Tap and Die... - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tap and Die...

Re: Tap and Die...

I've customized my stem/tripples on the race bike, but there's no way I'd ride on that. Too many parts/pieces for something that should be 1 piece. I don't have an engineering degree, but I'm pretty sure those multiple pieces, can't handle all the torsional, bending, and tension forces the original stem was designed to handle while accommodating some sort of safety factor. Been a while since I took applied mechanics and crunched any sort of #'s like that, so I'm just going on a gut/experience feeling. I'd love to be proven wrong though (just to learn something)
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Put the whole front end together without the threaded rod. All pinch bolts in place, bearing clearence to spec. Imagine it that way. Could you pull it apart? Would it twist?

It's not like the forks are going to fall off, is it?

I'm not saying ride it like that. Just presenting worst case scenerio if that rod snapped. The front end would stay on and be operational, would it not?
    Last edited by inreb; 05-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    soaked and upset

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    Put the whole front end together without the threaded rod. All pinch bolts in place, bearing clearence to spec. Imagine it that way. Could you pull it apart? Would it twist?

It's not like the forks are going to fall off, is it?

I'm not saying ride it like that. Just presenting worst case scenerio if that rod snapped. The front end would stay on and operational, would it not?
    Well that was my perspective, but everyone ganged up on me

Only problem is, if that rod lets go all at once, at 200kph, the stiffness charactistics change instantly, and maybe you'd get super headshake and get thrown off and die. Which is a legit argument I guess.

But I don't think it's gonna let go all at once, it'll crack a bit, unload the tension on the bearings, and stop cracking until you tighten it again. But thats what I said back at the beginning.... if it starts to loosen up, he has a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Well that was my perspective, but everyone ganged up on me

Only problem is, if that rod lets go all at once, at 200kph, the stiffness charactistics change instantly, and maybe you'd get super headshake and get thrown off and die. Which is a legit argument I guess.

But I don't think it's gonna let go all at once, it'll crack a bit, unload the tension on the bearings, and stop cracking until you tighten it again. But thats what I said back at the beginning.... if it starts to loosen up, he has a big problem.
    They did? I'm so busy covering my own a##(outta my league here) I didn't notice you were getting picked on

Anyway, my sense is that the situation isn't quite so dire. I'd ride it.
    Having said that, I take my bikes down to the frame every winter. Be easy to keep 6 on the stem.
    soaked and upset

Ok ladies and gents.

Even though I think the previous set up was more than fine. You can argue all you want (it seems that some don't have a grasp of how the system actually works). I did however end up spending $20 more dollars to have my FZR stem pressed into the GSXR triples and had a custom spacer made for the top triple.

Ask me why? Well it doesn't matter I'll tell you.

Suzuki wants like $40 for a stem nut. I just spent $20 at the machinist's shop and he made me a little spacer and such now I can re-use my FZR nut and you all won't worry about me dying.

Wanna know what sucks though? $50 on Zoran's custom Bearing, $46 on a tap and correct drill bit, $9 on 5/8" threaded rod, $4 on 5/8" fasteners, $15 at the machinist threading my stem, $25 on GSXR head bearings.

All I had to do was spend $20 at the machinist's place in the first place and it would have been done. At least I chalk some of that up to learning. That's what you get for listening to your welder about how much something is going to cost you when you should have just asked your machinist.

I still think the original plan was fine. But I am stubborn. Although Johnny saying he was scared for me concerned me a bit :P.

Emotionally I'm in tatters, what kick to the gut. Spent the afternoon on the couch with a cold compress on my forehead after that slugfest.
    And then I get up to see this? oy.....
    soaked and upset

Hahhah I am sorry bro. Tell ya what. When I get the bike back together I'll ride it up to Hamilton and bring some brewskies.

OK
    soaked and upset

Awesome thread! Just discovered and thoroughly read. To think what escalated from a tap and die issue. I am a bit behind but here is my two cents. Perhaps the entire front assembly is unintentionally being considered a rigid body by some, which is certainly not the case. I believe the suspension and fork tubes would absorb the majority of the forces. Considering one of the forks primary functions is to absorb impact forces. As for torsional stress, I believe the tire is also designed for impact force absorption, bending stress and torsional stress. None the less, it is better safe than sorry.