UPS Brokerage fees

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPS Brokerage fees

UPS Brokerage fees

old news - UPS is no good for getting stuff shipped from the states.

I had problems in the past with buying stuff off ebay or stores in the states and getting it shipped via UPS. But i bought a transponder from mylaps.com and they only ship via UPS so i figured i'd just get it anyways, how bad could it be? $120 brokerage...

i'll admit i'm not an international shipping expert, but what costs them that much, or i should say, how can they justify charging that much? how come fedex, purolator etc don't charge a brokerage fee? do i have any options in paying it?

So just a warning for people getting stuff shipped from the states, exercise caution if using UPS.

Re: UPS Brokerage fees

Simple. I just refuse to accept any package delivered by UPS. Tell UPS to ship it back to the sender and demand USPS shipping. If a store does not ship USPS, look elsewhere!
    BTW, I don't know about Purolator, but Fedex do charge brokerage fee!

^ doesn't hurt to phone them to complain. I bet they lower it but it'll still be too much.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

If you can not get whatever you want shipped any other way than UPS then get it shipped to an american address like CBI, then go and pick it up.http://www.cbiusa.com/Location.htm
    Usually its free shipping within the U.S.A.
    You,ve learned your lesson the hard way,Like I did years ago, never ,never get anything shipped to Canada with UPS.
    Last edited by macrider; 05-11-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    If you can not get whatever you want shipped any other way than UPS then get it shipped to an american address like CBI, then go and pick it up.http://www.cbiusa.com/Location.htm
    Usually its free shipping within the U.S.A.
    You,ve learned your lesson the hard way,Like I did years ago, never ,never get anything shipped to Canada with UPS.
    ^^^ +1. Just picked up my new exhaust from CBI this morning. Saved on shipping, brokerage (they shipped UPS only), duty and tax's. Payed $5.95 to CBI, $3.25 boarder crossing fee + gas ~$25. I figured out I'd saved > $150 ($40 shipping + $60 brokerage + $90 tax's).

Refuse the package, go pick it up and the depot and broker it you self. Save the $$$

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...rokerage-fees/

shipping usps is usually best as even their cheapest service includes the brokerage with the shipping cost, though they're sometimes not an option depending on what you are shipping. if you have to ship via fedex, ship anything other than ground as all their other services include brokerage...as for ups i really don't know which of their services include brokerage, if any. You'll still need to pay tax on any items that have $ value.

there's also CBI and usaddressinc, ive used the latter, quite good in my experience. The thing is that you need to purchase enough $ wise in order to justify driving down there, not only that, but with how their service works, its most economical to purchase everything at once so you aren't continuously paying for them to store random stuff over time.
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

Quote Originally Posted by 005 View Post
    old news - UPS is no good for getting stuff shipped from the states.

I had problems in the past with buying stuff off ebay or stores in the states and getting it shipped via UPS. But i bought a transponder from mylaps.com and they only ship via UPS so i figured i'd just get it anyways, how bad could it be? $120 brokerage...

i'll admit i'm not an international shipping expert, but what costs them that much, or i should say, how can they justify charging that much? how come fedex, purolator etc don't charge a brokerage fee? do i have any options in paying it?

So just a warning for people getting stuff shipped from the states, exercise caution if using UPS.
    no, actually what you got charged with is taxes + duties + brokerage fees
    the first 2 you would paid with USPS as well
    brokerage fees are not THAT bad

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by georgy View Post
    no, actually what you got charged with is taxes + duties + brokerage fees
    the first 2 you would paid with USPS as well
    brokerage fees are not THAT bad

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

I'm inclined to disagree. I have a close friend works for Fedex Ground, who was also a shipping broker. He insists that mail is the only way to go. The sheer volume of packages that are shipped mail, prohibits Canada Post from checking and applying duty and taxes to every package. Apparently they just select packages at random to check for duty and taxes, but the vast majority goes through unchecked. Fedex, UPS etc. etc. are required to broker every package, so no matter what, you get nailed. I now follow his advice. I buy alot of stuff on eBay, and I insist it is shipped mail. Only about 1 in 10 gets nailed for duty and taxes. Also. I include a threat to "return to sender/negative feedback" in my paypal note.

I may even start using one of those US address places. Anyone have any experience with them?
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

Few years back I bought some parts on ebay. I ended up paying three times the original amount by the time parts for to my door, thanks to brokerage fees. Never again. UPS is a company of tomorrow. How can you charge so much to fill out one page. You don't even need any education for that. I would understand the fees if to become a broker you would need phd.
    http://www.arcadius.ca/

1964 Junak M10, 2000 Bandit 1200

Quote Originally Posted by arekzjawin View Post
    Few years back I bought some parts on ebay. I ended up paying three times the original amount by the time parts for to my door, thanks to brokerage fees. Never again. UPS is a company of tomorrow. How can you charge so much to fill out one page. You don't even need any education for that. I would understand the fees if to become a broker you would need phd.
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
    i don't think anyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTY88 View Post
    Refuse the package, go pick it up and the depot and broker it you self. Save the $$$
    is that possible?

i've never heard of the CBI stuff before - thanks for the info!

brokers clear goods for customs purposes.

ever good has a traffic code and.

if you use any of the world ship services brokerage is included. taxes not so much.
    x

how does usaddressinc or cbi exactly work? i just put their address on the check out and they'll let me know when it gets there? and what are their rates like? is one better/cheaper than the other? anything else that i should be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by bzd View Post
    how does usaddressinc or cbi exactly work? i just put their address on the check out and they'll let me know when it gets there? and what are their rates like? is one better/cheaper than the other? anything else that i should be aware of?
    for usaddressinc, you email them, tell them you want an "account" or something...put a distinctive name in order to identify your packages properly so that "john do" cant claim your packages. Once you've done that, you're free to send packages to their address marked with your name. They'll leave it lying in their warehouse until you go pick the package up.

You can use their service on a per package basisackages cost 5 dollars USD once they arrive, $2 every week thereafter for storage. So if you decided to pick your package up on the third week, it should cost $9.

YOu can also use their service on a flat rate basis where you get as many packages you want for a monthly rate or something....never used this service before so i can't really comment on it. www.usaddressinc.com.

Theyre also seconds away from the border, extremely convenient.

US Address in Niagara Falls NY is the one I use.

Very convenient, only a few minutes from the border, and only about a 40 minute drive from where i work.

$5 per package, and big boxes like track bodywork are still just $5. I usually try and buy a few things at a time and go down there to pick them up all at once. I declare everything at the border and pay the tax, even then the savings on shipping and brokerage fees are well worth it. Not to mention i fill up my Edge with gas while i'm down there.

Quote Originally Posted by arekzjawin View Post
    This happened to me as well a couple of years ago. I think UPS has lowered their fees for <$20CAD goods. I bought a small item for $15. The brokerage fees and other UPS charges amounted to $35. Add Canuck taxes and I regretted my purchase.

USPS is a postal service and has a bilateral agreement with Canada Post to not charge brokerage fees. This is why they are usually cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Recidivist View Post
    Also. I include a threat to "return to sender/negative feedback" in my paypal note.
    PS: Doing this can get your ebay account closed. Plus alot of big sellers talk to one another and you're probably on quite a few BBLs already.