ducati hypermotard 796 - Insurance - - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ducati hypermotard 796 - Insurance -

Re: ducati hypermotard 796 - Insurance -

Echelon via Rider's Choice does not black list all Ducati's. Not sure where the hypermotard falls.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

StateFarm will rape you until you turn 25 and then it will become affordable.

Although if they tell you your rate will change the month after you turn 25 if you owe them any money due to the way they calculate and charge your premium from month to month it may not actually go down that much until a few months later.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

TD MM surcharges sportbikes, pretty sure the they consider the hyper as such. I am in the same boat as you, I have spent so much time trying to find insurance for under 3grand but if your in the gta and under 25 and want a sportbike thats what we have to pay. Pretty much your choices are statefarm or ride something that isn't considered "sport" untill you turn 25, check out vifferfuns flowchart in the insurance section.

You quickly realize that Insurance companies have very little knowledge of bikes in general. I have an air cooled 2 banger Monster, with about 100 RWHP. Insurance companies see the Duc wings and its time to pay up. I argued with my broker that its not a sports bike and he just laughed. The Hypermotard 796 should not be classified as one either. Prolly 75 HP at the wheel. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and buy a VStrom or similar.
    I am with SF, which turned out to be the best for me. I am in my 40's though.
    Last edited by Mark Duc; 05-14-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Kick a duc on it's side and get an estimate to repair.Now do the same to an SV650.That's the difference.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

The Hypermotard 796 is a awesome bike, but at averaging 800cc is pretty expensive to insure.

Does anyone actually have this bike?

My friend and I are going to Iconic World to check out the 1100 version of this type.

I wonder how much the 1100S is of the same version, Hypermotard to insurance.

I did a online quote thru TD MM, I was quoted $9980.00. Without any discount or part of being a group they recongnize.

2009 1100S insured with Primmum is $1300,full coverage.But i'm 57 years young.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by gobu View Post
    The Hypermotard 796 is a awesome bike, but at averaging 800cc is pretty expensive to insure.

Does anyone actually have this bike?

My friend and I are going to Iconic World to check out the 1100 version of this type.

I wonder how much the 1100S is of the same version, Hypermotard to insurance.

I did a online quote thru TD MM, I was quoted $9980.00. Without any discount or part of being a group they recongnize.
    Is this going to be your first bike? You will probably get laughed off this board even though I started on a 800cc ducati bike as well with similar power specs to the hyper. lol

If you can afford a "nice" bike for your first but still don't want anything insane I say take the KTM 690 suggestion (though check insurance on that as well). Also, the Triumph Street Triple 675 might be a decent choice (not classed as SS) too along with a few other bikes.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

This is going to be my 2nd bike, first one is the 250 Ninja.

In that case I would ride the 250 until you turn 25
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Went to Harley's dealer ship, near DVP & Lawrence, by Petro Can.

Looked at their pricing chart for 2010 Ducati Models, interesting and expensive.

Had a attempt at the 1100S Hypermotard & 1198 S (2009 model in showcase), 796 is not available.

I decided I am going to ride the 250 Ninja probably till Aug (end of season), and start with 1198S next year spring.

That bike is about $30K with taxes, but it looks awesome.

I kind of liking the Street Fighter, quoted "S" version at $16,600+, while the regular non-S version is at 11,000+ ball park.

They all look awesome, can't decide!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gobu View Post
    I decided I am going to ride the 250 Ninja probably till Aug (end of season), and start with 1198S next year spring.

A smart move that will pay large dividends (in savings).

Do you have a car insured? You might qualify as an occasional driver if you do. I think it really depends if you're going to use the bike to go to and from work or school.

Quote Originally Posted by promac View Post
    A smart move that will pay large dividends (in savings).

Do you have a car insured? You might qualify as an occasional driver if you do. I think it really depends if you're going to use the bike to go to and from work or school.
    How is he an occasional operator of his own bike? This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you ride your bike to work/school.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I can't get discount with RBC Insurance as they required M License. I got everything with them, plus they would give me additional 25% off if I insure the Ducati with them.

With one year experience with M2, my rates will be dropped, but I should keep riding the 250 for atleast 2 seasons, which is what recommended by the RBC Insurance guy.

With no claims or tickets in Spring 2012 (after I get my full M license, in accordance with RBC Insurance), full insurance for 1198S or StreetFighter or Hypermotard 796/1100 / S or non S version, it's averaging about $195.00-$245.00 per month.