250cc Cruisers? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 250cc Cruisers?

Re: 250cc Cruisers?

I started on a Virago 250. Excellent starter, reliable as hell but no highway bike. If you have to go on the highway, bypass the 250. I don't think a 500 is that much harder to ride or learn on. If you are already dreaming of a 600 SS you will clearly get bored with the 250 within a couple months. Also, these 250 cruisers hold their value real tight, it would not be too far off in price to buy a bigger displacement bike like the Vulcan or the S40.
    I am not saying 250 is not the way to go for a starter, but if highway is unavoidable don't even bother.

Thanks alot for all the replys!!!!
    I'm thinking about getting a Vulcan 500 or a ninja 250 now, I really want to give them a few test rides to see what fits me better(atleast sit on them and make vroom vroom souns), I do think I'm leading towards the Vulcan for my first bike but wouldn't be surprised if i ended up with a 250ZZR. *Stomps ground* no fair i want both!!! *

The only thing I'm thinking about the 250ZZR is it might not be a comfy as the vulcan for trips to the trailer(4hour ride) I'm going to read up on them for a few days and then go see some.

I went with the Virago 535 as my first bike and would highly recommend it. The Vulcan 500 does have a marginal amount of increase in hp and looks very different from the Virago ( was my other option but couldn't find one for a good price)

The Virago 535 can easily do 120 but its nimble enough to handle in the city (since i live and work in downtown) so give that a look as well

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Love my 250cc Kymco Venox. It's Taiwanese, basically a Magna 250. Kymco makes engines for BMW and parts for Honda. My uncle has a VTX-1300 with many parts from to my bike. Indicated 140+ km/hr - realistically the GPS showed I was travelling at 137 km/hr, not bad for a 250cc cruiser. It's very smooth, dohc, 28 hp, rev limiter is set for 12k rpm, you can have a lot of fun with it. I average 60 mpg (4.0 litres per 100 km) which is a nice bonus. There are two used ones with low km for $3000

Where are you seeing these $3000 Venox? I've found one on kijiji for $2700 and another for $3100 I think.

My first bike was 750 Shadow Aero, and looking back now, I'm glad that I started on that then anything smaller. It's a great beginner bike as well,
    the weight on it isn't that bad to handle really, pretty forgiving as well, just dead simple, and no worries. It would have been a little nicer if it was FI, but really, no problems that it was carb'd.
    "It's water over the bridge" ? What smoke are you cracking?!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalx View Post
    Where are you seeing these $3000 Venox? I've found one on kijiji for $2700 and another for $3100 I think.
    Pretty sure you answered your own question there.

Quote Originally Posted by slm View Post
    My first bike was 750 Shadow Aero, and looking back now, I'm glad that I started on that then anything smaller. It's a great beginner bike as well,
    the weight on it isn't that bad to handle really, pretty forgiving as well, just dead simple, and no worries. It would have been a little nicer if it was FI, but really, no problems that it was carb'd.
    That's the bike I'm still on after 3 years. The lack of FI is just something else to learn. No big deal. Fuel guage? Bah! who needs one! The 750 Shadow is a great starter. Low on maintenance (shaft drive). Easy on insurance. Built to a budget. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

And over the years I'll be slowly but surely tacking on the aftermarket parts I want to transform it into the bike that's my own.

Sometimes I flort with the idea of something different, like a Strom. But I'm happy to have started on the Shadow and am showing no signs of being bored with it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyfredly View Post
    That's the bike I'm still on after 3 years. The lack of FI is just something else to learn. No big deal. Fuel guage? Bah! who needs one! The 750 Shadow is a great starter. Low on maintenance (shaft drive). Easy on insurance. Built to a budget. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

And over the years I'll be slowly but surely tacking on the aftermarket parts I want to transform it into the bike that's my own.

Sometimes I flort with the idea of something different, like a Strom. But I'm happy to have started on the Shadow and am showing no signs of being bored with it.

That's right.. to hell with the gauges! But the fun part was getting to learn about your bike.. the tripometer etc.. I liked the retro look though and everything it had on it...
    "It's water over the bridge" ? What smoke are you cracking?!

Quote Originally Posted by dhirenbh
    I went with the Virago 535 as my first bike and would highly recommend it. The Vulcan 500 does have a marginal amount of increase in hp and looks very different from the Virago ( was my other option but couldn't find one for a good price)

The Virago 535 can easily do 120 but its nimble enough to handle in the city (since i live and work in downtown) so give that a look as well
    The Vulcan may be cheaper to insure as it would fall in an under 500cc bracket whereas the Virago would be over. I'm not sure what (if any) the difference would be but given the OPs age it probably isn't too significant.

Hey... I was in the same situation as you until about yesterday... Although I wanted something bigger with more power... I had to look at what made sense financially whilst taking into consideration that i'm a beginner rider. I got quoted for approx $650 for the year on a 2004 Yamaha Virago 250cc.. i test rode a Marauder and a Virago, and the Virago in my opinion seemed superior... Again, I'm a beginner so I'm not even thinking about that extra power required for the highway although I shared the same thoughts as you.. to get a more powerful bike for those "needful" situations.

I say get a 250 cruiser.. enjoy it and then upgrade next year or the year after when you are really comfortable with riding...

j

Quote Originally Posted by guym View Post
    I'm still looking for my first bike, I've been thinking about maybe getting a 250cc instead of a 500cc ... How would the 250cc handle on the highway? would it have enough power to GTFO if i had to if I was alrdy going 110km? Or would it not be recomended for a 250 and to just go for the bigger bike? Money IS an issue tho, and the reason I've been looking at 250cc's

*About me* Really new rider still getting use to riding and not going to try the highways just yet, but once I'm better I'm going to give it a go. I'm 26 5'7 210pounds.

Thanks

I was told at snow city store by a rep that for a beginner cruiser a 250 is not recommended unless they are sportbikes. He suggested something more powerful and heavier.
    Last edited by getfunky; 04-30-2010 at 01:34 PM.

After going through having a 250 cruiser myself, I would say unless you're less than 120lb or less than 5'3" or terrified of bikes or clumsy, there's no point in getting a 250, since you'll get bored in a couple weeks. This is particularly true of new bikes. If it's used, there's a reasonable argument for spending those two weeks learning....but still, it's so so small and weak.

I'm going to jump-in and say that starting with a 250 is not a bad idea. I am a fairly big guy (5'10, 200lbs) and I ride a honda rebel 250cc. Not only is it small in engine size (it is actually sub 250: ~234) but the bike itself is small and people smaller than me have described it as cramped.

Nevertheless, after putting about 4000 kms on her and taking her for fairly long day trips (9 hours or so) several times and having ridden on 400 series highways I must say that I am impressed with the bike.

It isn't the fastest or the most comfortable. But it does do the job and I am still perfecting my techniques (as one can always improve) and I certainly don't feel that I have outgrown the bike.

Now, do I want a bigger bike? Yes! But the reasons why I want it are comfort (it is a bit cramped and the seat hurts) and ease-of-use for long freeway rides.

I have ridden the bike at about 120 km/hour straight for about 2 hours (hwy 11 and the 400) and it will do it. BUT I am open throttle in 5th gear and tucked pretty much the whole time.

I like long trips and I would like a bike that I can take on the freeways and not have to be open throttle in 5th gear while tucked on the entire time. It would be nice to be in a more relaxed posture and be a bit more chill and not be worried about keeping-up with traffic. However, I still love the bike and, like I already said, she DOES do the job.

Look at what this guy did: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512

I don't think it is necessary to start with a 250 and I don't think that you will necessarily get into trouble with a bigger bike. But I certainly have no hesitation in recommending that you start with a 250 and I really do feel that I am learning a lot with this small bike. I think there is something to be said for that.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by palmpalm; 05-17-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Even a moped will DO the job. There's a difference between doing the job and doing it well. To the Rebel's credit, mine got something like 70+ mpg despite being 23 years old with 40k km.

I would only consider one 250 cc cruiser...and it'd have to be old since they haven't been made in a while. But hands down it will by far outperform any other 250 cc cruiser available, and would still insure the same.

Early Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator, with the parallel 250 twin motor right out of the Ninja 250

As a side note, I started street riding on a Shadow 500, then a 250 rebel on and off (was my mom's bike and I borrowed it to commute 1 hr each way to school since it was super fuel efficient)
    Last edited by omnivore; 05-05-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Hopefully you have a bike by now! My vote if you haven't is bypass the whole cruiser thing. If you ultimately want to get a sport bike why start there. Ninja 250, EX500, or GS500 all the way. 120km/hr maxed out on a 250/500 cruiser is simply puttering around on a sport bike. Oddly enough a light 250 (cruiser) has it's own issues (wind, over-steering) and at 210lbs yourself it'd be miraculous to maintain highway speed.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Quote Originally Posted by palmpalm View Post
    I'm going to jump-in and say that starting with a 250 is not a bad idea. I am a fairly big guy (5'10, 200lbs) and I started riding last year on a honda rebel 250cc. Not only is it small in engine size (it is actually sub 250: ~234) but the bike itself is small and people smaller than me have described it as cramped.

I have ridden the bike at about 120 km/hour straight for about 2 hours (hwy 11 and the 400) and it will do it. BUT I am open throttle in 5th gear and tucked pretty much the whole time.
    This is pretty well the reason many of us won't recommend a 250 for a starter.
    Plus, as I stated in another thread: how soon do you intend on taking your M2 exit? Being the smallest bike in a group ride isn't fun & you will have to ride on the highway, as the poster stated open throttle & full tuck on the 250 to pass anyone. Trading up bikes every year or two is a real pain and usually a loss of money if you go through dealers. If you intend on riding on your M2 for 3 or 4 years & don't get much out of the city, then a 250 will serve you even probably much better than my big beast. I can't speak to Adri's Venox (I have ridden Kymco scooters tho...lol), but the 250 cruisers I've ridden, I haven't been impressed.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I would only consider one 250 cc cruiser...and it'd have to be old since they haven't been made in a while. But hands down it will by far outperform any other 250 cc cruiser available, and would still insure the same.

Early Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator, with the parallel 250 twin motor right out of the Ninja 250

As a side note, I started street riding on a Shadow 500, then a 250 rebel on and off (was my mom's bike and I borrowed it to commute 1 hr each way to school since it was super fuel efficient)
    I saw a gorgeous example of one of these outside my shop the other week. I didn't even know they existed! Apparently the owner was prepping it for sale.....(probably long gone by now...)
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

They were also avilable in 600 and 900 cc versions as well, using Ninja 600 and Ninja 900 motors. The only "muclce cruiser" that had more performace back then was the V-max
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    They were also avilable in 600 and 900 cc versions as well, using Ninja 600 and Ninja 900 motors. The only "muclce cruiser" that had more performace back then was the V-max
    Say wasn't the Honda Magna in the '85 Guinness World Record Book?

Didn't like my '82 250 cc Kawasaki cruiser - too hard to get parts for it.

It was good on gas and cheap on insurance.

I'd look for a Honda - Rebel maybe - they back their older products up the best.

You can take two years to learn to ride it, do your test on it too - you don't need to go 140 on the highway part of the test.

Then if you upgrade because you're think you want to go from place to place on the super slab, you can keep the bike and use it later after you've actually learned to ride in a decade or so.