250cc Cruisers? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 250cc Cruisers?

Re: 250cc Cruisers?

Yea I ended up getting a very nice 09 ninja 250 and i love it!
    My Ride: 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Well done!
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I'm riding a Honda Rebel 250 cc as my first bike and am loving it. Currently I have no need for highway riding, although on regional highway roads I have been able to get it up to 110 no problem.
    Dog Beatr
    Honda Rebel CMX250
    Toronto

Just got back from a 5 day trip - Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, visiting friends and partying. My 2008 Kymco Venox 250cc was fine. Hit 145 km/hr in full tuck indicated, GPS said just over 140. I'd like to see the older japanese cruisers with engines designed 30 years ago do that.

from my talks with jevco when i was shopping for a replacement bike after my maxim got run over, the only thing that makes a difference on insurance costs is engine cc, super sport surcharge and if you put comprehensive on it (that may or may not be available depending on the age of the bike).
    x

Today is one of the few days I got out on my 250cc bike, and came straight back home. Felt like the wind was planning to blow the bike off the road at some point.

I would prefer to not buy a 3rd helmet in 2 months period.

Glad you got home OK.

I was thinking of going for a ride, but I have dealt with wind before and it is ***not*** fun. And, then, they kept on calling for isolated showers.

Now, when I look at weather, I check for rain + wind.
    It's now an obsession!

Me too!!! This labour weekend totally blows. There are some isolated showers now.
    By the time the weather clears up, it's back to work.

I got out on my bike tonight after the winds slowed down. But it's not the same as a half-day out of city ride.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    If you're looking to eventually get on a 600cc, definitely consider the Ninja 250. Going from a tiny cruiser to a sport bike is a STEEP learning curve (ask me how I know!).
    Really? I've read in a few other places that standards and cruisers are actually harder to ride (due to worse handling and more weight) than a supersport so once you learn on a cruiser or standard and move to a supersport it feels much easier to control.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Really? I've read in a few other places that standards and cruisers are actually harder to ride (due to worse handling and more weight) than a supersport so once you learn on a cruiser or standard and move to a supersport it feels much easier to control.
    Not in my experience. Granted, I jumped to a sport-tourer, not exactly an SS. But the higher CoG, dual front disc brakes, twitchier throttle and heavy engine braking made for a steep learning curve. I had to be far more precise when handling that bike. I've since gotten an HD Sportster which has almost twice the engine displacement but is far easier to ride in general. SS bikes will perform better because they are built for it - they have far better brakes, suspension, and power to weight ratio. But that doesn't make them easier for a newer rider.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Not in my experience. Granted, I jumped to a sport-tourer, not exactly an SS. But the higher CoG, dual front disc brakes, twitchier throttle and heavy engine braking made for a steep learning curve. I had to be far more precise when handling that bike. I've since gotten an HD Sportster which has almost twice the engine displacement but is far easier to ride in general. SS bikes will perform better because they are built for it - they have far better brakes, suspension, and power to weight ratio. But that doesn't make them easier for a newer rider.
    Was the sport tourer you're referring to the 650R? Because it's really not very SS-like and the main place where I've read that SS bikes are easier to ride is on a 650R forum where a guy says any SS he's ridden is way easier to ride than the 650.

As for engine braking, the 650, being a twin, has a lot more engine braking than an inline 4 as far as I know.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.

standards aka ujm are way more forgiving than a supersport. super sports are twitchy
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    standards aka ujm are way more forgiving than a supersport. super sports are twitchy
    Good to know. I haven't yet had the opportunity to ride one yet.

I know I have a friend with an F4i and an older ZX6 and he says if he rides the ZX6 too much when he gets on the F4i he feels like he sucks at riding because it's a lot more twitchy and unforgiving. He can be "sloppier" on the Ninja.

Was the sport tourer you're referring to the 650R? Because it's really not very SS-like and the main place where I've read that SS bikes are easier to ride is on a 650R forum where a guy says any SS he's ridden is way easier to ride than the 650.

As for engine braking, the 650, being a twin, has a lot more engine braking than an inline 4 as far as I know.
    I wasn't originally comparing SSs to the 650R. My original point in this thread was that it's a steep jump from a small cruiser to an SS. A cruiser and sport-tourer or standard are not at all alike. SS bikes are not nearly as forgiving and require far more precision when handling them.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa