Ninja 250R ... Baby Steps To ... Ducati 1198S;StreetFighter;Hypermotard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninja 250R ... Baby Steps To ... Ducati 1198S;StreetFighter;Hypermotard

Ninja 250R ... Baby Steps To ... Ducati 1198S;StreetFighter;Hypermotard

Hi All!

Recently, I got the M2 from Centennital, still need to wait until end of May to officially get the M2.

I have been on the road, riding my 250R Ninja (M1 conditions of course.) I like this bike

Now, after I get the official M2, I wanna start riding on the HWY-401 Series.

From experiences as beginners to immediate to advanced, how long do you think I should ride the 250 Ninja before moving on the big boys ... such as Ducati's...?

I Went to Harley's dealer ship, near DVP & Lawrence, by Petro Can.

Looked at their pricing chart for 2010 Ducati Models, interesting and expensive.

Had a attempt at the 1100S Hypermotard & 1198 S (2009 model in showcase), 796 is not available. Can't ride it of course, but they let me sit on it.

I decided I am going to ride the 250 Ninja probably till Aug (end of season), and start with Street Fighter or 1198S.

That bike is about $30K with taxes, but it looks awesome. I can afford the bike, but insurance is whole different story.

I kind of liking the Street Fighter, quoted "S" version at $16,600+, while the regular non-S version is at 11,000+ ball park.

They all look awesome, can't decide!!!!

But of course, not taking into insurance into consideration.

let's say in April 2011, would my price of going from Ninja 250R (taking into fact, no accidents / no claims) to Ducati Street Fighter S, for example, would it be still be expensive? Or after 1 years of M2, the rates drop on any given bike?

I am not looking for quotes, but just a general figures in terms of owning Ducati in 1 years time after holding M2?

Re: Ninja 250R ... Baby Steps To ... Ducati 1198S;StreetFighter;Hypermotard

I got my M2 from Centennial too 844 APirl 23 24 i think, i just have a quote for my R6 from statefarm, since i have a car with them with a good record, i will be playing 60~70 a month for a sport 600cc when i am turning 25 in Aug. If you looking to start a new file with an INS, they probably will look at many things, Age, Bike, Record... blah blah, I still firmly believe Wawanessa and Statefarm are the cheapest ones in Ontario. Have fun and drive safe!
    Tom
    Yamaha 07 R6 Charcoal

Your insurance will be based on your bike cc, years of experience and AGE. Instead of people on the forum giving you different answers (and you won't know who to listen to) I advise you to search the insurance section of the site and call them up.

Personally I wouldn't jump from a 250cc directly to anything >650cc I like to take things one step at a time just to be safe. But then again that's just me I'm chicken s***

LOL
    You are the new richer Athif (a bit smarter, I admit)

Only wish this was in General!
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Well, I am riding the 250 now. Getting the proper feel of the bike, changing gears, etc.

I read some interesting and amusing post about the 19yrs old person looking for a 600cc bike as 1st, which in my opinion, is not good.

Then some guy rumbled about fake insurance slips, and bankruptcy, etc. LOL! ... that's all I was doing, laughing.

So, I originally thought I'll go from 250 ==> 500 ==> 600 ==> 1000 etc.

But, if I can "master" the 250, then jump to "800", which is the Hypermotard 796 ... then get the 1198 S.

with the M1 conditions, I am restricted to no road over 80 km/h. So, yea...250 is fun, more fun on when driving on the HWYs.

So, back to Ducati storyline ... is not my 1st bike, but as a 2nd bike.

Anything wrong going from 250cc to 800cc in 1 years time with experience?

Is that still too soon?

eh.... I'd still go 250 --> Inline 4 600 then pick and choose whatever you want to handle after that..... a 1198S is ALOT of bike to handle after only being on a 250....

Then again, my first bike was a 87 EX 500 that I rode for a month and 3,000KM and then upgraded to a 01 ZX6R.... and now on a 02 F4i... if I could afford the insurance I'd get a 1000, but I am gonna ride the F4i for this season, upgrade to a 2009/2010/2011 600SS next year or the year after than when I hit 25 get a 1K.
    Last edited by ScoTTY88; 05-18-2010 at 03:13 PM.

+2 for the 250-->600cc route first. I did the Ninja 250 to a CBR 600 (F4i) and it was a good jump for me. Took both to the track - even the 250 takes some skills to out ride the thing so I wouldn't just base it on street riding. Get some track time under your belt if you can, it helps IMMENSELY.

It's also not so much the engine cc size but the style and temperment of the bike. An older CBR vs. R6, even same engine size behave differently. You wouldn't want to jump from the 250 to something really twitchy and prone to "not being forgiving" if I were you. I found the F4i great for that - still a fun, fast bike but not totally wild.

Hope that helps, good luck you're doing the smart thing. Also, just be patient, the fun part is about being on two wheels, not necessarily which ones just yet.
    Kristina
    "Sorry, you are not Canada's next star racer."

Quote Originally Posted by gobu View Post
    Well, I am riding the 250 now. Getting the proper feel of the bike, changing gears, etc.

I read some interesting and amusing post about the 19yrs old person looking for a 600cc bike as 1st, which in my opinion, is not good.

Then some guy rumbled about fake insurance slips, and bankruptcy, etc. LOL! ... that's all I was doing, laughing.

So, I originally thought I'll go from 250 ==> 500 ==> 600 ==> 1000 etc.

But, if I can "master" the 250, then jump to "800", which is the Hypermotard 796 ... then get the 1198 S.

with the M1 conditions, I am restricted to no road over 80 km/h. So, yea...250 is fun, more fun on when driving on the HWYs.

Is that still too soon?
    The 796 hyper or Monster would be a nice step up. the 1198 is a lot of bike I would wait a year or 2 more. Maybe an 848 still alot of bike, but not as insane as the 1198

Is that still too soon?
    Keep in mind that '1 year' can mean different things to different people. You could spend time at a track, ride to Vancouver and back or commute daily on the same 3 roads with 50 intersections in that year and learn very different things.

I guess I'm saying you can't know when you will be ready till you feel ready, and even then you might be wrong

I went from a 2009 FZ6R, 600cc with 75 hp to 600SS with 120hp and that was a HUGE difference. going from a 35hp 250cc up to the 1198 with 170hp would be a crazy. that being said if you can control yourself you could just ride it slow, but what fun would that be.
    Saturday night is free moustache rides for the ladies, apply within

2009 Black n Orange bike with a bit of a rash
    2009 Blue and White bike SOLD

Thanks for the pointers.

I am going to be driving the 250R probably for two full seasons, May-Sep 2010 & Mar/Apr 2011 - Aug 2011.

I am going to get Street Fighter S in Aug 2011, and ride till Sep 2011, just before cold & winter weather hits.

Spring 2012, I'll Street Fighter S to do my M2 Exit to get my M.

During the riding season, I am planning long trips to Ottawa, Montreal

I know the 250 Ninja can handle HWY speeds, would anyone recommend travelling on that to Ottawa or Quebec in 4/5 hours? Or will it become discomfort for riding long time.

Baby Steps? Or is this again the cart before the horse?
    To OP:
    You bought the Ninja 250 (before taking taking your M2), just passed your M2, so forget about the whatif's, whatandwhere's and just enjoy the bike.
    You will soon enough discover what you like and what you don't like about the Ninja and what your capablities are.
    Sitting on a bike in a showroom doesn't equate to riding the bike. Affording a bike means also affording the insurance and the maintenance associated with that bike. Maybe you should talk to some Ducati riders about their bikes and their costs before just announcing a game plan because it tends not to make you sound credible.
    As for the Ottawa-Toronto-Montreal trips. No one can tell you to do it or not to do it. If you've never ridden the bike to Barrie, how can you possibly know if you can travel to Ottawa or Montreal without cramping, or panicking every time a semi windblasts your little 250. Its you doing the riding, not someone's opinion of what they could do.
    Its good to have an idea when you want to get your M, but let your experience and comfort dictate it, not a schedule.
    Less planning, more doing. The summer's short.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 05-19-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by zoomerthe1 View Post
    Baby Steps? Or is this again the cart before the horse?
    To OP:
    You bought the Ninja 250 (before taking taking your M2), just passed your M2, so forget about the whatif's, whatandwhere's and just enjoy the bike.
    You will soon enough discover what you like and what you don't like about the Ninja and what your capablities are.
    Sitting on a bike in a showroom doesn't equate to riding the bike. Affording a bike means also affording the insurance and the maintenance associated with that bike. Maybe you should talk to some Ducati riders about their bikes and their costs before just announcing a game plan because it tends not to make you sound credible.
    As for the Ottawa-Toronto-Montreal trips. No one can tell you to do it or not to do it. If you've never ridden the bike to Barrie, how can you possibly know if you can travel to Ottawa or Montreal without cramping. Its you doing the riding, not someone's opinion of what they could do.
    Its good to have an idea when you want to get your M, but let your experience and comfort dictate it, not a schedule.
    Less planning, more doing. The summer's short.
    +1...excellent post!

OP, don't bother with all of the scheduling and planning, and jumping on this bike at this time and all that crap. Focus on enjoying your time on whatever bike you're currently sitting on. Don't rush yourself into upgrades just because you want to get that super sexay motorcycle.

And I'd also advise on talking to Ducati owners to get their feedback on maintenance and costs. Maybe lurk a Ducati forum or something....but make sure you understand the context of the answers being given. Those that say "it's not that bad" may be highly proficient mechanics, or have had a couple of years of casual wrench turning under their belts. If you have no experience with high maintenance machines, I'd suggest going with a newer japanese bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Hey Flashmonkey & zoomerthe1

Thanks again for the info. Really appreciate it.

You are right, sitting in a bike thru showcase is nothing, compared to riding it.

I got pretty hang of the 250, but not hit 100 km/h due to M1 restrictions.

I know some "basic" knowledge of maintenance, but "hard-core" not as much. Plus, i don't have the necessary tools or hardwares.

I would presume, Ducati, being a expensive bike would be expensive to maintain and fix, as per scheduled maintenance. I'll follow up on that.

I just wanted to have a general idea what it is like for long trips, that's all.

Farthest I have been to date is from STC (Scarborough Town Centre) to Stoufville thru McCowan Rd & bypass.

Once I get my M2 officially status, planning to go to Brampton, Mississauga for my daily routine.

Rather take all the safety precautions then jump onto 1198 and kill myself and others.

No problem:
    Ducati's are an engineering work of art:
    Desmo engine & valve system and a dry clutch operation
    Going from your Ninja 250 to a Ducati is like taking down the "Dogs Playing Poker" print in your living room and replacing it with an original Italian masterworks painting. You might like both, they both occupy space on the wall, heck maybe the cheap one even puts a smile on your face and makes your friends laugh, but one is going require a lot more care.
    Cheers.
    Got Torque?

Thanks for the pointers.

I am going to be driving the 250R probably for two full seasons, May-Sep 2010 & Mar/Apr 2011 - Aug 2011.

I am going to get Street Fighter S in Aug 2011, and ride till Sep 2011, just before cold & winter weather hits.

Spring 2012, I'll Street Fighter S to do my M2 Exit to get my M.

During the riding season, I am planning long trips to Ottawa, Montreal

I know the 250 Ninja can handle HWY speeds, would anyone recommend travelling on that to Ottawa or Quebec in 4/5 hours? Or will it become discomfort for riding long time.
    The Street Fighter is an basically an 1198 but more extreme in some ways. The 848 would be a better choice IMHO.
    Don't listen to poeple who gripe about maintence etc. its not a big deal anymore and not much different than a jap bike.

I kind of liking the Street Fighter, quoted "S" version at $16,600+, while the regular non-S version is at 11,000+ ball park.

New Streetfighter for $11k? you sure you weren't looking at a left over monster?

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Hey Flashmonkey & zoomerthe1

Thanks again for the info. Really appreciate it.

You are right, sitting in a bike thru showcase is nothing, compared to riding it.

I got pretty hang of the 250, but not hit 100 km/h due to M1 restrictions.

I know some "basic" knowledge of maintenance, but "hard-core" not as much. Plus, i don't have the necessary tools or hardwares.

I would presume, Ducati, being a expensive bike would be expensive to maintain and fix, as per scheduled maintenance. I'll follow up on that.

I just wanted to have a general idea what it is like for long trips, that's all.

Farthest I have been to date is from STC (Scarborough Town Centre) to Stoufville thru McCowan Rd & bypass.

Once I get my M2 officially status, planning to go to Brampton, Mississauga for my daily routine.

Rather take all the safety precautions then jump onto 1198 and kill myself and others.
    Hehe you sound like me, a "planner". But the other guys are right, just take things as they come. When I started, I bought a Ninja 250 but always wanted an F4i. After a while I really fell in love with the 250, even took it to the track. I eventually got the F4i, but it just happened when I was ready, no planning. Just enjoy

As for road trips, I did a 5 day group ride to Manitoulin Island on the Ninja 250 with no problems. I frequently ride from Toronto to Huntsville (Muskoka) which is about 3hrs and it's fine. After a few hours, though, every bike becomes uncomfortable and you need to stretch your legs. The only thing about the Ninja (for me) is that it's a bit more upright so I find I need to stretch my legs more than on the CBR.

Have fun and ride safe
    Kristina
    "Sorry, you are not Canada's next star racer."

The Hypermotard will be FINE for a second bike. I started on a 800 cc monster, 77HP on my old bike, I survived. My buddy now is starting on that same bike (bought it off me) and he's doing fine. It's a tiny bit more go than an SV650. The 1198 or Street Fighter?.....those bikes will chew you up and spit you out. As for the S versions, it's mostly in better suspension. I don't think you will even notice a difference with your limited experience, no offense.

Get the 848 or an older 749 if you want a more sensible Ducati SS.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Hi All!

Recently, I got the M2 from Centennital, still need to wait until end of May to officially get the M2.

I have been on the road, riding my 250R Ninja (M1 conditions of course.) I like this bike

Now, after I get the official M2, I wanna start riding on the HWY-401 Series.

From experiences as beginners to immediate to advanced, how long do you think I should ride the 250 Ninja before moving on the big boys ... such as Ducati's...?

I Went to Harley's dealer ship, near DVP & Lawrence, by Petro Can.

Looked at their pricing chart for 2010 Ducati Models, interesting and expensive.

Had a attempt at the 1100S Hypermotard & 1198 S (2009 model in showcase), 796 is not available. Can't ride it of course, but they let me sit on it.

I decided I am going to ride the 250 Ninja probably till Aug (end of season), and start with Street Fighter or 1198S.

That bike is about $30K with taxes, but it looks awesome. I can afford the bike, but insurance is whole different story.

They all look awesome, can't decide!!!!

But of course, not taking into insurance into consideration.

let's say in April 2011, would my price of going from Ninja 250R (taking into fact, no accidents / no claims) to Ducati Street Fighter S, for example, would it be still be expensive? Or after 1 years of M2, the rates drop on any given bike?

I am not looking for quotes, but just a general figures in terms of owning Ducati in 1 years time after holding M2?

i think they quoted you wrong on the streetfighters..... get that in writing and you have yourself one hell of a deal.
    2010 Ducati Streetfighter
    2008 Ducati 1098
    2010 Ducati Monster 696 (wife's)
    2006 Ninja 636 (wife's) SOLD