taking the m2 course - motorcycle riding safety gear

Thread: taking the m2 course - motorcycle riding safety gear

taking the m2 course - motorcycle riding safety gear

i plan to take the m2 course/test in the next few weeks but i do not have any motorcycle gear. the training institute requires a helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots. this things are pricey and i reckon that after i pass the test i won't be needing much of this gear other than the helmet -i live in the gta, i plan to ride in and around the city; so a casual rider.

are there any places from which i can rent this gear? or are there any places from where i can buy used gear? or should buy all this gear from a store and get it over with? what do you m2/m holders recommend?
    basically, what is the most financial efficient way to pass this m2 test?

thank you

Re: taking the m2 course - motorcycle riding safety gear

Parker Bros rents helmets....not sure about the rest of the gear.

http://www.powersports.ca/

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Hmmmmmm, maybe a friend can lend it too you?

For casual riding i suggest you at least get a leather jacket + helmet, and maybe gloves.

You can just use garden gloves and some work boots that cover your ankle for the M1 Exit Test

Considering gear as part of the bike it isn't that pricey. Depending on the course you should be fine with work boots that cover the ankles, and heavy denim jeans that are not motorcycle specific, that just leaves a jacket and gloves not legally required.

Gloves are pretty important, not a nice place for road-rash at all, and a jacket can be stylish enough to be worn when your not riding so just shuffle that onto the fashion budget and call it a day.

Contrary to what you may think, once you go through the course and hit the street you will need all the gear, or at least you should be wearing the gear as this is when you will be the most inexperienced and vulnerable.

There is no such thing as a casual rider. Anytime you ride you need protection....the best you can afford. Statistically, most accidents happen closest to home and within the first or last 15 minutes or so of the ride.

A good quality well fitting helmet is an absolute must followed by a leather or textile jacket with armour. Good well fitting gloves and boots are also extremely important as your hands and feet can easily get injured in a slide down the asphalt or an impact. Pants with armour in the knee and hips also should be considered as many injuries occur to the legs. Even riding down a city street you can get a chunk of gravel to the knee or shin and that can be like getting shot with a bullet.

To take the course at least get yourself the best helmet you can afford and you can pick up slightly used ones on Kijiji and E-bay if money is tight. You can use a denim jacket and jeans, industrial type leather work gloves and lace up work boots too to keep down the cost. Once you do make it to the street you really should invest in good gear and again you can save money by buying slightly used. All of my 5 jackets and 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of boots and at least 3 helmets were bought from E-bay or Kijiji at substantial savings.

Riding, especially on city streets can be really dangerous so do yourself a favour and always wear gear...even on the short trips.

Good luck with the course.
    Cheers,
    spyug
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

People always complain how expensive gear is. Sure - if you're a fashion queen.
    I picked up leather jackets from $30-100. Gloves from $10-30. Etc.
    Some used, some new online. I mainly use newenough.com. Kijiji can be your friend, ebay, there's a section here as well. Check local shops, they have sales too.

You can buy a full set of gear helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, maybe even pants for $300-400 easy.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I had one season of riding under my belt on a 1981 XS400 with drum brakes front and back. Last year, I picked up a 2004 SV. I was leaving my house to go get it safetied when a minivan waiting to turn left across my lane didn't want to wait to turn into a plaza in my neighbourhood. As soon as the car in front of me passed him, he turned left, right in front of me. Being a newb and severely lacking experience, I grabbed the front brake (much stronger dual disc brakes), locked up the front wheel and slid 30 feet down the road - and I was only going 40 km/h.

Without the proper gear, my right shoulder would have needed a skin transplant. Because I was wearing the gear, even during a "casual" ride, I walked away unharmed. The bike, after bouncing off the minivan, was totaled.

Always dress for the slide, not the ride. It can happen anywhere, anytime. Without experience, you're going to overreact.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    People always complain how expensive gear is. Sure - if you're a fashion queen.
    I picked up leather jackets from $30-100. Gloves from $10-30. Etc.
    Some used, some new online. I mainly use newenough.com. Kijiji can be your friend, ebay, there's a section here as well. Check local shops, they have sales too.

You can buy a full set of gear helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, maybe even pants for $300-400 easy.
    Would be hard pressed to get all that in leather for under 500 =)
    Especially if you want some good quality to go along with the gear...but 500-600 is a good limit for a full set of good gear used/online

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

I got all the gear I needed for under $200. Joe Rocket textile jacket & gloves from kijiji for $90, Joe Rocket boots for $30, and a Zox Helmet from Royal at the tent sale last weekend for $60 (which iirc is still on until tomorrow). The boots I'm not real crazy about, but they were cheap and will do just fine for the MSF, everything else tho is pretty nice.
    Last edited by kamikaze; 05-01-2010 at 09:56 AM.