250cc Cruisers?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 250cc Cruisers?

Question 250cc Cruisers?

I'm still looking for my first bike, I've been thinking about maybe getting a 250cc instead of a 500cc ... How would the 250cc handle on the highway? would it have enough power to GTFO if i had to if I was alrdy going 110km? Or would it not be recomended for a 250 and to just go for the bigger bike? Money IS an issue tho, and the reason I've been looking at 250cc's

*About me* Really new rider still getting use to riding and not going to try the highways just yet, but once I'm better I'm going to give it a go. I'm 26 5'7 210pounds.

Thanks

Re: 250cc Cruisers?

It depends on the bike, I'm sure adri will chime in about his Kymco Venox 250cc which apparently boots along the highway with ease.

I had a GZ250 that I took on the highways, although I stayed in the right lane for the most part. Max speed was about 110 kmh, 120 if I was going downhill (or accidentally left the choke partly open). Not a lot of power to 'gtfo', but I didn't have any issues commuting like this every day on the QEW -> 427 -> 401 to work and back.

If you're strictly looking at cruisers than insurane cost may be the decided factor for you. If you can afford it and you're definitely wanting to hit the highways eventually, look for a Vulcan 500.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Yea The Vulcan is the 500 I've been looking at... Having problems finding a nice ltd for no more than 3K tho, as I'm a broke sob. The insurance for one was ok (Quoted at 1k for a year with TD) I just can't find a nice Vulcan for sale(in my price range) ;-o and Have seen a few honda rebels for sale that got me thinking about 250's

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    If you're strictly looking at cruisers than insurane cost may be the decided factor for you.
    I thought Sport bikes were more for insurance?!
    I still want a Cruiser for a first bike either way, intill I know I can handle a 600cc sportbike in a few years down the road.(Yes I know that's a big difference between bikes and power and will take abit of relearning when the time comes :-p)

Go to a 500 or even 750. They are still easy to handle and you get use to the weight. Not as easy to turn as 250 cruisers but you won't get bored after 2 seasons. Plus it has that extra power to 2 up.
    2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Current)
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Lime Green (SOLD!)

If you want a sport bike anyway then get a Ninja 250, the ZZR's are cheap now, and insurance is the same as a 250 cruiser.

Ninja 250 is more than capable of highway speeds, and a great bike to learn on.

Now if you really do want a cruiser then I've heard the rebel/mauraders are pretty anemic and the Virago is the best bet (of the big 4). The Kymco/Hyosung 250 cruisers are liquid cooled and newer tech, supposedly good for more speed i think.
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2
    2001 Kawasaki EX250-H (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
    If you want a sport bike anyway then get a Ninja 250, the ZZR's are cheap now, and insurance is the same as a 250 cruiser.

Ninja 250 is more than capable of highway speeds, and a great bike to learn on.

Now if you really do want a cruiser then I've heard the rebel/mauraders are pretty anemic and the Virago is the best bet (of the big 4). The Kymco/Hyosung 250 cruisers are liquid cooled and newer tech, supposedly good for more speed i think.
    So a 250 zzr would have some power left to GTFO if i was alrdy going 110km or so on the highway? How would you compair it to a Vulcan 500 for Highway driving?

Never driven a Vulcan but I think that has the Ninja 500 engine, so it would definitely have more torque.

Top speed on my ZZR is 170 indicated, about 160 in reality and it gets there quick enough for me. Hell of a lot faster than my Civic lol.
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2
    2001 Kawasaki EX250-H (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
    Never driven a Vulcan but I think that has the Ninja 500 engine, so it would definitely have more torque.

Top speed on my ZZR is 170 indicated, about 160 in reality and it gets there quick enough for me. Hell of a lot faster than my Civic lol.
    160 eh? Didn't think 250's could get up that fast I was thinking they maxed out around 130... Hmmm Now I'm really thinking about gettin a ninja - I don't even wanta go that fast, but it's nice to know it's there when you need to gtfo~

Smile Re: 250cc Cruisers?

Look at my 1982 Suzuki in the 1980's and older thread. Lots of power.

Yes the 250 ninja will do 150-160 max no comparison to a 250 cruiser.

I had an old '89 XV535 virago that I loved. Really wish I hadn't sold that bike.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Love my 250cc Kymco Venox. It's Taiwanese, basically a Magna 250. Kymco makes engines for BMW and parts for Honda. My uncle has a VTX-1300 with many parts from to my bike. Indicated 140+ km/hr - realistically the GPS showed I was travelling at 137 km/hr, not bad for a 250cc cruiser. It's very smooth, dohc, 28 hp, rev limiter is set for 12k rpm, you can have a lot of fun with it. I average 60 mpg (4.0 litres per 100 km) which is a nice bonus. There are two used ones with low km for $3000

You won't get that from the japanese 250cc cruisers. As for the Honda Rebel, I had one, cleaned it up well with new chain and sprocket and it still struggled to 120 (and vibrated like hell). Definitely wasn't fun. The only other 250cc cruiser available here that won't suck (in terms of engine performance) is the Hyosung GV-250, but you should look into that one a little as Hyosung has a mixed reputation.

Given that you're 26, I would say go for the Vulcan 500. Avoid underpowered bikes like the Shadow 600 and the 650cc Savage/S40 which won't give you a noticeable amount more power than my 250 will.

Quote Originally Posted by guym View Post
    I thought Sport bikes were more for insurance?!
    I still want a Cruiser for a first bike either way, intill I know I can handle a 600cc sportbike in a few years down the road.(Yes I know that's a big difference between bikes and power and will take abit of relearning when the time comes :-p)
    If a bike is classified as a super-sport then yes, the insurance will be more expensive. I only mentioned insurance because some companies (like State Farm) go purely by engine-size, and there may be a difference in price premium between a 250 and 500.

If you're looking to eventually get on a 600cc, definitely consider the Ninja 250. Going from a tiny cruiser to a sport bike is a STEEP learning curve (ask me how I know!).
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

I did my bike course on a maurader 250 and it was useless. Totally underpowered. Had a hard time getting up to speed in the parking lot for the panic stops.

I would definately get a 500cc+ if you were looking at a cruiser. If price is the issue then you should look at an older model cruiser, or ever a late 80's standard model.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

I've been looking to get a smaller displacement cruiser to learn on (just passed my m2 course). I don't think a 250cc would cut it based on my course. I get the impression I'm better off going with a virago/vstar 650 than a savage/s40 due to power etc. There's not many out there in the 4k or less range though. What about 600cc rebels? Same power issues versus the savage/s40?

Thanks.

There is no 600cc Rebel. In 86 and 87 they made a Honda Rebel 450, but it was only in those years and that's as large as they got.

The Shadow 600 is a 4-speed, which doesn't really appeal to me and I've heard the S40 big thumper is a pretty flat ride. I think in terms of specs on paper both would be outdone by a Vulcan 500... but you won't get that V-Twin sound on the Vulcan as you would on the Shadow. I haven't taken either out but hopefully someone else can chime in.

Err yeah.. shadow.. no idea why I said rebel...

I've only heard good things about the Vulcan 500. Unfortunately they are no longer in production. As an alternative there is the ''82-'86 Honda VT500C Shadow, 50hp, 6 sp, shafty, vtwin. Every so often they do come up for sale. Also consider the Honda VT600 VLX. Though it is a 4 speed, they should have plenty of power for the highway without the huge weight penalty of more current cruisers.

If you're unwilling or unable to get a 500, consider the Ninja 250 or Ninja 500s. They are still very newby friendly. Though their name sounds like a sport bike they are really standard in their riding position, with a slick plastic candy wrapper. They are really not sport bikes. You owe it to yourself to sit on one. Or two.

250s are in such demand that outstrips supply. Also consider the Suzuki S40/Savage, the 650 single. They are powerful enough for the highway and are relatively light weight.

Welcome aboard!
    Sounds like you got the fever, spring that is and the roar of a bike is singing to you....
    A little advice from an old fart, firstly... call around for insurance quotes! You'll be amazed by the difference you'll find! At 26 for a 250 cruiser a $1,000 sounds incredibly high to me! You'll find a list of companies in the insurance section.
    Secondly, have you ever sat on any of these bikes in person? By your size a 250 rebel would squeeze you! Keep in mind you might want to have this bike a few good years before you move on to the next one and bike swapping costs. Also this is high season for bike sales, 2 months ago the prices were lower as demand was down. The bike shows are pretty much over for this year, but would have been a great place to try a few bikes and learn the market.
    Thirdly, keep your options open. A 1980's 500 shadow in good shape will serve you well and offer years of pleasure! All the manufacturers (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki make some pretty reliable and sturdy bikes.
    Lastly, only you can decide, ask questions and get to know the brotherhood of riders... we do help each other out! If you need help looking at a bike or have a tech question, just ask
    Cheers
    Aminal

PS Last year at RFS, Adri's 250 Kymco was getting more looks and chat than anyone elses ride.
    In the breeze