Question for those who've broken their clavicle - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who've broken their clavicle

Re: Question for those who've broken their clavicle

Broke mine in a downhill mountain biking accident. Didn't get surgery, it healed rather quickly, but I do have a bump.

Doesn't bother me at all, in any way possible.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

My bf broke his in a crash in Maine last year, he rode for two more days to get home,then went to hospital. He has a bump there but I don't know if he has any mobility issues,he would never say,damn dirt bikers!!

Yes, I had insurance, but all they would do is immobilize it anyway, he refused medical attention at the scene.
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Father broke his playing hockey about a year or two ago. He just used a sling and it seemed to heal up fine within a few months but now when he's in the pool you constantly hear "clicking" underwater as he swims around because something is still not quite right there.

I was amazed when I went to the ER after smoking a curb, unable to walk, the doctor didn't even give me an x-ray. I sat there for 7 hours for them to give me a tetanus shot and send me on my way. I also got ******* at by the doctor for not answering his questions properly when he was talking to me while I was asleep (nurse told me I could go to sleep if I wanted to). Wasn't a good time. Now I've got this weird lump sticking out of my ankle still which I got x-rayed but it was "normal", never got around to getting the ultrasound done.
    Last edited by unL33T; 05-14-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Did mine when i was 22 wow 18 years flew by! but i broke it skiing trying to do moguls with downhill skis. Didn't end well flew about 120 feet in air and it snapped.

Being a Diabetic they said it would be better for the sling as the surgery would take 2 times as long to heal and good chance of infection. I have a bump but no pain and never stopped me or limited me after it healed and even went to work with sling on just rested arm on cash register at work and did everything one handed and slept at kitchen table with arms resting on table and sitting up.
    Yea i was young and stupid now i'm older!

Yup, joined the club almost a year ago trying to see how far I could slide on Bayview. Broke in 3 places, wasn't in a ton of pain more uncomfortbale from being able to feel things moving that aren't supposed to move. No surgery and just waited it out but I have full range of motion and a slight bump now (there goes my modeling career).
    2009 CBR600RR
    2007 ZZR 600 (written off)

Broke mine on a cold trackday in october. Was slinged up and sent home told it would heal fine in 4 to 6 weeks +/-. Went back in after 3 months cuz i knew something wasn't right. Had a mal-formed union 29mm overlap. Lots of discomfort sleeping, walking with just the weight of the arm unsupported, loss of strength and motion. Was recommended for surgery right away and booked several times which kept getting bumped and rescheduled because it wasn't considered a high priority case so it was a year and 4 months from the original break to have it fixed. One plate and 10 screws and it is much better than pre-surgery but not as good as pre-break. There was an instant relief as soon as the surgery was done - it felt properly connected again. Still bothers me a bit, but doesn't stop me from doing anything. The one thing that seems to vary widely is the recovery time from person to person. Some people have a quick almost painfree recovery and with others it is fairly long. Mine took quite a long time to fully recover even with physio, but they told me that would be the case.

I broke my collarbone in 3 places, a butterfly fracture, back in 2006. I was riding my bicycle and was hit by a car that ran a red.

I wore a sling for a few months and sat at home like a vegetable doing nothing. It healed up pretty good, and I don't have any restricted range of motion that I can notice.

I still get pains every now and then, when doing awkward stretching or some gym exercises, but they aren't bad at all and I barely notice them since I've gotten so used to the injury.

In my case everything turned out good and I didn't need surgery, and I'm glad I didn't as it's not exactly a simple area to operate on.
    Night Rod Special

Well, I just came back from the fracture clinic and was extremely surprised how quick the Dr. Viellette mentioned surgery. I guess it's becoming more
    and more common these days. He said I could have the surgery done as soon as 2 weeks from today. I asked him to give me a few days to think about it. A bit of a hard decision for me. Besides the obvious complications with surgery
    I would also have to deal with a scar. How bad did everyone's scar turn out? He mentioned it wouldn't be to bad at all. I guess I'd be trading a bump for a scar. The thing I found funny was that there was a bunch of students in the room with us. When he went around the room they all mentioned they would opt for surgery...pretty funny. If you guys have anymore insight post up. Thanks again for all of those who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by BMC View Post
    Well, I just came back from the fracture clinic and was extremely surprised how quick the Dr. Viellette mentioned surgery. I guess it's becoming more
    and more common these days. He said I could have the surgery done as soon as 2 weeks from today. I asked him to give me a few days to think about it. A bit of a hard decision for me. Besides the obvious complications with surgery
    I would also have to deal with a scar. How bad did everyone's scar turn out? He mentioned it wouldn't be to bad at all. I guess I'd be trading a bump for a scar. The thing I found funny was that there was a bunch of students in the room with us. When he went around the room they all mentioned they would opt for surgery...pretty funny. If you guys have anymore insight post up. Thanks again for all of those who replied.
    My scar isn't that big.

2 weeks? Really? My surgery was scheduled 32 hours after my consult with the ortho surgeon at Joe Brant in Burlington.

Did mine 10 years ago mountain biking... crazy eight sling for weeks = pain!
    Did you know it only takes ten pounds of pressure to break a clavical...

the scar will be about as long as the plate is, but they usually make the incision right along the edge of the clavicle itself, so the scar is usually hardly noticeable. The bump from the broken clavicle you'll have without surgery can be either slightly noticeable, or very noticeable. given the amount of overlap in the ends of your break, i'd say it would probably be noticeable to anyone looking.

the scar's a non-issue, really.

if I were you, i'd go for the surgery, but as you know, the decision is ultimately your's.

good luck.

~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

My scar is pretty noticeable, but it's fading. It's the smallest issue of them all. I'd rather have a badge of honor than a less than functional limb
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    My scar is pretty noticeable, but it's fading. It's the smallest issue of them all. I'd rather have a badge of honor than a less than functional limb
    +1

BMC, if you're worried about the scar, use vitamin E cream, it will help the scar to less and less noticeable.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Witch hazel oil is also great for scar prevention, but I didn't bother with it.. Just went apeshit with Vaseline.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

cover scars with tattoos: WIN!

I have busted my right one twice. When I was 2 and when I was 15. The first time was a simple break (fell out of bed). The second time someone slashed me in hockey. This one was much more serious. The bones completely separated and overlapped one another. The doctor "fixed" it by having me hold onto the gurney with my good arm and then tried to pull it back into place. That was the most painful thing that has ever happened to me (I guess I am lucky). It never healed correctly and now have a bump where I can feel the end of the bone. Fortunately, it hasn't caused any lasting movement or use issues. The healing was awful. I had to spend the first week flat on my back with a figure 8 pulling my shoulders into place. I then spent about 8 weeks wearing the figure 8 and the sling.

If you ask me, if it is ant thing other than a clean break that sets itself properly go for the surgery.
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith

2007 BMW K1200S (silver/blue/black) (gone)
    2005 BMW R1200RT (gone)
    2002 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic (gone)

I would also have to deal with a scar.
    I only notice mine when I'm brushing my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post

2 weeks? Really? My surgery was scheduled 32 hours after my consult with the ortho surgeon at Joe Brant in Burlington.
    He told me he would have done mine that afternoon, but there was a kid on a gurney with a broken wrist he had to do, and "you're a tough motorcycle rider. You can wait till tomorrow, can't you? Be here at 8:30"
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

When mine broke I probably should have had surgury. Took forever to heal then I promptly broke it again. Still aches regularly. Do what they suggest.

I havent broken my Clavicle, but I did scratch my violin when I was younger.
    Seriously though I have never broken a single bone, I always land on my head.

any updates from the o.p. ? did u go through with surgery ? how are u feeling today?

i broke my right collar bone on april 20 mountain biking. was a middle break. also was sent to toronto western fracture clinic. doc didn't recommend surgery (dr. gandhi). wore a sling for 2 weeks. it has now been about 4.5 weeks... i have full rotational movement back to my shoulder/arm. still some slight pain over where the break is though depending on movement and obviously i need to rebuild strength in the region. my weakest movement right now is lifting my arm forward and up.

i have a slight bump where the break took place but it doesn't look bad/barely noticeable. i can tell the bones are fusing on an angle though just by feeling around my clavicle from my neck up... oh well.

i was told that bones should start to grab within 2 weeks and get total radial fusion 6-10 weeks later (if this isn't occuring... u definitely need surgery). this differs from person to person... and takes much longer in adults. (kids are usually up in 4 weeks !)

doctor was impressed with how fast i was healing... my next check-up is in july and i just started physio this week. right now i'm on stretching and movement... and start of june i am to begin strength training again. everything seems to be going great with me right now. still have yellow/black bruising around my front right shoulder though.

a lot of people here seem to recommend surgery.. don't know if it is the best course or not... i didn't opt for it (went with doc's recommendation.. i mean.. he's the doc right ?!)... feel pretty damn good right now... and it's great to know i won't set-off any metal detectors in my future.

just want to end with... getting old sucks...
    Last edited by giddyup69; 05-20-2010 at 08:56 AM.