engine siezed what should i do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine siezed what should i do?

engine siezed what should i do?

So last night I was meeting up with some of my friends in Richmondhill, was cruising up the DVP with some of my boys and I noticed my engine was stopping for a split second and losing power. I pulled over at the York Mills exit and it made some wierd noises, turned it off and was looking around my bike to see what had happened, I din't see anything and thought i would start it up again...it wouldnt even roll over just made a clicking noise. At this point I knew I was screwed...was on the DVP waiting for my tow truck for like 2 and a half hours and got home at three in the morning. Took it to the mechanic this morning and they told me that my engine had siezed up and it would cost close to $2000 to fix... Its a 2007 Hyosung GT250R and I dont know what to do with it...its my first bike and I think it isn't worth $2000 to get it fix because that almot 2/3 of what i actually paid for the bike...WTF SHOulD I DO??!!

Re: engine siezed what should i do?

Quote Originally Posted by showtime- View Post
    So last night I was meeting up with some of my friends in Richmondhill, was cruising up the DVP with some of my boys and I noticed my engine was stopping for a split second and losing power. I pulled over at the York Mills exit and it made some wierd noises, turned it off and was looking around my bike to see what had happened, I din't see anything and thought i would start it up again...it wouldnt even roll over just made a clicking noise. At this point I knew I was screwed...was on the DVP waiting for my tow truck for like 2 and a half hours and got home at three in the morning. Took it to the mechanic this morning and they told me that my engine had siezed up and it would cost close to $2000 to fix... Its a 2007 Hyosung GT250R and I dont know what to do with it...its my first bike and I think it isn't worth $2000 to get it fix because that almot 2/3 of what i actually paid for the bike...WTF SHOulD I DO??!!
    Cheapest and quickest alternative is to call it a day on the Hyosung, and get another motorcycle.

Hyosung == Hyundai of the 1980's IMHO.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

If you trust that mechanic and you really have to replace the engine, then there is a list of scrap yards on this forum. Start calling them and buy a good engine from one of them. If you're technically inclined and have the tools, it's not that hard to replace the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    Cheapest and quickest alternative is to call it a day on the Hyosung, and get another motorcycle.

Hyosung == Hyundai of the 1980's IMHO.

I was thinking that or engine swap maybe...trying to keep my options open right now and open to any helpful advice thanks for the reply.

Was there any oil in it? Crazy.

Did you try butt starting it? Would be funny if the battery was low causing the clicking when starting and the mech just said seized engine

Probably not the case though. Good luck on the repair/replacement.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Clicking from the starter usually just means a dead battery. If something in the engine seized though it would probably also click if it didn't have the torque to turn the seized motor.

Did you try bumping it to see if it actually is seized? I can't imagine a bike that new punching a valve or going sideways on you.

The fact that you heard weird noises and turned it off yourself instead of having it seize mid-operation on you leads me to think it's something electrical, with the carbs, or maybe upper cylinder like a cam chain break.

Have you been keeping up on the maintenance? I've seen plenty of people buy brand new bikes for their first and make the poor assumption they can ignore things like regular oil changes or chain tension.

It's hard to say without more details. I'd definitely shop around the bike shops before forking over that kind of jack: I've had a shop quote me $1400 to have my 83 vt500 pass cert. Instead I went to Canadian tire and spent $50 spotting up what they told me about, took it to another shop and had it pass cert on the first try.
    83 Honda shadow 500 -selling-
    77 Suzuki gs750

Battery was brand new bought in March and the charge was fine, I had changed the oil about a week and a half ago. I don't have much and the hyosung is one of my prized posessions so I babied that thing. Starting to get second thoughts about it now...should have bought japanese

btw my brother is a mechanic and he helped me maintain my bike.

I had changed the oil about a week and a half ago.
    Hmmmm. Heard the exact same thing from the SV650 guy who ran his bike outa oil on the Dyno!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Erch View Post
    Clicking from the starter usually just means a dead battery. If something in the engine seized though it would probably also click if it didn't have the torque to turn the seized motor.

Did you try bumping it to see if it actually is seized? I can't imagine a bike that new punching a valve or going sideways on you.

The fact that you heard weird noises and turned it off yourself instead of having it seize mid-operation on you leads me to think it's something electrical, with the carbs, or maybe upper cylinder like a cam chain break.

Have you been keeping up on the maintenance? I've seen plenty of people buy brand new bikes for their first and make the poor assumption they can ignore things like regular oil changes or chain tension.

It's hard to say without more details. I'd definitely shop around the bike shops before forking over that kind of jack: I've had a shop quote me $1400 to have my 83 vt500 pass cert. Instead I went to Canadian tire and spent $50 spotting up what they told me about, took it to another shop and had it pass cert on the first try.
    The starters usually make a god-awful noise when you try and use them on a seized engine, like GARARARARARHARCHACHARHARHACHACAC. The gears on the starter grinding, or the chain slapping, depending on how it works.

OP, sounds to me like the battery was just dead... Seized engine wouldnt prevent you from rolling it in neutral i wouldnt think, unless the entire inside of the engine blew up and shot parts everywhere... But then you would have heard that. What shop was this? Are they trust worthy? Might just be trying to bend you over because you couldnt tell yourself that the battery was dead...

First thing i would do is put a multimeter on that battery. Second thing i would do is pull the alternator cover and try and crank the engine by hand. If you cant turn it there, its definately seized up, or at least theres been metal on metal contact inside the engine. But from your description, doesnt sound like thats what happened...

Ask kneedragger88 to take a look at it. He will pick it up and deliver it I believe as well. Look him up on here.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

btw my brother is a mechanic and he helped me maintain my bike.
    Get your brother to rip open the engine and have a look to find out why it seized. Your own brother is probably (hopefully) going to be honest with you and might even be willing to do the work cheaper (free?).

Just 'cause it seized doesn't mean you need a whole new engine necessarily.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    The starters usually make a god-awful noise when you try and use them on a seized engine, like GARARARARARHARCHACHARHARHACHACAC. The gears on the starter grinding, or the chain slapping, depending on how it works.

OP, sounds to me like the battery was just dead... Seized engine wouldnt prevent you from rolling it in neutral i wouldnt think, unless the entire inside of the engine blew up and shot parts everywhere... But then you would have heard that. What shop was this? Are they trust worthy? Might just be trying to bend you over because you couldnt tell yourself that the battery was dead...

First thing i would do is put a multimeter on that battery. Second thing i would do is pull the alternator cover and try and crank the engine by hand. If you cant turn it there, its definately seized up, or at least theres been metal on metal contact inside the engine. But from your description, doesnt sound like thats what happened...
    sorry I should have been more specific, ya it did make an awful noise last night that sounded like your description. I took it to Cyclewerx on keele and bloor ive been going to them since last year and I think they do an awesome job, and they did open the engine by hand and stuck a torque wrench in the engine and it wouldnt move, that's when he gave me the look and said...

sux man, how many km on the bike? I never heard of a 3 year-old bike grenading for no reason before. Hysong is probably why.

Yeah, as much as i hate cyclewerx, i dont think theyre rip off artists so theyre probably being straight with you.

Your best bet at this point would be to see if you can find an engine out of a trashed bike. Check around ebay, you can probably pick one up for a couple hundred bucks and swap it out in a day. Motorcycle engines are generally pretty easy to bolt in.

Id be curious as well to find out why it seized... Thats pretty weird, generally it takes a lot of abuse to seize up a modern 4 stroke.

That is weird, when the engine seized was there any oil in it?
    you said you did an oil change the week before.
    If you did not put the drain plug or filter on properly you could have been losing oil and thats why it seized up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    Ask kneedragger88 to take a look at it. He will pick it up and deliver it I believe as well. Look him up on here.
    +1 on kneedragger

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    Yeah, as much as i hate cyclewerx, i dont think theyre rip off artists so theyre probably being straight with you.

Your best bet at this point would be to see if you can find an engine out of a trashed bike. Check around ebay, you can probably pick one up for a couple hundred bucks and swap it out in a day. Motorcycle engines are generally pretty easy to bolt in.

Id be curious as well to find out why it seized... Thats pretty weird, generally it takes a lot of abuse to seize up a modern 4 stroke.
    1+

This is a good time to put in a Hayabusa engine in this thing. loll..

No I'm kidding, but honnestly you should just buy a new engine, it shouldn't cost $2,000. Thats a little too much for a 250 engine. If anything, cant you just make a different model bikes engine fit in this thing, if its in the same class that is.. A ninja 250R?

sorry I should have been more specific, ya it did make an awful noise last night that sounded like your description. I took it to Cyclewerx on keele and bloor ive been going to them since last year and I think they do an awesome job, and they did open the engine by hand and stuck a torque wrench in the engine and it wouldnt move, that's when he gave me the look and said...
    Yeah, I don't think the cyclewerx guys would try to pull a fast one either.

Still blows my mind that such a new bike would seize.
    83 Honda shadow 500 -selling-
    77 Suzuki gs750

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    That is weird, when the engine seized was there any oil in it?
    you said you did an oil change the week before.
    If you did not put the drain plug or filter on properly you could have been losing oil and thats why it seized up.
    I'd be interested to know if there was any oil in it as well. If it's the case and there's little to no oil, things would make a whole lot more sense.

I was doing some research and I came across a few incidents where some Hyosung owners were complaing that their conecting rods were snapping or it was just one person making the same post all over the place. Anyways, I'm going to rip open the engine this long weekend and see if I can figure out what the hell is going on with it.