What tools do you pack?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What tools do you pack?

What tools do you pack?

What tools, if any, do you pack for a day trip vs weekend vs week ... and so on?

Just prepping for a weekend trip and the concern is overpacking. Found a great bag at crappy tire. Basically a sheet with pockets to put tools in that you can fold, roll, and tie into a bundle.

Re: What tools do you pack?

Spare levers, allen keys, leatherman, AJ always in the bike. For longer trips add sockets for adjusting the chain.

none- i do however carry a lock for my jacket, as well as a foldable nylon backpack- never know when you'll need to carry someting with you

plus plenty of snack bars and a few packets of oatmeal which i can make at any coffee shop if i get really hungry

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

I carry enough tools to take apart everything that might break on the side of the road, within reason. I bought the little jobmate 90 peice kit from canadian tire and took everything out of the little box to save space. I have a small ratchet, a small 1/8th drive screw driver, sockets from 6-15mm, a 17mm wrench, an adjustable wrench, a various assortment of screw driver bits, and the tool kit on the bike which includes a sparkplug wrench and some pliers

I ride vintage bikes though so its fairly helpful to be able to fix them on the side of the road

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    I carry enough tools to take apart everything that might break on the side of the road, within reason. I bought the little jobmate 90 peice kit from canadian tire and took everything out of the little box to save space. I have a small ratchet, a small 1/8th drive screw driver, sockets from 6-15mm, a 17mm wrench, an adjustable wrench, a various assortment of screw driver bits, and the tool kit on the bike which includes a sparkplug wrench and some pliers

I ride vintage bikes though so its fairly helpful to be able to fix them on the side of the road
    how much would u guesstimate your tool pack weighs?

other than:
    -changing tires
    -breaking/riveting the chain
    -electrical diagnosis
    -repair broken fasteners or plastic
    -repairs to engine internals, fork internals, or changing bearings

With the EXCEPTION of the above semi-typical tasks, I can do everything else using the factory toolkit which came with my bike, which lives under the seat, and goes everywhere the bike goes. If any of the above needs doing, I'm gonna phone a friend...

(...plus needle nose pliers with cutters, and some steel lockwire. They weren't originally in the kit, but are worth taking.)

The wing's toolkit has everything i could possibly need.With a CAA card and my cell.I'm set.I do keep an oil filter in the kit as well.A big rock or speedbumb can take out the filter.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Factory tool kit with some of the tools replaced with better versions, and a few spanners that it was missing. Tire patch kit, can of chain lube, multi tool, electrical tape and a flash light (it sucks being stuck in the dark trying to find where you dropped something). I also have a very compact stand since I do not have a center stand. It all fits under my seat and I just do not bother to remove it. I can take a pic tonight if you like...
    Last edited by skip; 05-25-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I have the toolkit that came with the bike. I use it every time I work on the bike, once on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    It all fits under my seat and I just do not bother to remove it. I can take a pick tonight if you like...
    That'd be nice. Let's see your setup, thx

Something i didn't realize about my Hyper until i got it home.The "toolkit" is attached the inside of the front plastic.If you don't have a coin to open the 1/4 turn fasteners,your outta luck.And when you get it out,it's useful for a kid and his tinkertoy set.There is no other storage on the bike.Nothing!
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Tire patch kit,bikes tool kit,caa plus card and cell phone,
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    how much would u guesstimate your tool pack weighs?

The honda toolkit weighs about 3 pounds on my 450, but it has its own case above the swingarm. I jammed some rags and spark plugs in there as well. The little jobmate kit that i pilfered to create the kit i keep in my backpack probably weighs 2 or 3 pounds once you take it out of the plastic carrying case. I put it all in this otherwise useless front pouch on the backpack, can hardly feel it unless the backpack is completely empty, then it kind of pulls the front of the bag down a bit. Otherwise i never notice.

Check canadian tire when they have jobmate sales though, i got the 90 peice kit for $3.99, it comes in a little square box that folds out flat once you undo the clips. I tried carrying the kit around in the box for a while, but it was too bulky and i didnt need all of the tools it had in it.

In addition to the stock toolkit, I've got some duct tape, quicksteel putty and stainless steel wire to hold things together, small vice grips in case I break a lever, a tire patch kit and small compressor, electrical tape and some spare fuses. I think I've also got some nitrile gloves in there too. If I can't handle a problem with all of that I've got a cell phone and cash.
    WeeStrom!

Banned

Suntan Lotion, Clear Safety glasses ( for night rides )

Wallet, old cell phone, maybe a pepsi

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

On any LONG trip, I carry the following (sounds like alot, but its not):

Foldable needlenose plyers/wire cutters
    A few black zip ties in three difference sizes.
    A few Allen wrenches (anything that can completely remove my plastics and engine bolts)
    A few sockets + handle (if not Allen head noted above)
    A mini screw driver
    A jackknife
    A small metal mini-ruler
    A small plastic baggie containing assorted metric nuts 'n bolts and screws of varying lengths and styles. Ever loose a screw or two on a long trip? Nice to have a spare!

While not technically a "tool", I also carry the following:
    Tire plug kit
    mini-air compressor
    mini-flashlight
    lighter
    matches

My Blackberry and a number to CAA!
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

I have the factory toolkit (to which have added a Leatherman Multitool) for my V-Strom under the seat, as well as a tire compressor that plugs into my cigarette lighter (that normally powers my GPS). My topcase has a tire repair kit in it (along with matches and a lighter which are needed for the patch) and a flashlight. On my last trip (5700 km came back last weds night) I put some duct tape around a pen that is in my topcase (but that was more in case I had to adjust my microphone in my helmet.)

That is all the tools I have had with my Strom in 113,000 km and (knock wood) I have never needed them on the road.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

sounds like tire repair is a common theme

recommendations on patch kits (strings vs mushrooms) and mini-compressors (where and how much)?

In my old GSXR and my old Katana, I had the stock OEM kit, plus I added a Gerber multitool, a full set of allen keys & Holder, and some ratcheting spanners in common sizes (10, 12, 13,14mm), a small adjustable wrench, and a good flashlight with LED bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    sounds like tire repair is a common theme

recommendations on patch kits (strings vs mushrooms) and mini-compressors (where and how much)?
    I got the Strings (I think Princess Auto or Canadian Tire) and the compressor was from Canadian Tire. They seem to have a sale on the compressor a couple of times a year and they end up being $10 or so. I think I paid about $20.

I got the strings as one of the technicians where I work repaired a puncture using the strings and I saw how it was done. I looked like the important part was to set it on fire afterwards to vulcanize the rubber and seemed easy enough to do. It lasted another 15,000 km or so until that car needed new rear tires. I have never used them on the bike (yet!)

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report