Wheelie questions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelie questions?

Wheelie questions?

I'm a self confessed stunting newbie. I currently have NO intentions of really getting into the stunting scene. and NO intentions of buying anything stunt related for my current bike. once I start making some money, Id consider buying a new bike better suited to stunting, but for now... I just want to have fun with what I already own.

I have a 2000 GSXR 600, with a 97 750cc engine in it. The previous owner changed the rear sprocket +2.

I've been riding for 2 seasons, and have never had the front wheel off the ground. I think I would consider trying a power wheelie or two, but don't really know where to start. Here are some things running through my head:

a) is an occasional wheelie really that difficult, or dangerous? (they won't be anything near 12o'clock wheelies)
    b) is it possible with carbs? or do you require FI?
    c) does it put horrible wear on the fork seals?
    d) is it excessively hard on any other parts of the bike?
    e) Is it better to wait until I have a FI bike with stunting parts, or do I have an adequate setup?
    f) If I give 'er a whirl, and see what happens, am I likely to hurt myself?

Too Much Rock For One Hand

Re: Wheelie questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginner View Post
    b) is it possible with carbs? or do you require FI?
    Was this a serious question?

My 50 cc, 7 hp ysr (which is CARBED!!!) can wheelie. I dont think lack of fuel injection is going to be a limiting factor.

I don't know anything about stunting. or carbs for that matter.

but I thought I heard somewhere that something in the carbs is gravity fed, and taking them off level can, stop or slow the fuel flow, and eventually stall the engine...

I guess that's not true then. =D

You have more than enough motorcycle to wheelie.

The first thing that the guy who first put an engine in a bicycle frame did was drop his new bike. When he got back on, he did a wheelie.

Stop overthinking it.
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

Ummmmm.........A sport bike wouldn't be my first choice to start learning to wheelie. (I say this and realize that I'm riding a Harley which isn't the greatest wheelie machine itself)

Make a friend that has a dirt bike or something and play around with that.

If you don't mind the risk of some rash on the plastics and replacing some other bits, then give r a try.

I'd even check out Kijiji for a POS to try on and practice with.

Getting the wheel up is easy enough, it's how to manage with it in the air and put it down.

It doesn't take a lot to get the front end up. Go slow on second gear, slip the clutch some, give is some throttle, let the clutch out some.

You'll chew up the clutch some so, don't get too carried away.

It isn't kind to the bike in anyway so, that is why I suggested pony up a few bucks for something else that can take the abuse and disgard when it'd pooched.

I know money isn't easy to come by but, it's either that or looking at what you have to fix on your ride after some mistakes.

Good luck.

PS. It's apparent I'm no stunt man but, I've got some experience in the wheelie department riding some quads and dirt bikes. Dirt is softer than pavement. Can't say I never dropped a bike trying to learn how to wheelie so, that's why I suggested something else to practice with.

you wont really hurt your clutch that much if you do clutch wheelies properly. Will the bike do a power wheelie? if not try this in second gear drive around 50-60 km\h, clutch in rev up to 13k then immediately dump the clutch and keep the hand on the gas..the front wheel will come up, keep your rear brake covered though. Maybe start at lower rpms to keep better control of the situation, you dont want the front end to come up too high and lose control. good luck..have fun..be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginner View Post
    I don't know anything about stunting. or carbs for that matter.

but I thought I heard somewhere that something in the carbs is gravity fed, and taking them off level can, stop or slow the fuel flow, and eventually stall the engine...

I guess that's not true then. =D
    if you aren't going to be doing 12's or anywhere close to that it'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    if you aren't going to be doing 12's or anywhere close to that it'll be fine
    Awesome. thanks. =D

Don't try a clutch up first. They can come up too fast. Just try some power one first. If i can power wheelie on my ZX6, you would be able to do it easier on your 750. First Gear, accelerate fairly hard, let off a bit to compress the front suspension, then hit it again. Up she comes. Feels fantastic. Once you are up, and you want to set it down, just roll off the throttle.

a) is an occasional wheelie really that difficult, or dangerous? (they won't be anything near 12o'clock wheelies) = NO

b) is it possible with carbs? or do you require FI? = No FI required
    c) does it put horrible wear on the fork seals? = Depends on how you set them down
    d) is it excessively hard on any other parts of the bike? = Your clutch if you do it wrong
    e) Is it better to wait until I have a FI bike with stunting parts, or do I have an adequate setup? = Not if you just want to do regular wheelies
    f) If I give 'er a whirl, and see what happens, am I likely to hurt myself? = Yes eventually you will hurt yourself messing with wheelies

Doing wheelies is about technique, finding the balancing point and knowing where the sweet spot is on the throttle. I would first start with power wheelies then as your confidence builds and you get some air then venture into the clutch ups.

As someone else mentioned, you want to be in 1st gear and accelerate forward then roll off the throttle which will make the bike nose dive, using that momentum you blip the throttle and up she'll go. You can help it come up with a tug on the bars. Make sense?

Play safe, good luck!

Lots of people will tell you how to Wheelie, although they do not Wheelie personally.
    Some will tell you, and they may not even ride!
    Your already at two pages, be carefull who you take advise from.
    Where My Rode Dawgs At!!

LoL at this post... not the topic but the advice is rich.. its all seat time!, and some pointers here and there, but its all daydreams until u go out and do it...but u can get hurt if u go animal... 180km\hr wheelies are sweet!!! LoL tell the cops i said hi!
    ftp

I'm sure this will start some ****, but my opion is start the right way use the clutch! I have seen way more power wheelie's go wrong then someone clutching. Just take your time and practice start off small and off the street. And yes you will get hurt messing with wheelie's at some point! I've seen the worst happen to some of the best I knew.
    You wont always WIN, Its a machine it will beat you sometime!

Most threads recommend learning wheelies on smaller bikes 50cc-250cc on dirt or grass.

Has anyone tried wheelies on a bicycle to start with? Might be asking for flame but....a bicycle can help to learn what balance point feels like, mistakes are more forgiving, and no hta 172. something to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yc9mmT62lQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iftrm9VqclQ

Quote Originally Posted by *gSTP* View Post
    Most threads recommend learning wheelies on smaller bikes 50cc-250cc on dirt or grass.

Has anyone tried wheelies on a bicycle to start with? Might be asking for flame but....a bicycle can help to learn what balance point feels like, mistakes are more forgiving, and no hta 172. something to consider.

Balance point on a bicycle is just a little different then on a motorcycle

I can ride a wheelie on a bicycle for a long time. I can ride a balance point wheelie on an atv. I can't wheelie for **** on a motorcycle though. Cross transferable skills? Sure, but being good a one doesn't mean you'll be automatically good at the other.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

I'm in the same boat as the OP more or less, I want to do it but I don't want to drop it. Go figure.

I think the best advice I got was start small. Roll on, front comes up 6", settle it back down. Next one go 12", settle it back down and keep going little more every time. Keep doing this so you can feel what it's like for the front end to get light and come up, little by little you get used to the sensation. At first you will be nervous, just relax, keep rolling on and off.

Once you've done that and got used to the feeling, it's time to pop the clutch. Again start small, let the bike roll, clutch, throttle, pop the clutch, throttle (cover the rear brake). Next one, more throttle, pop the clutch...keep going until you get it. Better to not give 'er ENOUGH than to give 'er TOO MUCH.

So obviously I haven't done it myself, but it sounds like a pretty sound plan. Small steps, little by little, get used to the sensation/reaction and keep going up until you get it. I think some guys try to "get it" on their 1st/2nd try, which is a big gamble. I don't know about you but the first I jumped in a pool It wasn't the deep end.

My 2 cents.
    The unexamined life is not worth living -
    Socrates, in Plato, Dialogues, Apology

Toronto Renovation Contractor
    Toronto Renovation Contractor Blog
    Toronto Renovation Contractor Youtube

I will let you guys in on all the stunt riders secret to easy wheelies.... I am serious.....

Quote Originally Posted by *gSTP* View Post

Dont bicycles have to adhere to the same rules of the road as cars? Therefore could be charged with HTA172? No stunna is safe.