Best Cruiser - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Cruiser

Re: Best Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by YamaMana View Post
    Certainly not to function in the role as a long-haul cruiser, but the 1200 is a great bike for the $$$. Compare the pricing for an 1100 Japanese against a 1200 harley. You'd be surprised to find they are about the same. As for whether the 1200 is cruisable, well that's another story but for a coffee run within an hour - it's vibration perfection!

The 2004 and up are rubber mounted abit with more weight. The larger fuel tank on the Custom model extends the range too.

IMO, if you're moving from a sport bike to a cruiser, the Sportster does a nice job. I'm a former Ninja 600 owner.

But, I do live with a smallish tank and rigid mount. So, it does vibrate sometimes but, you just have to find the sweet spot and run with it.

No complaints and plenty of fun.

With my limited saddle time in a 1200 i found it to be perfect for what it is. A friends girlfriend has a '97 with tidbits of chrome upgrades here and there with the screaming eagle package. Rolling artwork with the sound of thunder.

As to whether i'd take one to PEI, well .... maybe on a trailer
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Thank you all for you input. I am leaning towards the V Star 1100 over the Mean Streak. It's time for a test ride to settle it.

Kind regards,

Gerard

Being that you are used to a powerful sport bike you may want to check out the Suzuki M109 or M90 . These bikes are power cruisers that handle well for a cruiser. Yamaha make a decent power cruiser to , The Warrior I think and of course you have your Harley V Rods .
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

What ever you do, don't get one of these.... I know you would hate it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mid-right.jpg  
    Lets Ride

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    What ever you do, don't get one of these.... I know you would hate it.

My Bro has one in black- He Loves it!!

Quote Originally Posted by INTRUDERJOE View Post
    My Bro has one in black- He Loves it!!
    Theres a big meet for 9 owners on Sunday Afternoon, he should come by and see the nicely modded bikes! msg me for details if interested
    Lets Ride

Quote Originally Posted by hammersfan View Post
    Being that you are used to a powerful sport bike you may want to check out the Suzuki M109 or M90 . These bikes are power cruisers that handle well for a cruiser. Yamaha make a decent power cruiser to , The Warrior I think and of course you have your Harley V Rods .
    Baby steps, baby steps... first I would like to find out if I like the bulk and riding position. If I can last the summer, I will be on the hunt for something special next summer.

Kind regards,

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    Theres a big meet for 9 owners on Sunday Afternoon, he should come by and see the nicely modded bikes! msg me for details if interested
    He's actually out of town on business until next Tuesday. I should steel his bike for the weekend and go. The only problem is he would shoot me when he got back!!
    Thanks for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by INTRUDERJOE View Post
    He's actually out of town on business until next Tuesday. I should steel his bike for the weekend and go. The only problem is he would shoot me when he got back!!
    Thanks for the offer though.
    Please post some pics if you can- would love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercat View Post
    Thoughts on reliability and maintenance from more experience riders will help make my decision.
    Well - if you want reliability I recommend limiting your choices to those cruisers which have fuel-injection and a shaft-drive. As to the maintenance issue, Honda and Suzuki make bikes that you rarely, if ever, hear anyone complain about... Now, as to your budget of 5-6k, I think you might actually be looking at going down in displacement from your 1000... perhaps a 50ci Boulevard, or a Shadow 750... these bikes handle very well, and have plenty of torque/hp for a single season...

One thing to keep in mind, regarding the 50ci Boulevards: some consider them to be geared for the city, not the highway... I've had my C50 up to 140 and it still had headroom though. If you're buying used many a 50ci Boulevard will already be modified with the rear-end of a 90ci which eliminates that issue, by stretching out the gear range somewhat.

The new Shadow has fuel injection, shaft drive, integrated ABS brakes, sounds great, rides great, looks great... If I didn't already have a couple bikes I'd have that one on my 'A' list.
    bike
    1st bike: 1982 Yamaha XS 400 Seca
    current bike: 2001 Devinci Caribou M
    current bike: Suzuki VL800SEK7 red/black

Hi All,

I am looking to trade/sell my 01 GSXR 1000 for a cruiser and wanted to know which one is the best in the 5-6k price range. I'm still riding the 1000 so I'm not sure what to expect moving to a cruiser. Thoughts on reliability and maintenance from more experience riders will help make my decision. I like the Mean Streak 1500 and the V Star 1100 but have read posts about the starter being an issue.

Your comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Gerard
    I'd go with the Honda Magna VF750C or the Yamaha VMAX 1200
    Red '94 Honda VF750C Magna
    Black '02 Suzuki LS650 Savage - Sold

Any thoughts on the honda vtx 1300c.

thanks

Gerard

V-Rod.

Air-cooled Harleys.

Old school Magna.

Victory.

Triumph.

Any Jap cruiser.
    Night Rod Special

Any thoughts on the honda vtx 1300c.

thanks

Gerard
    It's a good bike, you can find one for dirt cheap in the US. Good on gas, decent power, and they still have carbed engines I believe. I'd definitely choose the 1300 cc over Honda's 1800 VTX version as that one is pretty bad on gas.
    Night Rod Special

Any thoughts on the honda vtx 1300c.Gerard
    Know someone who has one. Nice bike, heavier than it should be and as a result the general consensus is underpowered. It still though is rather nimble (similar to say a C50). Conversely, the 1800 may have enough power but it is a tank (nee Roadstar, Boulevard 1500). Nice long-haul cruisers the latter 3.

Heard good things about your previously mentioned Meanstreak. A couple guys i sled with have them and swear by them. I of course gave top marks earlier to the V-Star 1100 with the added benefit of lower insurance. Its a lighter bike (not a light bike) with good power to weight ratio. Won't of course be a GSX1000 but it's a nice combo of flickability & grunt.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I've got an 05 Vstar 1100, and am quite partial to it, but it's not perfect.

Out of the box, the thing needs more power. It's a high revving Vtwin; at 100km/hr, it hums. 110, it sings, 120, sings really loud, 130, it screams like its balls are in a vice. First few times I rode the thing on the highway, I thought the engine was going to blow up. But you do get used to it.

Most people replace the intake with a pod kit, replace the exhaust, and tune the jetting. That can get you upwards of high 60s hp. You can get more, but you'd be swapping out the cams.

The engine is bullet proof, with ceramic coated cylinder walls -- can't go wrong with the reliability.

If there's one thing I'd make my chief complaint, it's that compared to other cruisers I've ridden, it handles like a pig at slow speeds.

Having said all that, great bike for the money.

BUT if you want something that's a bit smoother of a ride, I've ridden the 1300 and it's dead smooth. Like lazy boy on a sunday afternoon smooth.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

You want a high revving bike to complain about, try a C50. You are right about the star1100, but it'll climb to 170 (or so i've heard ) so there's plenty left at normal highway speed. I did do a K&N + cobra slip-ons. A perfect setup at 110.

I don't know whether you had the classic, but the floorboards for me were a pain in the parking lot more than anything else (the custom has pegs).
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax