HF trailer Review/Advise. - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HF trailer Review/Advise.

Re: HF trailer Review/Advise.

I had a track day last week end where I used the Harbor Freight trailer for the first time, worked like a champ, rock steady.

You'll notice also the $40 wheel chock and the fold out ramp $100 which is now only 2 wide.

Everything worked out so well.

My reasoning for this little trailer is simply for it's space saving and double duty capabilities.

I also bought the steel side panels that bolt on and I can haul all kinds of stuff in it.

After all I have put on, I guess the total cost is close to $600 plus and one may say, I could have bought one locally, but I could not find one that takes up as little as 2 feet in my garage to haul a bike to the track and garbage to the dump.

I guess they should rename this trailer to the "foldable track and dump trailer".

It's a great buy, and yes it was declared as trailer parts and I even brought the ownership document to the license bureau and they were so confused with it they gave me a plate regardless.

Have you finished yours? Remember to take out and re-grease your bearings before going on a long trip.
    Last edited by Dino Z; 07-24-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Current bikes:

If anyones got the box it comes in around, think you can quickly measure it? Trying to figure if this thing will fit in my civic with the rear seats thrown down before I make the trip to buffalo.

Site specs say:
    Length- 62.0 in
    Width - 12.5 in
    Height-6.8 in

Could that be right for package dimensions?
    Last edited by nightrider; 06-04-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Picked mine up today and had no issues crossing the boarder....actually it was easier to cross as we had some other stuff the wife picked up and they weren't even interested...just wanted the taxes on the auto parts???? I stated twice they were trailer parts but no difference....I also purchased the motorcycle wheel chock and the 3rd wheel for the front of the trailer, was looking for a spare tire but they had no stock...the only mistake I made was having them place it all on the same bill as with the extra stuff it came to over $400.00...so I ended up paying $60.00 in tax and not the $50.00 everyone else does...no biggy, and since I am modifying the trailer I didn't even lie or distort anything when I told them I was using that parts....worked out great...and for the money I think it's hard to beat.

Oh and to answer about the box sizes...they will fit in a civic...there are 2 boxes and one is about 12" X 8" X 5' long and the other is 12" X 30" X 30" approximate...if that helps....

Quote Originally Posted by Trekie2 View Post
    Oh and to answer about the box sizes...they will fit in a civic...there are 2 boxes and one is about 12" X 8" X 5' long and the other is 12" X 30" X 30" approximate...if that helps....
    Sweet! Thanks. Buffalo here we come!

If anyone is going down and has room to pick up an extra trailer "kit" please let me know. We can work something out and I could split the fuel costs? Let me know.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    If anyone is going down and has room to pick up an extra trailer "kit" please let me know. We can work something out and I could split the fuel costs? Let me know.
    check your pm

I live near Burlington and zip down to Niagara Falls NY every so often. If someone is willing to cover my gas n stuff i'd be able to pick up a few trailer kits.

I've been wanting to pick up that trailer. I live about 2 miles from that Harbour freight store. Test the trailer out and post some feedback. I've been borrowing a 15ft enclosed for awhile but it is too much for me to carry just one bike around

Missed nightrider trip down. If there's anyone around the Toronto area going to pick one up please e-mail ryanmerrill (at) rogers (dot) com.

If not I will head down next week and get one for myself
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

Frekeyguy, can the trailer you bought fit 2 bikes?

I am going to set me up for 2 bikes. Its a little narrow but I figure a little u-channel to widen the tie down location would work nicely.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR

Be sure to repack the bearings with half decent grease before going an a long trip. It's well known that the grease in most new trailers is not much better than vaseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    I am going to set me up for 2 bikes. Its a little narrow but I figure a little u-channel to widen the tie down location would work nicely.
    I think it will work fine, I have seen a great set-up where 1 bike is chocked in the front wheel and the other is chocked on the back wheel, looked aces.
    Current bikes:

Anyone going down to pick up a trailer? If so, I'm hoping someone could pick one up for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    Anyone going down to pick up a trailer? If so, I'm hoping someone could pick one up for me as well.
    Probably going down tomorrow am to pick up my trailer parts with my golf. If (a big if) I can jam in a second one is anybody interested?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Probably going down tomorrow am to pick up my trailer parts with my golf. If (a big if) I can jam in a second one is anybody interested?
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=120560

Where are you located and when are you going down? I need to go on the 7th, because I'll be picking up some packages as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=120560

Where are you located and when are you going down? I need to go on the 7th, because I'll be picking up some packages as well.
    I thought that other thread existed, but was having trouble finding it. I am near Pearson, likely heading down tomorrow morning (heading out around 06:00) and my Canada day project will be assembling it. Like I say though, I only have a Golf and I have no idea how big these boxes are.

The biggest box is 5ft. long, so you can recline the passenger seat and fit it there. The other one can be tossed in the trunk.
    There's no sense in making two trips, so I'll have to pass on tomorrow.

Has anyone had any trouble with the hitch coupler? Mine keeps jamming and slides out a bit to the point where the mouth of it gets too small and won't fit the hitch ball. Usually ends up with me having to tap it back with a hammer till the ball can slide in. Had to tap it back and yank the hell out of it when removing it from the ball yesterday as well...

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Has anyone had any trouble with the hitch coupler? Mine keeps jamming and slides out a bit to the point where the mouth of it gets too small and won't fit the hitch ball. Usually ends up with me having to tap it back with a hammer till the ball can slide in. Had to tap it back and yank the hell out of it when removing it from the ball yesterday as well...
    Yup, had the same problem...took the small inner tongue out and worked it (read bashed with a hammer) to get it to work and seems fine. BUT one question I am interested in knowing and can't seem to find an answer is do people lub or grease up the coupler and ball (god I can see were this is going on this site). The trailer hitch ball seems a little scored from the coupler and am wondering if this is normal.