Did my first 1600 (1000 mile) day yesterday.

Thread: Did my first 1600 (1000 mile) day yesterday.

Did my first 1600 (1000 mile) day yesterday.

I think it gave me arthritis.

Confederation bridge to Jones Ave - in 15.5 hours.

I had fooled myself into thinking I'd like to do an Iron butt rally some day. I cant even conceive of that now (the same thing or more 10 days in a row). I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

I was wondering if the guy on here that said he was going to do the 2000 mile (3200 km) day pulled it off. I seriously don't even know how thats possible time wise. I hit about an hour delay in Montreal just before rush hour but otherwise was gunning it (140 sh) the whole time. Traffic was unbelievably cooperative (the whole trip really). Very short breaks only for gas, and in one case 20 minutes for half a sub.

Even with a modded gas tank it seems very unlikely someone could do this. Physically and mentally its exhausting and time wise it seems very unlikely. I cant even comprehend doing what I did yesterday twice in a row. Even if I had all the time in the world.

Anyway, just thought id' share. And to the poster in question, if you read this please let me know if you pulled it off. Cheers.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

Re: Did my first 1600 (1000 mile) day yesterday.

I agree, at some point along the way you become a risk to yourself and every one around you. Granted not like a trucker, but there is a reason they are limited in how much time behind the wheel each day.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Not that i would know; i try to keep it around 600kms for the day when planning, but i think what you ride has alot to do with it. My FZ6 or your Vulcan900 are not long distance bikes like say a Goldwing, ST1300 or UltraGlide.

Regardless 1600kms in one day is impressive just to say you did it - now you don't ever have to do it again
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

that is impressive! and i am so glad to finally hear someone talk about how hard it is on you physically!
    sometimes some of the posts on this forum where folks talk about doing cross country runs on some types of bikes with ideas of doing 1000kms days are truly ludicrous.
    the heat, the traffic, the physical tole on your body, the mental exhaustion... it isnt easy and you did it! good for you man!
    the other day i ran to arnprior and back for a job i had to do and it was about 700kms round trip. i felt reasonable afterwards but i certainly knew i had done that much mileage, and i ride a touring bike with a full fairing.
    btw, the dri wear underwear from mark's worked very well!
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post

[...]

I was wondering if the guy on here that said he was going to do the 2000 mile (3200 km) day pulled it off. I seriously don't even know how thats possible time wise.

15.5 hours is pretty good. I rode from Atlanta to Toronto last year (just over 1609km) and it took me 20 hours. I doubt anyone could manage twice the distance in 24h.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Traffic was unbelievably cooperative (the whole trip really).
    I think this is totally key. Yesterday I spent 20 minutes doing two miles on I-84 in "creeping" traffic - too fast to stop completely, too slow to even let the bike idle in 1st. And it was north of 30 degrees. Uphill. In full gear.

Have you ever feathered the clutch for 20 minutes? I have blisters on my blisters....

Congratulations on your 1600 kms.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    btw, the dri wear underwear from mark's worked very well!
    You are welcome!

BTW, I don't find any issue with doing 800 to 1000 km individual days, but wouldn't want to do a bunch of them back to back. And I often do 700 or 800 km Sunday rides with friends. My issue with mileage isn't the actual mileage but rather the sheer boredom in having to susperslab it for so long. I can happily ride 12 hour days on secondary roads over and over again.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Thanks for the accolades (my friends dont get it, lol).

I too can pull off really long rides without much complaint. I find a certain zen in it (which is why I love riding), but what some of these touring guys do, Iron Butters in particular, is a whole other ball game. The 2000 mile day I am skeptical is possible but they claim that it is and will "certify" it. Someone must have done it at some point. If it is possible it would involve as much luck as anything else. But they also have other crazy *** certificates they hand out, like 100,000 miles in a year. Could you imagine that? That would warp you. lol.

Anyway, its true my bike isnt made for this sort of thing, and I think one day I will get something more toury. My girlfriend wants me to get a Goldwing for the passenger seat. She deserves it (did Key West and back on about 8 inches of vulcan passenger seat with no complaint) If I had 30 grand lying around I might consider it, lol.
    Last edited by Buddhacide; 05-28-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks for the accolades (my friends dont get it, lol).

I too can pull off really long rides without much complaint. I find a certain zen in it (which is why I love riding), but what some of these touring guys do, Iron Butters in particular, is a whole other ball game. The 2000 mile day I am skeptical is possible but they claim that it is and will "certify" it. Someone must have done it at some point. If it is possible it would involve as much luck as anything else. But they also have other crazy *** certificates they hand out, like 100,000 miles in a year. Could you imagine that? That would warp you. lol.

Anyway, its true my bike isnt made for this sort of thing, and I think one day I will get something more toury. My girlfriend wants me to get a Goldwing for the passenger seat. She deserves it (did Key West and back on about 8 inches of vulcan passenger seat with no complaint) If I had 30 grand lying around I might consider it, lol.
    You did well to get that much mileage in one day.. I think it's easier in the USA as in some states they are much more relaxed about the speed limit. I think out west that real speeds up in the 90 mph range are realistic without getting hasseled. If you averaged 90mph for 24 hours (which would be very very hard I think!) then you would get 2160 miles in.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

I've done deals gap to downtown toronto in one go. Took around 16 hours, and was just shy of 1600 kms. I was a little tired when I got home, but I honestly didn't think it was all that bad. Went tank to tank for the most part, with one 20-30 minute stop for food, and stayed pretty much around 120km/h with the flow of traffic. Zero traffic back ups, and border lineup sure helped. Had a little bit of rain around Cincinnati which was nice as it was like turning on the air con. My sig pic is from the start of that journey.

I was going to document the trip to get my iron butt, but once on the road I kinda forgot about it. No maps, but I kinda had an idea what highways to take, but once I got on I75 I just followed the signs. Was a great trip, But I'd probably break it up next time. The ride down was worse. 26 hours from Beamsville to the gap. had a bunch of delays while meeting up with a bunch of people from Pa. Rode through the night, and was dead dog tired when we got there. THAT was a ride from hell. Woobie was on that one, and I'm sure it's one he'd like to forget too
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    sometimes some of the posts on this forum where folks talk about doing cross country runs on some types of bikes with ideas of doing 1000kms days are truly ludicrous.
    True. If *you* can't do it, then it *is* truly ludicrous.

wow I am impressed.

I gotta try these long tours soon!

I can barely go 600kms before being exhausted.

I had fooled myself into thinking I'd like to do an Iron butt rally some day. I cant even conceive of that now (the same thing or more 10 days in a row). I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

I was wondering if the guy on here that said he was going to do the 2000 mile (3200 km) day pulled it off. I seriously don't even know how thats possible time wise. I hit about an hour delay in Montreal just before rush hour but otherwise was gunning it (140 sh) the whole time. Traffic was unbelievably cooperative (the whole trip really). Very short breaks only for gas, and in one case 20 minutes for half a sub.

Even with a modded gas tank it seems very unlikely someone could do this. Physically and mentally its exhausting and time wise it seems very unlikely. I cant even comprehend doing what I did yesterday twice in a row. Even if I had all the time in the world.

Anyway, just thought id' share. And to the poster in question, if you read this please let me know if you pulled it off. Cheers.
    I think that was me. Saddle Sore 2500 Gold, doing it tomorrow May 29th. 2500 km in 24 hours

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Ah! I just had a look at the IBA site, its not 2000 miles, its 2500km. Thanks for clarifying that. That seems alot more possible, although still extremely difficult. Gary please post your results and your experiences. Have you chosen your route? Hopefully you've timed things to avoid any rush hours. Even a short delay could kibosh you.

Ah! I just had a look at the IBA site, its not 2000 miles, its 2500km. Thanks for clarifying that. That seems alot more possible, although still extremely difficult. Gary please post your results and your experiences. Have you chosen your route? Hopefully you've timed things to avoid any rush hours. Even a short delay could kibosh you.
    Route chosen, gas stations chosen, ready to go

Track me here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qEsPsMQxSlLpkcfL1CEOrXE0AaiuHK Fa

Every 10 minutes it plots where I am.

My stops are
    1. Kingston
    2. hyway 20 exit 102
    3. hyway 20 exit 450
    4. hyway 20 exit 102
    5. Kingston
    6. 401 west of hyway 6 north
    7. Windsor
    8. Steeles & Trafalgar END

Garry
    Last edited by Garry_Kramer; 05-28-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

I did a little basic math.......

2000 miles in 24 hours requires a sustained 83 mph.

2500 km's in 24 hours requires a sustained 105 kph.

130 kph for 20 hours will let you cover 2600 km's.

I have done 1140 miles in 20 hours in order to see a soccer game my oldest daughter was playing in. I found it easy on the US Interstate system (Eureka Springs, Arkansas - Hamilton, ON) and riding a VFR.

Well done riding from down east!!

The 1600 is easy enough to do, if your determined to do it. Back breaking as it is, I dont think anyone that actually wants to do it would fail - even on a relatively uncomfortable bike. Plenty of time in 24 hours. In theory I could have done another 400 km without worrying about time. Not that I would want to do that at this point, lol. Gary's trip though will require him to not hit any serious obstacles to make time. One rush hour or traffic jam, severe weather etc.... can rob you of an hour or two easily. With that sort of distance its difficult to not come across something that will slow you down.

At any rate Its going to be awesome if you pull it off.

Its funny both times I've done these long treks from out east (last one was 1400km from Fredericton). I remember hitting the 1000 or so mark at Montreal, both times in heavy traffic, and getting out after an hour or two to realize I still had another 400-500 km to go. It was hard. I couldnt even imagine that after twice the distance. Remember me when you hit the 2000 mark!
    Last edited by Buddhacide; 05-28-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlc View Post
    130 kph for 20 hours will let you cover 2600 km's.
    [...]
    I found it easy on the US Interstate system (Eureka Springs, Arkansas - Hamilton, ON) [...]
    It's about 1000km from El Paso to Texarkana in Texas... And the western part of I-10 has 80mph speed limit.

Just throwing it out there for anyone interested...
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.