Husky SM510 or Suzuki DRZ 400SM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husky SM510 or Suzuki DRZ 400SM

Husky SM510 or Suzuki DRZ 400SM

I cannot find many direct comparisons. Does anyone here have any experiences or opinions on these 2 bikes?

Re: Husky SM510 or Suzuki DRZ 400SM

Those 2 bikes are not in the same league, that's why you won't find any comparos. What are you looking for exactly?

The 510 is an outright race bike with big power and lightest weight , but the DMZ is a lot more reliable and lower maintenance.

The earlier 510s are also not street legal for the most part.

What do you want to use the bike for?
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Her is a link to the 2009 SMR510s I am looking at. It is fully street legal.

http://www.rossrochersales.ca/rossrocher/home.aspx

I have ridden super sports for the past 20+ years as well as dirt and motocross bikes and have been looking for a SM for a while. I would commute on it and enjoy some twisty's. SM looks like it would be fun and while a big change from a SS it would still give me some ability to take it to the track on occasion if I desired to (although I would probably just rent at the track from Turn 2 anyways).

I have always assumed the Suzuki was a good choice but came across the Husky and the comments I find online about it are mostly very positive.

How much more maintenance is the Husky?

How long is your commute? How much highway do you do and how many km's a year?

I had a DRZ and would like to grab a SMR510. Husky needs oil changed and valves checked roughly every 1000km on the high end. Valve checks are supposed to be a 15-30 minutes job so no biggie really. I have read that they are tough bikes and easy to work on but it is still a race bike with lights.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    How long is your commute? How much highway do you do and how many km's a year?

I had a DRZ and would like to grab a SMR510. Husky needs oil changed and valves checked roughly every 1000km on the high end. Valve checks are supposed to be a 15-30 minutes job so no biggie really. I have read that they are tough bikes and easy to work on but it is still a race bike with lights.
    Commute is 50k each way, but I do enjoy a ride of 200-400k with stops of course on a regular basis. Valve checks every 1000k sounds like a pain but bearable. Sounds like it is a sportier bike than the DRZ. Decisions< decisions...

Based on what you said above, the 510 won't work very well. It's definitely not a commuter bike. The DRZ will be a better choice and you can take that to the track without a problem. I race with a few guys that ride DRZs.

Check out the Husky section of this forum:
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

You can probably get a more objective overview there.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum70 View Post
    I ride a 2007 TE450... very similar bike to the SM510.

I just broke the 100 hour mark, with about 3000km. So far I have not had to shim my valves ONCE. Still in spec!
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Banned

Commute is 50k each way, but I do enjoy a ride of 200-400k with stops of course on a regular basis. Valve checks every 1000k sounds like a pain but bearable. Sounds like it is a sportier bike than the DRZ. Decisions< decisions...
    What do you ride now?

Im not sure that a SM is the right bike for 400km rides!!

Quote Originally Posted by iridebikes View Post
    what do you ride now?

Im not sure that a sm is the right bike for 400km rides!!
    gsxr 1000

Her is a link to the 2009 SMR510s I am looking at. It is fully street legal.

http://www.rossrochersales.ca/rossrocher/home.aspx

I have ridden super sports for the past 20+ years as well as dirt and motocross bikes and have been looking for a SM for a while. I would commute on it and enjoy some twisty's. SM looks like it would be fun and while a big change from a SS it would still give me some ability to take it to the track on occasion if I desired to (although I would probably just rent at the track from Turn 2 anyways).

I have always assumed the Suzuki was a good choice but came across the Husky and the comments I find online about it are mostly very positive.

They sell it as a street legal bike, but it is you going to the ministry to get it done. At least that's how they explained it to me. According to them plenty of people have done it without an issue. Basically it's not OEM street legal in Canada, but you can make it street legal thanks to some paperwork loophole ..... As of 2010 they are OEM street legal.

Your body will hate you ... LOL It always sounds bearable, but it's never fun when you need to do it every weekend or two. I mean on a race bike it's ok (because I wouldn't/couldn't race every weekend), but on a bike you need to turn key everyday, it's just plain impossible for most people. Unless you have plenty of time on your hands ...

gsxr 1000
    You really need to realize that these bikes have zero wind protection (compared to what you are used to), so with the upright seating position and anything close to 100km/h you will tire out very quickly .... there's no way around it.

Anyways, I don't want to discourage you, I just want to save you time I also wasted once, before I fully realized that supermoto is great for quick but relatively short stints ....
    Last edited by mxs; 05-14-2010 at 03:12 PM.

rode a KTM 640 SM for a year - these things aren't meant to go futher than 20-30km! your behind will be in PAIN. rode to Wasaga (mostly straight side roads) and I stoped twice. Rode to Bracebridge and on the way back rode mostly standing. NOT fun on long distance.

DRZ is tame in comparison, but smoother.
    where's the wind?!

Banned

gsxr 1000
    oi, you're in for a shock.

SM just doesn't work well enough to be a primary street motorcycle. As a second bike for quick jaunts around town or at the track, sure... but for commuting and 400km rides? Not a chance in hell.

As the proud owner of both a gsxr 1000 and a drz440 (big bore and the works done to it) I completely agree with the last post(er)

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    They sell it as a street legal bike, but it is you going to the ministry to get it done. At least that's how they explained it to me. According to them plenty of people have done it without an issue. Basically it's not OEM street legal in Canada, but you can make it street legal thanks to some paperwork loophole ..... As of 2010 they are OEM street legal.

thats how it WAS MXS

when they made 2010 street legal Transport Canada retro made all 2009's as they are the same bike.

Scott at RossRocher will get it plated for you.

SM will be a fine bike - you just have to stay on top of checking valves (20 min job when you get quick at it)...and oil changes. the engine only holds just under 2L of oil vs like 4 on a normal road bike.

Husky is more power forsure - DRZ is "easier" ownership

if you want a even more road friendly bike with less maintenance look at the SM610.

there is one in the forsale section:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=116076
    Last edited by cptseawolf; 05-14-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    2009 Husqvarna TE250

I have a Aprilia Dorsoduro SM and put 16,000 kms in less than 4 months. Rode it all the way to Cabot Trail and back, several Montreal trips, and to Boston one long weekend. It has no wind protection but it does have more of a street motor (basically a shiver motor). I would stay away from a dirt bike motor if you plan on doing 400kms a day. Way too much maintenance.
    10 BMW S1000RR Motorsport Team colors, 09 Aprilia Dorsoduro Black sold, 05 Yamaha R1 Black left in Montreal, 00 Yamaha R6 left in Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by cptseawolf View Post
    thats how it WAS MXS

when they made 2010 street legal Transport Canada retro made all 2009's as they are the same bike.

Scott at RossRocher will get it plated for you.
    Thanks cpt I didn't know they issued a retro OEM street legal papers. That's good, so it is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    I ride a 2007 TE450... very similar bike to the SM510.

I just broke the 100 hour mark, with about 3000km. So far I have not had to shim my valves ONCE. Still in spec!

^^found this confusing, aren't the valves adjusted with a little "tappet screw" and locking nut, not "shims"??

510 has fuel injection and dual exhaust,
    big++ in my book compared to the suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by Megomaniac View Post
    ^^found this confusing, aren't the valves adjusted with a little "tappet screw" and locking nut, not "shims"??
    Can't speak for newer years, but for 2007 my TE450 shares the same shop manual as the SM510, and shims are used to adjust valves.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka