant insurance increases?

http://www.thestar.com/wheels/articl...ce-regulations

My insurance went up 9.375% this year... how about yours?
    The definition of Statutory Accident Benefits as we know it will be changing on September 1, 2010. You won't see a premium decrease so much as less of an increase. The claims experience in Ontario is dismal.

Viffer,

You shouldn't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.