project bike - semi long story

Thread: project bike - semi long story

project bike - semi long story

This might belong in the tech section but thought I'd run this by the cruiser crowd.

Background...
    I've been riding a Ninja 250r for the last year and I'm looking to move up a bit in power but change the riding style to something a little more laid back. Most of my riding is for commuting and late night cruising to relax before bed time. Not much highway.

The plan...
    I'm really liking the HD Sportster 883. I'm looking for a used mid 90s Sportster for around $4000-$5000 and do some work on it over the winter to customize it the way I want it. The only things I don't want to do work on, are the motor and frame. Most of the used Sportsters in the $4000-$5000 range have rebuilt motors. This brings me to my question.

The question...
    Can you trust a rebuilt motor? How can you tell if the motor is sound (rebuilt correctly)?

I'll porbably have a pile of q's to post in the technical section over the winter.

Thanks

Re: project bike - semi long story

mid 90's sportster with a rebuilt motor.... vs brand new.. probably find the former less problematic +)

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

How much is a new 883? Unless you're getting the project really cheap why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    mid 90's sportster with a rebuilt motor.... vs brand new.. probably find the former less problematic +)

Ya, for sure. The problem is cash flow.

New goes for $9.5K. Then taxes and all the BS charges brings it to around $11K? Then I still have to customize.

A couple of years old goes for around $7-$9K + customization = around $9-$10K.

If I can find an oldy but goody. I can be all in with customization for $7.5-$8K.

But I'll likely have to bite the bullet and look for a newer used bike and spend the xtra cash. Was hoping to hear about any tell-tale signs of a bad rebuild. And I was assuming that a rebuilt motor is equal to an engine that's only a couple of years old (not sure what goes into a rebuild).
    Last edited by jah_rydah; 05-01-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Mr J, you must not be looking hard enough.
    There are so many cheap sportsters for sale, i wish i had an extra 5k!

Here's my buying tips.
    It must be a 94 and up sporty, but i prefer 96 up myself.
    You do not need to buy anything high mileage, i see tons of them like new, less than 10k on it, usually owned by women that lost interest.

McDuff sold his gf's 05 sportster with 4400kms on it, for 6600$.

You should easily find a 2000-01-02 for 5k in awesome shape, stored in a garage somewhere.

I only looked on CL for 3mins and saw these>
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/mcy/1718145617.html
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/mcy/1717042697.html
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1711861625.html

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    There are so many cheap sportsters for sale, i wish i had an extra 5k!

You should easily find a 2000-01-02 for 5k in awesome shape.

I only looked on CL for 3mins and saw these>
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/mcy/1718145617.html
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/mcy/1717042697.html
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1711861625.html

Feel free to ask me any questions.

I am guilty of not looking on CL. I stopped going to that site years ago because I can't stand having to click on every post to see pics. I did check Kijiji, Trader, and dealer sites. I haven't seen anything 2000 or newer for under $6K. Even the two you posted under $6K were pre 2000.

But as I originally posted. I was looking for a mid 90s bike because I wanted to spend $4.5-$5K. After mods, I'd be at around $7K.

However, If a rebuilt motor is not a good gamble. I'll just wait a little longer and save a few more bucks and get a newer $6.5-$7K bike. The mods aren't a problem because I'd be doing them bit-by-bit over time. It's the original purchase price I have to save for.

I'll be keeping an eye out for that early 2000 ride for $5K though.

Thanks for the input.

A spanky new 883 is $7k. Now with lots of people not working prices have dropped. HD is hurting, so it should be less. The issue with HD is that riders believe their bikes do not depreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by jah_rydah View Post
    The only things I don't want to do work on, are the motor and frame.
    I probably wouldn't buy anything rebuilt, or even that old, if you don't want to touch the engine...

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    A spanky new 883 is $7k.
    Where the hell are you finding a brand new 883 for 7k?
    Last edited by joelsephstalin; 05-02-2010 at 02:09 AM.

2010 883 msrp is only $8300..

So can likely get one for closer to $7k.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by joelsephstalin View Post
    ...Where the hell are you finding a brand new 883 for 7k?
    Last year I test rode a Sportster at Davies. MSRP was $7k. Probably not out the door.

The Sportster Low is $8.3K new. The Iron is $9.3K new. I'm not a huge fan of chrome so one of my mods was to black out most of the chrome bits (engine, wheels, bars, other odd bits).

If I was going to buy new. I'd get the Iron so I wouldn't have to black all those bits out.

The Sportster Low is $8.3K new. The Iron is $9.3K new. I'm not a huge fan of chrome so one of my mods was to black out most of the chrome bits (engine, wheels, bars, other odd bits).

If I was going to buy new. I'd get the Iron so I wouldn't have to black all those bits out.
    When I bought my used Sportie the UVIP showed that it changed hands about every year or two. I don't know if this is common for the little HD but it is an entry level bike and people move on. There should be lots around.

As someone posted, HD owners may still think their bikes are recession proof. You might be surprised at what used ones really go for.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    When I bought my used Sportie the UVIP showed that it changed hands about every year or two. I don't know if this is common for the little HD but it is an entry level bike and people move on.
    Yup, Sporties are the EX500s of Harley.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

IBut as I originally posted. I was looking for a mid 90s bike because I wanted to spend $4.5-$5K. After mods, I'd be at around $7K.
    What you'll find is that for every $1 of "mods" you put in to the bike you will get about $0.20 on the dollar back in re-sale if you are lucky!

IMO, you should increase your budget and find one WITH all the items you are looking for so you can make the best of your budget...

BTW, here's a blacked out one that came on Kijiji recently, I think it's what you are looking for.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ202302596