Custom made ear plugs worth the $$ ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom made ear plugs worth the $$ ?

Custom made ear plugs worth the $$ ?

Anyone here had custom ear plugs made ? Where would you go to get them fitted ? How much were they ? Are they worth the money ? Do they last long as in season after season or do you need to replace them...? Do the disposable earplugs you buy at Shoppers or Canada Tire work just as well ?

Re: Custom made ear plugs worth the $$ ?

I have a custom pair that I had made for me from "Hear at Last" in the walmart in Bolton. I paid $80 for it, and it was worth every penny. They fit perfectly in my ear, and dont have any discomfort. I've used them for 2 seasons, and are still in great shape.
    The disposable plugs hurt after a few hours, while I sometimes forget I'm wearing the custom plugs. They also dont get tugged by the helmet when Im taking it on or off
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I have a custom pair that I had made for me from "Hear at Last" in the walmart in Bolton. I paid $80 for it, and it was worth every penny. They fit perfectly in my ear, and dont have any discomfort. I've used them for 2 seasons, and are still in great shape.
    The disposable plugs hurt after a few hours, while I sometimes forget I'm wearing the custom plugs. They also dont get tugged by the helmet when Im taking it on or off
    Would you be able to use these to drown out noise while sleeping also?

I got some made at the bike show last winter from a company called "EARZ Canada". Think it was around $50-$60.

They are "ok". In fact, I only used them once and haven't used them since.

The problem is, they are indeed shaped for your ear, BUT, they easily fall out and move around when putting the helmet on and off. They aren't as quiet as my cheapie ear plugs that I continue to use.

My biggest beef with them, is because they were molded, while you are sitting stationary and not moving at all. They work fine in this application, however, as soon as you move your jaw or open your mouth, or move your head around, etc, this changes the shape of your ear canal and it lets all kind of noise in, and the ear plugs move. Unacceptable.

For me, I've found what works better is the "flange" type ear plugs. They go in easy, stay in place, continue to form to your ear canal as the shape changes, and are FAR quieter than my custom ear plugs, and they only cost a buck a pair.

Conclusion. Save your money.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

I had a pair made from "listen up Canada" (or something like that). Cost about $90 and have some sort of filter in them that allow only quiet decibels through. When the noise level isn't crazy you can hear people talking but as soon as it gets louder (me flying off the line on my harley) the earplugs shut out that noise. Not sure how it works but they are working quite nicely!

I definitely recommend getting a pair of custom fitted ones. Mine fit in and stay in without me having to squeeze them back in every 15 minutes or so. I've been using them for three seasons already and they still fit and work perfect.
    2007 Harley XL 1200 "M" (mobster) a.k.a. Lucky Devil

Quote Originally Posted by MotoStark View Post
    I got some made at the bike show last winter from a company called "EARZ Canada". Think it was around $50-$60.

They are "ok". In fact, I only used them once and haven't used them since.

The problem is, they are indeed shaped for your ear, BUT, they easily fall out and move around when putting the helmet on and off. They aren't as quiet as my cheapie ear plugs that I continue to use.

My biggest beef with them, is because they were molded, while you are sitting stationary and not moving at all. They work fine in this application, however, as soon as you move your jaw or open your mouth, or move your head around, etc, this changes the shape of your ear canal and it lets all kind of noise in, and the ear plugs move. Unacceptable.

For me, I've found what works better is the "flange" type ear plugs. They go in easy, stay in place, continue to form to your ear canal as the shape changes, and are FAR quieter than my custom ear plugs, and they only cost a buck a pair.

Conclusion. Save your money.

Sorry buddy but you got a crap pair from a crap manufacturer.

I had some made at a bike show by an audiologist that were about $85 and they are the best investment I've ever made.

Molded perfectly, easier to put in than the cheapies, and I've never had them fall out.

They keep noise out far better and are easy to pull in and out.

I highly recommend them and use them both for riding and at the track. I've used them for sleeping too and unlike the cheapies they didn't fall out of my ears and stayed in all night.

edit: I just remembered that I saved the receipt and claimed them as a health expense on my taxes the next year too!

I had a pair made at the spring bike show and they work awesome! Never had any problems with them falling out.

I had mine made by Hearing Protection Ontario www.protectyourhearing.ca and they have locations in Thornhill and Bowmanville. 416-726-7237 or 905-431-2045 (just happened to have the case in my purse).

Do they take long to make and is there a bluetooth option?

Had a pair made at the last International show and I must say I will never go back to the disposable ones. Better fit, better noise blocking and I never worry about them popping out. You kind of dial them in, so they just cannot slip out, you'd have to consciously try .... I paid 75 and it was a company from US. I liked how they sealed the plugs at the end, so why not totally hard the outside surface is sealed against bacteria, dirt etc. also makes it very easy to clean. That was the difference when compared to the cheaper company who was at the show as well.

The only problem is for people who easily loose things. If you are one of them, you will be throwing decent chunk of money away every time you loose them.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    I'm not sure how long they take to make but i know that you can get wired ones. I really doubt bluetooth ones are even possible at this point. But you never know.

I plan on getting a set of wired ones for next season at the December bike show this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    It takes 5 minutes for the the substance to harden in your ear canal initially. Then, after they pull it out of your ear, they sealed it and it took 30mins to dry. But they really need you only for 5 mins or so, that's it.

The company I was with, would do earphones, so I guess if you provide the right hardware they could do anything ....

I've had them and no longer use them.... I found they became painful after a few hours.

I'm happy with the foam rubber pairs

Surprised nobody has mentioned www.earfuze.com

Best investment I have ever made. Molded earplugs that you make yourself. After I bought mine I know of at least three other people that ordered a set after seeing mine and they all love them.

Takes minutes to make and they work great.

Darryl

p.s. I ordered the blue/red lite version for $35 and really don't think the extra kit that includes a "practice" ear are necessary.

I use a pair of Hearo's plugs, designed for musician stage use. They allow all frequency's through upto about 85dB, then they cut louder sounds off. Due to the fact that they allow sound to pass them they only get a 12dB noise reduction rating, but they work!

Now to get some helmet speakers!
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

i paid $35 for 200 pairs of NRR 33 foam plugs off ebay. works very well. should last me 10 years lol

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    I've had them and no longer use them.... I found they became painful after a few hours.

I'm happy with the foam rubber pairs
    that's cuz u shoved the plugs in too far. pull them out a little and you will be fine. either way over time your ear canal will expand a little so u will get used to it. plus expanded ear canal lets the ear wax out easier lol

My audiologist has made me two pairs of custom fitted earplugs. I usually forget they are in my ears as they are vey comfortable and do not move. You have to learn the right way to put them in so they are sitting properly, but once they are in they work great. i can hear cars and trucks around me, just a bit muted. With the second pair I had requested a string to join them together, but the helmet presses on it and that is uncomfortable, so nor more string!

John

Just ordered me a pair. I went for the motor sport package with the trial material and storage bag. Hoping they block enough wind noise.

I usually use the silicon disposables, but if they are not in your ear correctly they actually amplify the wind noise. Makes for very tiring riding.

Thanks for the heads up..
    Cheers...Jake

Quote Originally Posted by dddale View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned
    www.earfuze.com
    Best investment I have ever made. Molded earplugs that you make yourself. After I bought mine I know of at least three other people that ordered a set after seeing mine and they all love them.

Takes minutes to make and they work great.

Darryl

p.s. I ordered the blue/red lite version for $35 and really don't think the extra kit that includes a "practice" ear are necessary.
    86 FJ1200....the best year....

You can also get the silicon from an art supply store and make your own...

Someone posted recently the details, which reminds me I need to stop at the art store and pick the stuff up.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**