What tools do you pack? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What tools do you pack?

Re: What tools do you pack?

Didn't see anyone mention a small pair of Vise-Grips. Very useful, especially when dealing with broken/bent parts.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

This weekend my front bulb blew up. I came from Wierton all the way to Orangeville at night without any front light. Not one gas station had a H4 bulb. It was a scary ride and quite irresponsible. I will always carry a spare bulb.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I've heard good things about Ride-On tire sealant. From all the patch kits here I guess not many people use it? It supposedly even helps balance the tire.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I've heard good things about Ride-On tire sealant. From all the patch kits here I guess not many people use it? It supposedly even helps balance the tire.
    I change my own tires and would hate to see the mess they leave inside...the can of goo is also heavier to carry then the strings. Sorry no pic yet, I will get one at some point.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    I change my own tires and would hate to see the mess they leave inside...the can of goo is also heavier to carry then the strings. Sorry no pic yet, I will get one at some point.
    Hmm I've seen it recommended for people that change their own tires because you can avoid balancing them. You're probably right about the mess though.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

In addition to the stock toolpack: pliers, knife, flashlight, screwdriver.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I have used it a few times. It seems to work as advertised in that it keeps the wheel balanced. There is at lest one report (in the V-Strom world) of a user getting a flat even though they used Ride-On. I had read their promotional material saying that tires might last longer because they ran cooler but I didn't see any difference in tire life with or without it.

It doesn't make a mess of the tire. It is water soluable and can be rinsed out, but when Ted (of Rosey Toes) changed my tires he and I were both surprised that it seemed to stay in the area that is opposite of the tread within the tire. It wasn't as soft and gooey as you would expect and didn't run out of the tire when in the machine that takes off the tire.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

I carry this roll around in my top case. Everything I need, except for a tire repair kit.

Geez.. Reading all these responses makes me wonder. I don't go for rides longer than a week (I don't have that much vacation), but I never worry too much about the bike breaking down. Guided by my experience I tend to pack as little as possible. Next time I will probably pack less stuff than the last. Top case? I put backpack to my back seat under a cargo net and off I go. How much stuff do you carry with you..?
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

I can cary a fair bit:

Though it really depends on the trip and what I am doing ie camping.

Always better to have some tools for chance something happens. Nothing worse then being 3000kms from home and trying to use a swiss army knife as a tool. A good set packs fairly small and is worth it when you need it.

Sitting here humming and hahing.. over what to pack myself.. picking a new bike up in Seattle and then riding it back to Ontario. I am planning on keeping my route within range of dealers, but on top of it all I have to fly the tools and my gear out to pick the bike up.

I usually carry a bag about the size of a toiletry bag, and in it will be:

Set of allen wrenches
    Electrical and duct tape
    ratchet and a few sockets of the important sizes
    puncture repair kit
    tie wraps
    velcro straps
    LOCTITE (blue)- surprised I haven't seen it listed here
    mini spray bomb wd40
    small pliers

Then a compressor in the top case - need a new one though because mine only works with cig adaptor, new bike doesn't have one yet.
    Also carried chain lube and my Quickstand, but the new bike has a shaft anyways..

Looks like I should add a knife and a cig lighter to the pack.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    Geez.. Reading all these responses makes me wonder. I don't go for rides longer than a week (I don't have that much vacation), but I never worry too much about the bike breaking down. Guided by my experience I tend to pack as little as possible. Next time I will probably pack less stuff than the last. Top case? I put backpack to my back seat under a cargo net and off I go. How much stuff do you carry with you..?
    Heh ... the newest bike I ever had was 10 years old, and it was a Triumph to boot. Generally I expect something minor to break when I'm on a trip. I usually pack the Haynes manual too. :P Last thing to actually break was a speedo cable. Phoned ahead, found one and installed it myself before my trip was halfway over.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

One thing I missed and several of you mention it is a leatherman tool..

Anyone recommend a GTA store to pick one up without spending an arm and a leg?

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Standard bike tool kit, a Leatherman wannabe by Carolina Knife (hey, it was only $6) and some insta-inflate tire goop.

Haven't used anything yet though (touch wood)

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    One thing I missed and several of you mention it is a leatherman tool..

Anyone recommend a GTA store to pick one up without spending an arm and a leg?
    MEC has a decent selection

Few things missing from the pics. Normally have some electrical tape, small compressor, and the string type tire repair kit. Also a smaller can of chain lube instead of the big one. All still fits under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Spare levers, allen keys, leatherman, AJ always in the bike. For longer trips add sockets for adjusting the chain.
    AJ?

BJ Weld plastic aluminum??
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Few things missing from the pics. Normally have some electrical tape, small compressor, and the string type tire repair kit. Also a smaller can of chain lube instead of the big one. All still fits under the seat.

What's that weird bracket thing?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    What's that weird bracket thing?
    I want to know, but my guess is it is for checking chain tension.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    AJ?

BJ Weld plastic aluminum??
    Sorry, weird British abbreviation for adjustable wrench.

Jb weld is two part epoxy that looks like playdough. You mush the two colours together then mold, it hardens in 15 minutes or so. You could use it to repair cracked cases but I wouldn't use it on levers or pegs, it is pretty strong once set bit I wouldn't trust my life with it.

Instead of an air compressor I carry a small bike pump (I have a Blackburn airstick, but any decent pump would work.)