My first speeding ticket

Thread: My first speeding ticket

My first speeding ticket

So I just got my first speeding ticket for going 80 on a 50.

I was going southbound on Pharmacy, then made a left on Mc Nicole going east bound. On Both streets I was following traffic. The police officer pulled me over right after I turned left onto Mc Nicole. The ticket was for going 80 on a 50 on Mc Nicole.

I know I did not go 80 on Mc Nicole because I just turned left from Pharmacy and there was traffic all around. The police officer told me he followed me from Pharmacy / Steeles and that I was going 80. But at the same time, he still wrote down I was going 80 on a 50 zone. I believe Pharmacy is a 60 zone.

I know I was in the wrong on Pharmacy, but i don't think its fair for the officer to write me a ticket on mc Nicole.

Questions:
    1) Is there any way I can get the points reduced? I don't care about the fines, I rather take the fines and have the points reduced.

2) Will my insurance go up by a lot even if I get the points reduced?

Re: My first speeding ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 150dpi View Post

I was going southbound on Pharmacy, then made a left on Mc Nicole going east bound. On Both streets I was following traffic. The police officer pulled me over right after I turned left onto Mc Nicole. The ticket was for going 80 on a 50 on Mc Nicole.

I know I did not go 80 on Mc Nicole because I just turned left from Pharmacy and there was traffic all around. The police officer told me he followed me from Pharmacy / Steeles and that I was going 80. But at the same time, he still wrote down I was going 80 on a 50 zone. I believe Pharmacy is a 60 zone.

I know I was in the wrong on Pharmacy, but i don't think its fair for the officer to write me a ticket on mc Nicole.

Questions:
    1) Is there any way I can get the points reduced? I don't care about the fines, I rather take the fines and have the points reduced.

1) You can/will almost certainly have the fine/points reduced if you take your ticket to court.

2) Points have no effect on insurance, the conviction is what matters. Different insurers have different policies on minor/major convictions and how they affect rates.

Banned

1) Easily. Talk to the prosecutor on the morning of your court date and offer to plead guilty to a lower speed. You're looking at 4 demerit points now. Dropping the conviction speed by just 1 kmph to 29 kmph over will drop you to 3 points. Dropping it down to 15 kmph over will cost you no demerit points, and the prosecutor may agree to this.

2) Depends on your current driving record. Insurance companies care about convictions, not points. Since you seem to be worried about demerit points, is it fair to say you have racked up other demerit point-carrying tickets in the last couple of years? If so, this one has potential to cause an insurance rate hike if your insurance company discovers it. On the other hand, if you have no convictions in the last three years, this one probably won't have any serious effect on your rates.

Questions:

Insurance companies generally don't care about points, they care about the number of convictions (and make a disctinction between minor and major offences). Some of them allow one or two minor tickets before raising your premium. If you believe that you can stay ticketless until this one expires from your record then try to make a deal with the prosecutor. Otherwise, fight it.

Now, in your particular situation, if you believe that you were not doing 80, then fight it. Just don't say in court that you were only doing 75.. lol
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    1) Easily. Talk to the prosecutor on the morning of your court date and offer to plead guilty to a lower speed. You're looking at 4 demerit points now. Dropping the conviction speed by just 1 kmph to 29 kmph over will drop you to 3 points. Dropping it down to 15 kmph over will cost you no demerit points, and the prosecutor may agree to this.

2) Depends on your current driving record. Insurance companies care about convictions, not points. Since you seem to be worried about demerit points, is it fair to say you have racked up other demerit point-carrying tickets in the last couple of years? If so, this one has potential to cause an insurance rate hike if your insurance company discovers it. On the other hand, if you have no convictions in the last three years, this one probably won't have any serious effect on your rates.
    Actually no, I have not had a ticket ever in my life. I'm worried about the points because I was told any points on my record will increase my insurance rates. The fine right now for going 30 over is 220. I believe I will be paying more from the insurance in the long run if I don't fight off the points.

I was also told State-farm will waive the first ticket. Or does that not apply in this situation.

Actually no, I have not had a ticket ever in my life. I'm worried about the points because I was told any points on my record will increase my insurance rates. The fine right now for going 30 over is 220. I believe I will be paying more from the insurance in the long run if I don't fight off the points.

I was also told State-farm will waive the first ticket. Or does that not apply in this situation.
    Forget what you've been told. Points have no effect on insurance. Read all of the replies above.

As to SF forgiving the first ticket, I'm unsure.

Your insurance could be affected immediately and if not this time then the next time you get a ticket it will for sure.

Fight every ticket. Worst that will happen is the crown will lower the fine to usually $80 and no points and the best thing that could happen is the officer doesn't show and you get off all charges.

look through this site ticketcombat.com before you cough up the money.

if the ticket is 80 in 50 zone, and on the ticket it has the street written down that he caught you speeding on, and that street has a different posted speed limit...then you are in luck...but read the ticket carefully... essentially you contact the city and ask them to send you an email asking for the posted speed limit for the street as of the day you got the ticket, so make sure they say that the posted speed limit on suchandsuch street as of May 19th 2010 is whateverthespeedis...you take a few pictures of signs on the street and hand it to the prosecuter, ticket thrown out...problem solved...same thing happened to me...
    "In life there are winners and there are lugers..." - Kevin

Banned

Actually no, I have not had a ticket ever in my life. I'm worried about the points because I was told any points on my record will increase my insurance rates. The fine right now for going 30 over is 220. I believe I will be paying more form the insurance in the long run if I don't fight off the points.
    You've been told wrong. Points have absolutely no effect on insurance rates. The number of minor ticket convictions in any three year period do regardless of points being applied or not.

In any case, if your lifetime driving record is clean, you should easily be able to lower the thing down to a no points ticket by filing for a court date, then talking to the prosecutor on the morning of your court date. That will drop your fine to chump change and would be worth doing.

You could also try fighting the ticket outright, but if you lose you'll probably end up paying the full freight amount on the ticket.

I've heard that State Farm doesn't waive the first ticket. Your best bet would be to ask State Farm. In any case, the courts and MTO will not mail State Farm a bulletin announcing that you have now been convicted of speeding. It's up to State farm to request a transcript of your driving record, and the probability of that is low unless you're a new client or have just had a crash.

If your driving is generally good and you're not a habitual ticket magnet, this ticket is unlikely to cause you any grief aside from the amount of the fine you'll eventually pay.
    Last edited by turbodish; 05-19-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. I will fight this!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    If your driving is general good and you're not a habitual ticket magnet, this ticket is unlikely to cause you any grief aside from the amount of the fine you'll eventually pay.
    Also aside from the fact that you're less likely to be let off with a warning next time if you have convictions on file. Let's not forget the hundreds of speed traps set up at opportune places around the province that you could easily get nailed in again.

Again, should go without saying, fight every ticket, plead not guilty. You can change your mind when you enter the courtroom.

Was going North bound on HWY 11 last Sunday. Cars passing us by the dozens. See an OPP SUV and cop almost falls out of the friggen window to get the lazer aimed at us. Make the beast with two backsing wanker. If it really was about enforcing speed, he could have had at least a dozen cars that passed me. I guess its a lot cooler for them to say, "I pulled one of those hooligan sport bikers over. They are such a menace."

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't fight it.

If the cop shows up in court and they convict you, it is the same result as you just paying the ticket.

1) You can plea to a lower charge at first attendance if you'd like, they will knock it down.

2) You can schedule a court date. If your court date is scheduled wayyy too long (> 1 yr min.) then you might file for 11b?

3) Last resort is to show up in court and hope the officer doesn't show, if he shows, you can plea for a lower charge on the sport with the prosecutor.

Also, if you know the system and you are confident, you can build your own defense.

Personal experience:
    I was caught in a speed trap (in my car) back in May 2008. I scheuled for court, and then request a delay. In the end the officer still showed up and I plea guilty to a lower charge. Now I have been convicted in Nov 2009. Now I have the ticket on my record for the next 3 years. If I had resolved it immediately back in 2008, it would have been 1.5 years passed already. Just a thought.
    '01 SV650s
    '04 GS500
    '03 SV650s
    '07 GSX-R 600

fight it, what's the worst that could happen?

also- convictions, not points, affect your rate.

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

Thanks for all the replies. I will fight this!!
    fight it! Some companies will reward you for having a clean record should you decide to change insurance companies.

Same ticket on woodbine just south of Kingston road Sunday night. I fight all my tickets no matter what. Whats the harm in fighting it as said here worst case you pay what the ticket says.

I'm hoping cop doesn't show if he does going to try to get it down to 15 over they only care about the money anyways.
    I'm with StateFarm and i was told first ticket if you have a great driving record with them will not do anything they are looking for the guys that get them weekly,monthly etc...

Just file for court and thats that maybe I'll see you there i'm filing on Tuesday on Edwards street around 8am

ok, so I heard when I go file for a court date, there is a check box that ask you if you want the officer to be there on that date. It is a yes or no option. Is this true?

Isn't it obvious to check NO?

There's is a box saying you wish to challenge the officers evidence or something to that effect. Check yes and plead not guilty. You are allowed to change your mind at any time.

Questions:

You need to ask for disclosure. Get the details from the officer's point of view... maybe you were doing 80 kph on McNicoll Ave??

Of course, he may have made a mistake. The ticket should be -perhaps- 80 on a 60.

As well, make note that the distance between Steeles and McNicoll Ave is more than 1 km.... during that time, did he lost sight of you?? was the traffic light, or was it a busy time of the day? did he use the radar to measure your speed? etc.

Good luck
    Security transcends technology

ok, so I heard when I go file for a court date, there is a check box that ask you if you want the officer to be there on that date. It is a yes or no option. Is this true?

Isn't it obvious to check NO?
    This is the form, please review carefully

http://www.toronto.ca/court_services/forms/nia.pdf

The statement is "I intend to challenge the Provincial Offences Officer’s evidence. I request that the officer attend the trial." You must check "Yes/Oui"

If you say no, it implies that you do not challenge his evidence...
    Security transcends technology