First track day experience. Racer5 May 6th. Lots of pics lots of words

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First track day experience. Racer5 May 6th. Lots of pics lots of words

First track day experience. Racer5 May 6th. Lots of pics lots of words

I took the plunge to do my first track day. I think this will be worthwhile to write about since there are many of us that would like to hear read up on what happens on a track day and what the experience is from a first timer. I did have my ups and downs.

My bike: 2002 Yamaha R6
    Tires: Used Michelin Pilot 2CT street tires

The track day was held by Racer5 and details can be found in their thread.

As a first timer I was a little bit nervous. I don't have much seat time on a bike at all. I've probably ridden less than 2000 km's in my entire life. Most of that was done an a Suzuki GS500 and some on my old bike I had 5 years ago. So with so little experience and being new to the community I was a nervous. Of course then I arrived at the track bright and early almost at 7am when gates just opened. Not knowing where people park I drove over to where there Racer5 flags where and spoke to one of the organizers. I told them it was my first time and they told me to set up close by as I'd be needing help so I did that.

It was freezing cold in the morning by the way, 10 degrees plus massive windchill and big clouds. Probably was 4 or 5 degrees. I set up right by the food concession hut. Not long after another person came and parked by me and we chatted for a bit. Really friendly guy, a seasoned racer/track day-er so naturally I tried to follow his steps for the morning.

My spot:

Friendly guy beside me

Next was tech, this was a big down for me as my bike did not pass tech and I was sort of freaking out in my mind. My chain was too tight and my throttle cable would stick. I had no extra cable (no one did) and I didn't have the tools to adjust the chain slack. No worries though as the Racer5 guys took care of me. In 10 min I was at tech again and passed no problem. Big relief. Got my free suspension set up and that went pretty smooth.

Before I knew it that was 2 hours gone, bunch of truck arrived and I was even getting a more intimidated by these massive trailers with racing stickers, tents etc.
    Didnt' think about it too much, took some pictures instead. First session already started for the expert group, they didn't go out cause it was freezing cold. Intermediate went and bunch of bikes went out. Took more pics. Then my group.

Around the pits:

First session intermediate action shots:

Prior to this some beginner guys like me took a ride in a car around the track while a Racer5 guy showed us the lines, he also gave us tips on riding technique. In my first session, a different Racer5 guy took us out and showed us the lines on his bike and eventually let us pass him and do our ride. It was a good ride, but it was so cold my nose was running. Not the most delicious hydrating method.

After the first session, the Racer5 guy who took me out in the car immediately came over to ask us how it was, what our concerns were and then gave us pointers. I told him it as more tiring than I thought. He told me to loosen up, don't strangle the bars cause you're pushing down on them. Feel loose over the bike and the bike will will feel agile. At this point I made a few pit mates and was talking a lot to a few guys between sessions. Good fun and everyone was very friendly.

Second session out I put the advice to use. 100x better. I was not tired at all, the bike felt much better. Right after the session the same Racer5 guy came to us and asked us how it was. It shows these guys really care. I was very impressed. Fawaz, the organizer also came by to ask me how it was going as he knew it was my first time as well. This made everything very relaxed and welcoming. It was very good on the organizers. You are not left out in the cold (no pun intended) at all at a Racer5 day.

Fawaz checking up on us beginners: (me on the left)

Before the third session I voiced a concern I had to my pit mate. My toe would scrape the ground some times. He told me that was a big no no as I'm leaning the bike over more than my body. Told me to get half my ***** off the bike, centre the edge of the windscreen with my chest and turn in that way.

Third session went out, 100x better again. I had an off, I went into turn 2 too hot but tried to stick it. At the very last moment i stood it up, if I kept turning i would have been turning in the grass. I stood it up and i was already going slow enough, tapped the rear brake and stopped. No falling. Phew! Bike was flowing through corners and the track felt more rhythmic. Everything was getting exponentially better. I felt faster, more comfortable, basically no fatigue at all. This is all thanks to the advice of various guys.
    Fawaz again came to see some of us beginner guys and asked us our progress and again asked how we were doing. This is some service right here. Not even a 5 star hotel would do this I believe. Fawaz as the head organizer really puts a personal touch and he really cares how the new guys are doing. This was really impressive.

In the fourth session I had a instructor do a one on one with me. I followed him for 2 or 3 laps and he followed me for about 3 or 4 laps. When following he would increase his speed each lap. I kept up, it's good way to increase your confidence. When following I just did my usual routine around the track. He saw enough and he went out first. When I was done he was waiting for me at the exit! We chatted for quite a bit, gave some pointers. Very friendly and informative.

Me following my instructor: (Pedro Sousa)

Video of me following my instructor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nco_dDOmGE

5th session I just tried to put what I learned to use and decided to push a bit. That wasn't so great. It was my worst session and I low sided on turn 3. It was slow and no injuries. No damage to the bike except a broken turn signal.

6th Session i think this was the last official session for us. I decided to just work on technique and not worry about pushing it as I had 2 offs already and just crashed. This ended up being my quickest session all day. I think all beginners should just really focus on technique and what people teach you. When focusing on technqiue you naturally are faster. You don't have to think about being faster, you will get faster. As long as you put the advice to use. Even after the 6th session I wasn't tired and this was thanks to advice from my 1st session.

Last turn frame by frame of me:

The last session was an open session where all groups would be on the track together. I did about 4 or 5 laps and my last lap ended up being my quickest all day.

Another great thing is they set up beacons for lap timing and it was free. I dont' think this happens every time though, not sure. It is the same lap timing style as they use in SOAR races so I got lap time recorded from my second session to my last.

My lap fastest time in my 2nd session was 1:42:XXX, probably much higher in my first session, probably in the 50's. By the end of the day, my best time was a 1:28:XXX. I had over 20 seconds of improvement throughout the day and few guys told me it was impressive. I didn't know what the times meant but I definitely felt the improvement and learned so much.

At the beginning I was scared, cold, nervous, hardly turning. By the end of it I was laughing, scraping knees, joking with new people, getting feedback, giving feedback. It was great.

One of my pit mates being a joker:

I hope all new guys can read this and feel much more comfortable to do their first track day. Everyone is very friendly and very professional. Don't think twice. Just do it, you will have the best time of your life (at least I did).

Last of all, big thanks to the following guys.

Fawaz - (organizer of Racer5) for putting on a great show, checking up on me and new guys constantly throughout the day to make sure we're doing good. Made the day very enjoyable and comfortable.
    Mike Bevan - (Instructor) for fixing my bike to pass tech and giving me the advice to relax, loosen up over the bike and not kill grip the handle bars.
    Johnny Spinelli - (Instructor) for giving us a ride in the car and the tip and technique advice
    Pedro Sousa - (Instructor and Suspension guy) for setting up my suspension, twice! (he did mid day changes as I progressed) and also doing the one on one instruction with me.
    And all the mates I talked with throughout the day.

Mixed action pictures, if anyone wants high res version PM me and I can email them to you. Shooting those expert guys was hard, they are so damn fast.

Once again, all in all fantastic day.
    Last edited by Jia; 05-08-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Re: First track day experience. Racer5 May 6th. Lots of pics lots of words

Glad to hear you had a good day (even with the lowside).

Just need to find out how to get those pics from that RACER5 photographer so I can look at my pretty self!

Nice pics, nice write up.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Yeah me and inferno were talking about how much all of you riders in green improved during the day. Huge gains between the morning and afternoon.

Really nice write up. Racer5 had Tim Duquette doing photography when I was there in April. His username on here is infinitedimentia http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/member.php?u=22042 . If it was Tim he will need a PM with your bike make and colour and colour of your leathers.

Racer5 seem to be doing a good job. Long may it continue.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Definitely saw your lines improve through Turn2, 3, 4 and 5. I was quite surprised at how quick some riders from the beginner group were getting by the end of the day.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Really nice write up. Racer5 had Tim Duquette doing photography when I was there in April. His username on here is infinitedimentia http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/member.php?u=22042 . If it was Tim he will need a PM with your bike make and colour and colour of your leathers.

Racer5 seem to be doing a good job. Long may it continue.
    Thanks Fiery, emailed him, hope to get some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    Nice pics, nice write up.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Yeah me and inferno were talking about how much all of you riders in green improved during the day. Huge gains between the morning and afternoon.
    Yea there was another guy on a Triumph in the green group that was really flying, in the beginning lapping the rest of us twice. But by the end of it I think the rest of us weren't getting lapped anymore. He was our reference point heh (he was mine at least)

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno636 View Post
    Definitely saw your lines improve through Turn2, 3, 4 and 5. I was quite surprised at how quick some riders from the beginner group were getting by the end of the day.
    That's good to hear, which bike were you out there?

Glad you had an awesome time! now your hooked..you got some great shots of me too.

Thanks, Matt.

Great write up!

I'd love to do this myself, but... I know my wallet wouldn't appreciate it, and no telling me I don't have to spend doesn't work +)

Had you done any track school or anything before? I've been considering going to one of the track schools where you ride their bike before I risk my own...

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    Great write up!

I'd love to do this myself, but... I know my wallet wouldn't appreciate it, and no telling me I don't have to spend doesn't work +)

Had you done any track school or anything before? I've been considering going to one of the track schools where you ride their bike before I risk my own...
    $90 bucks prepaid, your wallet will appreciate it!

I didn't do any schools or anything prior to this. I wanted to but I was too impatient. I will be doing a school soon though.

I understand not wanting to risk your bike, but on your first day as long as you ride in your own comfort zone your likely hood of falling is slim. I was pushing it that time I fell and I shouldn't have been being it my first time and all.

Great pics!

Yeah i definately want to say Kudos to the green group .. you guys stepped it up bigtime in the afternoon sessions.

Great day put on by Racer 5, and glad to see Fawaz asking us continously if he could do anything for us to make our day better.
    Thanks again to Mike B for running some laps with me. I wasnt putting down the best times yesterday ...
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    $90 bucks prepaid, your wallet will appreciate it!
    Thats just for the one day! let alone, trailers, tents, ramps, suspension, getting hooked so you need to do it a couple of times a month, then its new tires, leathers... and on and on... i so wanna do it.

Mebbe next yr... get the current bike paid for and then park a track bike next to it mebbe.. may need a lotta luck hiding another bike in the garage!

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Nice write-up, yesterday was awesome. See you at the next one.
    "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

2006 R6 Raven

Quote Originally Posted by dragonium25 View Post
    So you made it yesterday? got the rad fixed ... should of come over and said Hi!
    www.thetoyhauler.ca

Thanks, you were on the camo R6? If so then for sure see you at the next one man, it was great fun yesterday. Too bad couldn't snap any pics of our group.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    So you made it yesterday? got the rad fixed ... should of come over and said Hi!
    Yeah, found a place that fixed it in a coupla hours. I was surprised they could do it so fast and they even repainted it for me.

I wanted to come by but I got caught up with a bunch of other things. First my tires wouldn't pass tech and I thought my day was shot cuz I didn't bring another set. Luckily Donnie had a set that he let me have for a great price and helped me swap them too. Totally saved my day, thanks again Donnie. Then I missed the suspension set-up cuz I was getting my tires swapped. Spent the whole morning sessions just learning the track and my bike again and talking to the instructors which was really helpful. Next thing I know it's lunch time and well...Umbrella girls (nuff said). Finally got my suspension done after lunch (thanks to Pedro, who also came out and showed me some lines) and had to spend another session getting used to the new set-up. Spent some more time talking to Fawaz who gave us a bunch of tips to try.

I did try to come by later in the afternoon but I wasn't sure which bike you were or what group you were in. I was in beginner with the white/camo R6. Hopefully I'll catch you on the next track day.
    "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

2006 R6 Raven

great write up! thanks for the pic's.

track is very, very addictive...
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Damn, I am sooooooo tempted. Already started scouting kijiji for trailers. lol Worst case scenario I will do the last Thursday of August track day but hopefully I can do one before that.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Yeah, found a place that fixed it in a coupla hours. I was surprised they could do it so fast and they even repainted it for me.

I wanted to come by but I got caught up with a bunch of other things. First my tires wouldn't pass tech and I thought my day was shot cuz I didn't bring another set. Luckily Donnie had a set that he let me have for a great price and helped me swap them too. Totally saved my day, thanks again Donnie. Then I missed the suspension set-up cuz I was getting my tires swapped. Spent the whole morning sessions just learning the track and my bike again and talking to the instructors which was really helpful. Next thing I know it's lunch time and well...Umbrella girls (nuff said). Finally got my suspension done after lunch (thanks to Pedro, who also came out and showed me some lines) and had to spend another session getting used to the new set-up. Spent some more time talking to Fawaz who gave us a bunch of tips to try.

I did try to come by later in the afternoon but I wasn't sure which bike you were or what group you were in. I was in beginner with the white/camo R6. Hopefully I'll catch you on the next track day.
    Cool. glad to hear you could make it out ...

My bike is the white/black RR with my ToyHauler trailer in the background .. lol ..
    www.thetoyhauler.ca