Dropped bike; won't shift anymore

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropped bike; won't shift anymore

Dropped bike; won't shift anymore

Hey guys,

So not 5 days after I got my bike, I dropped her. Was on my crescent, just riding around the block, took a corner too fast and slid. I'm ok, just really ****** at myself for dropping her (09 Ninja 250R). Left side fairings are banged up, the one under the seat will need to be replaced eventually but ok for now...

But she won't shift out of neutral. It turns on just fine, but when you try to shift, it won't engage any of the gears. My thoughts are the kickstand sensor is messed up, or more likely, the shifter.

Ideas? Cost to fix?

Edit: I'm really upset about this. Slow speed, so I'm ok save for a little scraping. But I can't believe I ruined my bike so early.
    Last edited by HorizonXP; 04-18-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Re: Dropped bike; won't shift anymore

Happens to all of us man, I've the same bike in 08 and I've been riding around in my block also. Think of it this way, in a few months or by the end of this season you'll outgrow it.. and you'll replace it . Better drop this bike then your next

I don't think it's the kick stand switch. You would still be able to put it in gear,the bike would just turn off.

Is the shifter linkage bent?

so when you shift it shuts off? or it wont even go out of neutral?

i would check the lever connection, to ensure it is not bent.

Two types of riders,

1) those who have been down, 2) those who are going down

Cheers

Nick

First off, don't feel too bad. It's just a bike at the end of the day. If you ride long enough you will drop your bike...probably a few times. So just think of it as a "well, got that first one out of the way" kind of deal.

I haven't dropped mine but I've only been riding for just over a month, so I hope MY drop will be as easy as yours

I suppose if you had your pics the more mechanically knowledgeable members could better inform you of what your bike needs and costs.

Keep riding, brush it off and dust your shoulders off...you meant to do that Lol.
    The unexamined life is not worth living -
    Socrates, in Plato, Dialogues, Apology

Toronto Renovation Contractor
    Toronto Renovation Contractor Blog
    Toronto Renovation Contractor Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_f View Post
    so when you shift it shuts off? or it wont even go out of neutral?

i would check the lever connection, to ensure it is not bent.

Two types of riders,

1) those who have been down, 2) those who are going down

Cheers

Nick

Won't even go out of neutral. I'll check the lever, that's likely it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco'sWrath View Post
    First off, don't feel too bad. It's just a bike at the end of the day. If you ride long enough you will drop your bike...probably a few times. So just think of it as a "well, got that first one out of the way" kind of deal.

I haven't dropped mine but I've only been riding for just over a month, so I hope MY drop will be as easy as yours

I suppose if you had your pics the more mechanically knowledgeable members could better inform you of what your bike needs and costs.

Keep riding, brush it off and dust your shoulders off...you meant to do that Lol.
    Yeah, it still upsets me though. She was so pretty and pristine, and I went and ruined her. This is why I told my family I wanted to buy an older bike so I wouldn't have to worry about these things.

I'll try to get pics up.

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
    Yeah, it still upsets me though. She was so pretty and pristine, and I went and ruined her. This is why I told my family I wanted to buy an older bike so I wouldn't have to worry about these things.

I'll try to get pics up.
    Wait, wait... your FAMILY convinced you to buy a newer bike?

Quote Originally Posted by stangn99 View Post
    Wait, wait... your FAMILY convinced you to buy a newer bike?
    Yeah. They didn't like how the older Ninjas looked, or the condition of many of the ones I was looking at. Even the better ones, which were in the 3.5k range, they said, "Might as well buy new then."

I didn't buy new, I got a good deal on this 09, but still. I would've felt better dropping a cheaper bike.

Yeah, it still upsets me though. She was so pretty and pristine, and I went and ruined her.
    Man, it happens. Quit beating up on yourself... My bike was also pristine at one moment (I bought it new), now it isn't. But it's still a great bike. Falling over is a part of bike's existence.

Now, back to the problem. IIRC this model doesn't have any sensor that will prevent you from shifting, so the problem is likely mechanical. What feedback do you get when you try to shift gears? Does the lever move, or is it stuck? If it moves, does it move as far as it used to, or only up to a certain point? Is the clutch cable ok?
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Here are pictures. The shifter is what bothers me. It doesn't look bent to me. When I pull the clutch (which seems fine), and try to shift down into first, the shifter clicks but the gear doesn't engage. If I try to shift up, it clicks once (like it's trying to go to neutral) and doesn't click anymore after that. It feels a little like it's scratching, but I'm not sure.

That back fairing is cracked badly, but if I'm right, it's only $60 off cheap cycle parts. Can someone confirm the part #? I think it's 36040-0061-15, http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...lh-black-green.

Banned

Check to see if the shift lever is hitting the shift linkage on the bottom when you kick it down to first gear... Will it kick UP into second gear? Even if the clutch lever is damaged, it will still kick into gear.
    Stand on the left side of the bike, and kneel down, push the shift lever down, and take note of the linkage to see if anything is binding.
    Also, after you click it down, or up for that fact, try rotating the rear tire by either pushing the bike forward, or put it on a rear stand and rotate the tire. The gears need to rotate a bit in order for the sequential shifter to work properly.
    Last edited by SlowNLow; 04-18-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
    Check to see if the shift lever is hitting the shift linkage on the bottom when you kick it down to first gear... Will it kick UP into second gear? Even if the clutch lever is damaged, it will still kick into gear.
    Stand on the left side of the bike, and kneel down, push the shift lever down, and take note of the linkage to see if anything is binding.
    Also, after you click it down, or up for that fact, try rotating the rear tire by either pushing the bike forward, or put it on a rear stand and rotate the tire. The gears need to rotate a bit in order for the sequential shifter to work properly.

Tried it. It doesn't want to go into 1st or 2nd. Mind you, these bikes won't let you go from Neutral to 2nd in when you're standing still (Positive Neutral Finder). When I tried, it made a very faint grinding sort sound. Nothing alarming, but is this possibly some kinda of safety feature that's engaged when the bike is dropped?

Clutch cable seems fine (I can pull it from the lever), and I can't see any issues with the shift linkage.

Try rolling forward half-tire revolution while tapping down.

If that doesn't work, perhaps someone might be close by that could take a look at it for you? Where abouts are you located?

it's gotta be the shift linkage. i can't imagine anything else being damaged that would cause that at a low speed.

btw, don't bother getting that faring replaced. trust me. just take it off, and patch it from the inside with a fiberglass patch kit. it' ain't worth the trouble.

if you're going to fix it, fix it just before you sell it.

where abouts the GTA are you??
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

hey it's an se with rim tape and all
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Fairing is $80 shipped. I will replace it close to the end of the season or when I take pictures.

I agree that its likely the linkage. It probably came off. I'll have to open it to see this week. Rolling it doesn't help. Its just not catching. But see, I think I fell in gear but it says its in neutral. No clue though. Does that make sense? I think if I open it I could fix it...

I'm in Brampton.

Banned

Fairing is $80 shipped. I will replace it close to the end of the season or when I take pictures.

I agree that its likely the linkage. It probably came off. I'll have to open it to see this week. Rolling it doesn't help. Its just not catching. But see, I think I fell in gear but it says its in neutral. No clue though. Does that make sense? I think if I open it I could fix it...

I'm in Brampton.
    Hey there,

I did a bit of searching, and have found that in a few cases the arms on the shift shaft, on the clutch side have popped out of their groves... I am in brampton as well, and can come by and help ya if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
    Hey there,

I did a bit of searching, and have found that in a few cases the arms on the shift shaft, on the clutch side have popped out of their groves... I am in brampton as well, and can come by and help ya if you'd like.
    My dad and I will give it a shot tomorrow, but otherwise, I may have to take you up on your offer.

Fairing is $80 shipped.
    Where are you possibly finding new fairings for $80 shipped?? Wouldn't mind a few spares just in case
    http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1015/batmanp.gif<--Badass