Whirring/Whining noise from transmission region - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whirring/Whining noise from transmission region

Re: Whirring/Whining noise from transmission region

I had same problem it turn out to be I over tightened the hard soft nose rivet link

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    I took off the nut and torqued it back on by putting it in gear
    Yikes is right! How's your tranny holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pninja View Post
    I had same problem it turn out to be I over tightened the hard soft nose rivet link
    You gotta make sure when you're doing the rivet links that you don't over press the plate on the posts and squish the o-rings, and of course don't over button them. They only need to be spread SLIGHTLY to hold the plate on. If you're in doubt grab the plate with some pliers and give it a wiggle, if she dun move you've riveted them enough! Remember to fill the entire holes where the master kink shafts go through with grease, and pre-grease shafts too. Hold your finger over the front of the holes as you push the link in from the back, so the grease gets compressed and fills every area around the shafts.

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 04-28-2012 at 02:22 AM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Yikes is right! How's your tranny holding up?

You gotta make sure when you're doing the rivet links that you don't over press the plate on the posts and squish the o-rings, and of course don't over button them. They only need to be spread SLIGHTLY to hold the plate on. If you're in doubt grab the plate with some pliers and give it a wiggle, if she dun move you've riveted them enough! Remember to fill the entire holes where the master kink shafts go through with grease, and pre-grease shafts too. Hold your finger over the front of the holes as you push the link in from the back, so the grease gets compressed and fills every area around the shafts.

-Jamie M.
    do you think thats why my bike is making that sound because of the rivet link
    Last edited by Pninja; 04-28-2012 at 06:21 AM.

A rivet link can ONLY make a sound when it's actually going around the sprocket, most of the time it's just along for the ride. So a bad rivet link would probably make a "tick tick tick" every time it went around the front sprocket, I don't think it'd make a whining noise.

If you changed your front sprocket WITH THE BIKE IN GEAR?!?! Then maybe. NEVER ever do that

Always have someone hold down the rear brake peddle, with the bike in neutral, when removing or tightening the front sprocket nut

I'm not a transmission expert, but I had someone PM me saying they had just left the bike in gear to torque on the front sprocket nut, and was getting the whining noise too, but didn't want to be humiliated publicly on the forum. He took it to a few shops, didn't feel confident that he was able to crack open the tranny himself, paid $930 to fix it.

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 04-28-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    A rivet link can ONLY make a sound when it's actually going around the sprocket, most of the time it's just along for the ride. So a bad rivet link would probably make a "tick tick tick" every time it went around the front sprocket, I don't think it'd make a whining noise.

If you changed your front sprocket WITH THE BIKE IN GEAR?!?! Then maybe. NEVER ever do that

Always have someone hold down the rear brake peddle, with the bike in neutral, when removing or tightening the front sprocket nut

I'm not a transmission expert, but I had someone PM me saying they had just left the bike in gear to torque on the front sprocket nut, and was getting the whining noise too, but didn't want to be humiliated publicly on the forum. He took it to a few shops, didn't feel confident that he was able to crack open the tranny himself, paid $930 to fix it.

-Jamie M.
    it does make noise when going around the sprocket but it sounds like a squeaky door when you role the tire on the stand

it does make noise when going around the sprocket but it sounds like a squeaky door when you role the tire on the stand
    Hmmm. Grab a magnifying glass (best one is big plastic card magnifier from Shoppers for $6) and take a close look at the rivet link. Are there o-rings on both sides of the masterlink plates? Is the plate pressed on too tight (compare it to the factory links right before/after it).

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Bike is fixed turned out to be the solid nose master link was to tight, and the rear axle nut wasnt tight enough and that threw the chain alignment so mechanic says

Bike is fixed turned out to be the solid nose master link was to tight, and the rear axle nut wasnt tight enough and that threw the chain alignment so mechanic says
    Glad you get her fixed up! If you break a chain while riding, bad bad bad things can happen (to you AND the bike!).

Ride safe, lube often.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^