Belfountain ... be nice! - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Belfountain ... be nice!

Re: Belfountain ... be nice!

Let's wander back on topic. Looks like shortly, and until the end of the year, there won't be any traffic through Forks of the Credit Road other than construction equipment.

How many years does it take them to get it right ... ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Let's wander back on topic. Looks like shortly, and until the end of the year, there won't be any traffic through Forks of the Credit Road other than construction equipment.

They might as well look into proper runoffs and marshaling stations
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Which is where the track marshals and other track employees come in. If your bike/car is obviously louder than "spec", it will be stand out and be noticed, then dealt with. You might even be turned in by other track users on the basis that if they have to comply with noise regs, then why should you get a free pass by subterfuge.

And even if your noise level is only slightly louder than spec, having that spec established in the first place provides a stable benchmark to which one has incentive to at least be close to even if not actually in full compliance.
    Again you wilfully miss the point. A 'standard' that does not also have a standardized method of testing, is no standard at all. It would be like officers permitting those stopped at RIDE locations to blow however hard or soft they wanted to, into the testing device.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post

As many as the wealthy home owners of Forks of the Credit Road tell them that it'll take.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Again you wilfully miss the point. A 'standard' that does not also have a standardized method of testing, is no standard at all. It would be like officers permitting those stopped at RIDE locations to blow however hard or soft they wanted to, into the testing device.
    No, YOU have missed the point. This isn't testing for the purposes of gathering evidence to support charges. This is testing in order to encourage compliance with noise restrictions at a race track facility. It does not need to be precise.

By setting a noise standard, even an imperfect one, Laguna Seca has provided both incentive and stick to force would-be track users to take noise mitigation steps. For some it may mean short-shifting and keeping away from high revs, for other it may mean complete exhaust rework.

While there will always be some who will try to circumvent Laguna's system, the net result even with an imperfect system is a track that is pretty damned quiet as far as race tracks go.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    No, YOU have missed the point. This isn't testing for the purposes of gathering evidence to support charges. This is testing in order to encourage compliance with noise restrictions at a race track facility. It does not need to be precise.

By setting a noise standard, even an imperfect one, Laguna Seca has provided both incentive and stick to force would-be track users to take noise mitigation steps. For some it may mean short-shifting and keeping away from high revs, for other it may mean complete exhaust rework.

While there will always be some who will try to circumvent Laguna's system, the net result even with an imperfect system is a track that is pretty damned quiet as far as race tracks go.
    Yes, a stick that is imperfectly and capriciously wielded, when it would be simplicity itself to create a stable testing standard.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Cottage owners 5 Km away from Calabogie Motorsports Park Have called in to complain about how loud the engine noise was that they could hear from the track.

When they were hosting a bicycle race. Seriously.

Someone will always complain, no matter what the situation is.

After the OPP came in to investigate, most of the racers agreed to take the hockey cards out of their spokes
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Torren View Post
    After the OPP came in to investigate, most of the racers agreed to take the hockey cards out of their spokes

Nice!

I've been through Forks, a couple of times in the last few weeks (first time in several years), and noticed something both times in the corner, just west of hairpin, that there was transmission fluid or light oil essentially at the apex. This is the spot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...324.84,,0,0.84

It could be from someone dumping it, or it could be from vehicles bottoming out on the hump of the corner, but it isn't run-off.

I've been through Forks, a couple of times in the last few weeks (first time in several years), and noticed something both times in the corner, just west of hairpin, that there was transmission fluid or light oil essentially at the apex. This is the spot:

It could be from someone dumping it, or it could be from vehicles bottoming out on the hump of the corner, but it isn't run-off.
    I saw that on my last ride through as well. I was planning on taking an inside line, but had to move nearly into the oncoming lane to avoid it. Mind you, I was riding two-up at a moderate pace,but none the less it was a bit of an eye opener.
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.

two of my cars are very low, and only one bottoms out at the forks...but it's on the hairpin...not the spot where you've highlighted.....just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    two of my cars are very low, and only one bottoms out at the forks...but it's on the hairpin...not the spot where you've highlighted.....just sayin
    If someone was running extremely tight to the apex, as in the inner two tires essentially off the road, then I could see a low vehicle bottoming out at the point I indicated. I just thought it rather odd to see fresh oil of some sort there on two occasions, weeks apart.

This is my first season of riding, and I noticed that on every occasion I've gone. I assumed it was from someone dumping it. Not cool. I always took the outside line to avoid it.