Try my bike now or wait till after the course? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Try my bike now or wait till after the course?

Re: Try my bike now or wait till after the course?

Glad to hear you survived.

Good thing this didn't happen to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779gjqwLOAo

On that note, try to be patient for the course.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post

Or this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiFtlvVKKec

But at least these guys brought a friend with a video camera!

And don't take another passenger until you've had toooons of practice or else -> http://www.break.com/index/motorcycl...t-go-well.html

Quote Originally Posted by _eug_ View Post
    I have my motorcycle sitting in the garage just waiting to be tested. Yesterday I picked up all the gear but my course is not until May 7th. It is getting very difficult to wait.

The thing is that I have never operated a motorcycle in my life. So other then reading the M1 and watching some videos, I am clueless. Non of my friends ride either.

I know I should wait till after I get some practice on the training bikes which I can drop and not care about but this is getting very hard.

Anyone in Vaughan who wouldnt mind teaching a noob a thing or two?

now that's self control, if it were me the bike would not even have made it into the garage to begin with! If you bought a brand new bike you might wanna wait until after the M2. like some of the others have said, if you drop your brand new bike you're gunna be ****** at yourself for not waiting. on the other hand the experience will help you pass the M2 so if it's a used bike you may wanna hit a parking lot.

enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post

On that note, try to be patient for the course.
    Thanks so much for sharing that! LMAO!

I'll agree with most everyone on here, and wait until you finish your course or until a very experienced friend shows you the ropes in the parking lot. One damaged fairing could cost more than the course.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Unfortunately my patient wore thin. I purchased an insurance policy and have been riding every single evening for 1 hour since saturday. I am really enjoying riding around my subdivision and in the industrial area that is accessible by side streets. I have not taken any major streets yet, but I think that I will do it on saturday morning when I have to drive to my part time work which is only 10 min away. So far I am super thrilled with riding, it makes me look forward to my course even more so that I can learn safety maneuvers such as swerving and emergency breaking (I really hope they teach this).

Watch your following distance and your speed.

You're invisible out there, so struggling with the controls while the car ahead decides not to go through the yellow light ahead is not a good idea.

Be safe.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Unfortunately my patient wore thin. I purchased an insurance policy and have been riding every single evening for 1 hour since saturday. I am really enjoying riding around my subdivision and in the industrial area that is accessible by side streets. I have not taken any major streets yet, but I think that I will do it on saturday morning when I have to drive to my part time work which is only 10 min away. So far I am super thrilled with riding, it makes me look forward to my course even more so that I can learn safety maneuvers such as swerving and emergency breaking (I really hope they teach this).
    Just don't wind up as a patient with your impatience. Riding for one hour around a subdivision and parking lots must be pretty boring. I'm sure if you had made a callout someone from the forum would have given some assistance & a few learner exercises. Also, if you don't know how to emergency brake or haven't practiced it, you really shouldn't be out in any traffic. Period. Any riding at this point should be to get a feel for controlling the machine, like the other poster said, stuff like clutch contol, up & down shifting, braking. Forget the "swerving" for now---& pls stay out of traffic.
    Got Torque?

Learn in a parking lot..ask a bud to ride it there for you..u will learn in a matter of minutes. goodluck.

So have you shifted out of first gear yet?

My wife and a cousin did the course last week and both of them agreed that it would really help if they had some prior experience. They felt they didn't get enough time to practice and grasp the concepts (clutch control, turning, braking techniques etc.) Good thing to practice a bit before the course, but don't get carried away.

+1 on the parking lot. You'll learn more initially if you're concentrating on the basic techniques without worrying about cars pulling out and running you over or you loosing control and flying into something. Ride safe.
    Last edited by ZimZima; 04-28-2010 at 04:20 PM.

I finished the course yesterday. It was actually very helptful that I learned to ride my motorcycle myself before going into the course. I had put 550 km on the bike before going into the course. Doing the course allowed the instructors to see what errors I was making and keep correcting me until I made those new ways a habit.

The course really focues on slow speed manuvers. I was using a dirt bike, Honda CRF 150f. It was really fun to ride, but I thought that what I learned on it would not transfer over to my ninja. I was wrong. I rode the bike to work this morning and I felt much better on the ninja, specificly going really slow in traffic and red lights.

I am happy that I took the course, and I suggest that others take it as well.

Well done!

I saw the result of a person who was riding too fast for a corner, fixated on a barrier and applied too much brake on a dirty surface. The result was bent forks and collateral damage above a thousand dollars parts and labour.

A combination of speed, lack of skill and poor judgement.
    I'd caution new riders to play it safe and stick to side streets and parking lots, and grab a friend to offer some advice.

Even after the course a new rider has lots of practice to do on their own bike before they're ready for traffic conditions.

I'm glad you had a good experience.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Yeah.

The course was great. Very through and taught me things that I didn't know or would have done differently.

Aside from the several incidents thru out the weekend (e.g. bypassing the curb & hitting the fence, cruiser falling on a female rider (ouch!), sudden front brake application, resulting in vertical lift on the rear-bike) - I hope whomever they are, they are okay and good in health.

I had a good time, meet some new friends, and most importantly, passed M1 to get M2! Now, have to wait until 27th of this month to officially get the paper work processed.

Of course, the weather was crazy until the testing part, it was sunny and bright.

Now, thru my other post, I mentioned about the 250R 2005 Ninja that I am getting. Is this bike stable for HWY-401 driving (let's say 100 km/h - 120 km/h - flow with traffic).

Eventually, this bike will be sold, and planning on getting Ducati 1198 when I complete my M in 2 years time.

Or should I sell the 250cc, get 500cc and work myself toward 600cc then finally get the 1198 SS?

Quote Originally Posted by gobu View Post
    Or should I sell the 250cc, get 500cc and work myself toward 600cc then finally get the 1198 SS?
    How do you know what will happen in 2 years from now? I started on a 500 two years ago, now I have a ZX-10R. Enjoy your current ride for now.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

^^ Take it one day at a time. Riding time and how comfortable you are riding a bike will determine how quickly you get to a Ducati 1198. I got my M license over 20 years ago. Back than I had lots of mileage both on the street and dirt. I stopped riding for a few years until last July. In July I bought a 1987 CBR250R, sold it and got a 2003 VFR800 in September and now I ride 1000cc supersport. I would not suggest you follow this time line but even though riding a bike feels second nature to me based on previous experience I am still thankfully I worked my way up to the bike I ride today.

If you plan to do lots of highway riding I would go with a 500cc although a 250 will work...you just need to plan ahead to pass anyone.

I was using a dirt bike, Honda CRF 150f. It was really fun to ride, but I thought that what I learned on it would not transfer over to my ninja. I was wrong. I rode the bike to work this morning and I felt much better on the ninja, specificly going really slow in traffic and red lights.
    The more types of bikes you ride the better understanding of motorcycling in general you'll gain. Thats one of the aspects of the M2 course, you get to ride a variety of bikes. So don't get hung up on getting a Duc. The other comment I have is make sure you've had the bike for a while you're going to do the M2 exit on. A lot can go wrong when you're under stress on an unfamilar machine & everyone else is giddy upping. Its not the time to hunt for where the kickstand is located, or be mystified how the engine stalled or stopped, or how the signals work. Also be aware you'll have to do some highway riding in a group. You have to demonstrate your abilities to the instructors: how comfortable am I on a group ride (many riders are uncomfortable with another bike in close proximity), have i ever ridden in formation, do I know group riding hand signals & ettitquette, can I keep up or pass the group if necessary on my machine (or am I the group slug), am I comfortable leading a group (you may be asked to lead at some point) & watching my mirrors while I ride to keep everyone together.
    Do get riding and enjoy the summer.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 05-13-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Got Torque?

I didnt say anything about a DUC... but thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gobu View Post
    Now, thru my other post, I mentioned about the 250R 2005 Ninja that I am getting. Is this bike stable for HWY-401 driving (let's say 100 km/h - 120 km/h - flow with traffic).
    Yes. that bike can easily do 100-120 all day long. it will even go higher than that but will be up in the revs. just takes a bit longer to accelerate.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.