Suzuki Savage won't start! Help! - Newbie

Thread: Suzuki Savage won't start! Help! - Newbie

Suzuki Savage won't start! Help! - Newbie

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Suzuki Savage 650 that had been running with no problems. It's been sitting in the garage for about two weeks. I've started it at least 3 times a week and there was no problem but when I went to start it couple days ago, it won't. The battery seems fine, everything lights up and the ignition works. There's definitely gas in the tank and it's not old. After searching a bit, I am afraid I may have 'flooded' the engine, due to not using the choke properly. Some threads say I must clean the spark plugs and some say to open the throttle completely and then turn it on to get rid of excess fuel. Some say not to do anything at all if you suspect it is flooded because it may damage the engine. It definitely smells like gas when I try to start it and sometimes it sounds like it's almost about to start. Also, after trying for a while repetitively, I got a clicking noise.

Any ideas? I don't even know how I would be able to take it to a mechanic if I can't fix it myself. This is my first bike and I don't completely understand the intricacies of starting an engine.

Thank you!

Re: Suzuki Savage won't start! Help! - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by eriver View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Suzuki Savage 650 that had been running with no problems. It's been sitting in the garage for about two weeks. I've started it at least 3 times a week and there was no problem but when I went to start it couple days ago, it won't. The battery seems fine, everything lights up and the ignition works. There's definitely gas in the tank and it's not old. After searching a bit, I am afraid I may have 'flooded' the engine, due to not using the choke properly. Some threads say I must clean the spark plugs and some say to open the throttle completely and then turn it on to get rid of excess fuel. Some say not to do anything at all if you suspect it is flooded because it may damage the engine. It definitely smells like gas when I try to start it and sometimes it sounds like it's almost about to start. Also, after trying for a while repetitively, I got a clicking noise.

Any ideas? I don't even know how I would be able to take it to a mechanic if I can't fix it myself. This is my first bike and I don't completely understand the intricacies of starting an engine.

Thank you!
    Is the engine turning over when you hit the start button? If you're smellin' gas then it's likely flooded. Remove the spark plugs and dry them out. Make sure there is a spark comin' from them by pluggin' 'em in and grounding them on the engine or somewhere else, click the starter a couple times to see a good spark, not a little bit of a spark, but a good one.

Do you have a factory service manual for the motorcycle as it seems you would like to work on it yourself.

I don't even know how I would be able to take it to a mechanic if I can't fix it myself. This is my first bike and I don't completely understand the intricacies of starting an engine.

Sounds like you flooded it. Now you've tried it so much that the battery is going down. If you can't take the plugs out, with time it should dry by itself. In the meantime get yourself a small battery charger at Canadian Tire or a battery tender type device at a motorcycle shop. Follow the instructions.

Like you said, the bike was running fine before. 99.9% everything will be good with a freshened battery.

Edit: engines shouldn't be started for short periods of time like you described. When they don't get up to temp. fully they get condensation inside. Better to get a battery tender to maintain charge.
    Last edited by inreb; 05-10-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks for the responses guys. It all sounds really helpful.

How about open the throttle fully and then trying to turn it on? Will that get rid of the gas and possibly solve the problem? I've read that it creates some 'vacuum' condition and only injects air in the motor, unflooding it.

I think cleaning the spark plug sounds like it would do it, but in order to reach them in this bike I have to remove the gas tank. Is that a big undertaking for someone who has never played with a motorcycle before? Should I just let it sit for a couple of days?

Thanks for the responses guys. It all sounds really helpful.

How about open the throttle fully and then trying to turn it on? Will that get rid of the gas and possibly solve the problem? I've read that it creates some 'vacuum' condition and only injects air in the motor, unflooding it.

I think cleaning the spark plug sounds like it would do it, but in order to reach them in this bike I have to remove the gas tank. Is that a big undertaking for someone who has never played with a motorcycle before? Should I just let it sit for a couple of days?
    You have a "CV" type carburater. Holding it open won't open it unless the engine is already running. With the plugs in, the starter motor will be under stress because of the compression. I wouldn't just keep cranking it.

If you decide to remove the plugs: blow some compressed air around the plug cavity to clear out any debris that might fall into the engine when the plug is out.

Taking the tank off is one of the easier tasks to perform on a bike. Just pay attention how it comes apart, then do the reverse on in stall. Obvious, I know

Where are you located?

I'm in Toronto, at College and Dufferin.

I'm in Toronto, at College and Dufferin.
    To far away, sorry.

No worries. I'll see if I can get help around here in case I can't get it to work. Thanks a lot!

i got the exactly same problem with my honda shadow 2001
    iam gona check the plugs they are hard to take out for sure under the gass tank one speacialy..
    but some one told me if thr is smell of gass in the Engine oil .it means ur engine is flooded change engine oil filter and 4 spark plugs bike must start after that ..i cant do it cuz dont have parts waiting to get it done from some one hope it works .. do u smell the gassoline in your bike ?

So I tried popping the clutch today. It worked, got the bike going. The problem is that it stalls as soon as I close the throttle. I tried to keep it running since some said that that might 'clear' the engine and it'd be like nothing happened. It runs with the choke pulled open about 1/2 way, any more or less than that and it stalls. Ugh. The battery is fully dead now, so I am gonna got get a charger. Ideas?

new battery would be a good idea