I need a new front tire

Thread: I need a new front tire

I need a new front tire

So, I figure I'm going to order a new front Tire from Petes and save a few bucks. I've never shopped for a tire before. Could anyone provide a few recomendations for a cruiser? Tire size is 80/90x21, tubeless.

Obviously, I'm concerned with handling but I would also like something that will last as long as possible.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

Re: I need a new front tire

Get a matching front.

What kinda rear tire do you have?

Buy it from pete's, and take it to heritage auto, i think he is downtown too. $35/ tire change, for rim on the bike.

I'd help you out, but im not setup for cruiser work.

Thanks man. I have a Pirelli Route 66" rear. Does it matter if it doesnt match? I dont think Pete's has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post
    Thanks man. I have a Pirelli Route 66" rear. Does it matter if it doesnt match? I dont think Pete's has them.
    I'm thinking of going with the Pirelli MT66 as my next tire pair (front and back). What's your opinion of them?

i only ever buy metzler tires now. they have saved my life too many times to even look anywhere else.
    Last edited by roadhamr; 08-22-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

There is a Dunlop (D404) for pretty cheap, which I'm pretty sure what is on there now. $79.00. I'm not reading great reviews though. They dont seem to last too long.

The Metzler 880's seem to not perform so well in the rain from what I'm reading.

I'm thinking The Michelin Commanders. Anyone have any opinions on these?

Also, can someone please confirm for me this a tubeless. I've never done this before, so I dont want to make a mistake and get the wrong sort of tire.

Re: the Route 66 rear. I've had no problems with it. It seems to handle well, and I've never had any issues with it in the rain. It was pricey though, ended up paying like $340 or something installed at the shop.

Just ordered shinko 230 tourmasters for my cruiser. Heard good things and very reasonable. I dont put a lot of miles on the bike and will change out the tire regardless every few yrs. Ordered them from motorcyclesuperstore.com Picking them up at my mailbox in U.S this week hopefully and then getting them installed. Will report how they are once a few miles are logged.

get matching tires. every tire has a certain profile. if your front doesn't match your rear it will comprise handling. its manageable, but it won't feel quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post
    There is a Dunlop (D404) for pretty cheap, which I'm pretty sure what is on there now. $79.00. I'm not reading great reviews though. They dont seem to last too long.

The Metzler 880's seem to not perform so well in the rain from what I'm reading.

I'm thinking The Michelin Commanders. Anyone have any opinions on these?

Also, can someone please confirm for me this a tubeless. I've never done this before, so I dont want to make a mistake and get the wrong sort of tire.

Re: the Route 66 rear. I've had no problems with it. It seems to handle well, and I've never had any issues with it in the rain. It was pricey though, ended up paying like $340 or something installed at the shop.
    the rain handling and performance is why you buy metzlers. where are you reading bad reviews? i have read nothing but good ones and i have them on my valkyrie interstate which is notorious for being hard on tires and they are doing very well. not sure where you are getting your info from but i have heard just the opposite.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

I've been rocking the Pirelli on the back and the Dunlop on the front for about 10,000 k, in all sorts of weather, and I've had no problems at all, so I'm not overly concerned. When I'm in a position to replace both at the same time I will. For now though, there is about a 10,000 k lag between my front and back. I've looked but I cant seem to find the MT66 for a decent price in Canada.

I may just buy another Dunlop and be done with it.
    Last edited by Buddhacide; 04-27-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    the rain handling and performance is why you buy metzlers. where are you reading bad reviews? i have read nothing but good ones and i have them on my valkyrie interstate which is notorious for being hard on tires and they are doing very well. not sure where you are getting your info from but i have heard just the opposite.
    Yo. Various forums, and whatever google brought up. The attitude isnt universal, but from what Ive read alot of users imply they generally sacrifice traction for durability.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/arch...p/t-80549.html

http://motorcycletirereviews.com/25-1-marathon880.html

Agree about the traction for durability stance.
    I've run the Metzler Marathon's on two bikes and can confirm from my experience that they are a great tire for long lasting wear and a mediocre tire for wet traction. In a straight line they are fine, but if you like to push your bike on curvy roads and in the rain sometimes, something else may be better suited. That said, the 880's get really long life, are a great cruiser tire for the person that just cruises or does a lot of highway mileage and seem to be a popular choice on the Vulcan.

I have run different Metzler's on my other bikes and they have all been great tires. Sorry I don't have any more info on what is best for your bike though. I really liked the M3's and currently run the Tourances.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

If you have a Vulcan 900 custom, the tires are tubeless. The front will take a 90/90/21 instead of the super skinny 80/90/21. Rides much better with the larger size.

K