Beginner / Recommendations

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner / Recommendations

Beginner / Recommendations

Hi Guys!

Couple of weeks ago, I got my M1 at Victoria Terrace MTO.

I will be going for the centennial college motorcycle course (Eglinton / Warden) area for the M1 Exit & Safety Course.

Now, I read through this forum, and searched on http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca for the following gears (for a beginner):

Icon Sub Stealth GlovesColor $51.63
    Icon Alliance SSR Solid HelmetColor $158.05
    Icon Accelerant Waterproof Motorcycle BootsColor $152.96
    (subject to change - might get something from Marks Warehouse)
    Icon Hooligan 2 Mesh JacketColor CA$176.65
    $566.25 - total

I read the review of the helmet on:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?p=819226

jacket review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_oG...=youtube_gdata

Now, the gloves and shoe is pushing it, but I figured I don't want go thru extensive surgery if I scrapped my hand skin.

After I sucessfully pass the M2, I am planning to ride on the HWY 401 series, and eventually get the M license in 2011 summer or fall.

Now, I also read this forum article on the first bike, I decided go for the Ninja 250R.

My friend and I are going for the same course, and he already got the bike - Ninja 250R, I am still looking for my own (funds kind of tight at the moment).

I know I am mixing Icon Gears for a Kawa Bike ... but I don't care, I am not going for a professional bike racing career.

So, I am just planning for local riding on streets, and go on the HWY to go to work from Scarborough to Misissauga.

So, any opinions on the course, what I should be aware of, or what to do sucessfully pass the M1 exit?

Currently, I have experience driving a manual 5-speed 5series bmw, but I know car / bike is not the same.

I have experience riding mini-scooters and mini-dirt bikes at my friends cottage area.
    Last edited by gobu; 04-17-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Re: Beginner / Recommendations

Welcome aboard!
    Great choice of bike to start on.
    But, well you could spring for better gear that's for sure....
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

I took the course at Centennial last year. Great course...Try to get one of the CBR 125's they have in first day . They are great to learn to on. Just pay attention to the instructors and ask any questions if you are not sure of anything.

I also have a 250r for a first bike. Great bike all alround. You won't have any any problems on the hiighway. More than enough power.

Dont worry if the gear matchs the bike. It's more important that it protects you...

In terms of gear you really want to try this stuff out, especially the helmet...it's not like buying socks at Walmart
    I would recommend getting used stuff...you get better quality for the same price or less even.
    I'm too lazy to look up the gear you posted but just in case the gloves and boots are shorties, I recommend gloves with gauntlets and full size boots. Also, leather is good...tex and mesh not so much =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Thanks for all of your comments.

I am going to go over to cycle world to check out the gears and order it online, since it is cheaper.

I am going to be a casual bike rider (for hot / sunny days like today) minus the raining part.

So, as an overview for the 3 day course, is this what is like:

fri 7-10 pm - lecture on safety, gears, license, concepts
    sat 8am-6pm - riding all day, getting used to the bike, following instructor's directions
    sun 8am-6pm, complete training, and the 10 part test, right? (timed area, roundabouts, etc.)

I got the M1 around march 3rd week (17th).

If I do get my M2 end of april, I still need to wait till May 17th to get my M2 officially at the MTO, right?

Can I start riding on the local roads, w/o any restrictions of M1 with the course certificate paper or I have to wait until I get the M2 TMP LIC paper from the MTO?

Goodluck and have fun with the safety course! I too have a 250r and having fun with it.

As for your gears... the CAD is at parity with USD... why not look for SIDI boots for $200 in newenough and motorcycle superstore? I got myself an Icon (field armour) boots and had a hard time shifting gears on my course. I just couldnt find/feel the damn shifter on the cbr125. I never used it since then.

Moderator Moderator TheGradyTrain's Avatar

First off welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by gobu View Post
    After I sucessfully pass the M2, I am planning to ride on the HWY 401 series, and eventually get the M license in 2011 summer or fall.
    Since you're taking a rider training course. Your mandatory wait period is cut down to 18 months from the date your M2 is processed at the ministry. So you would be looking at the fall of 2011 at the absolute earliest. This of course depends on when you update to your M2.

So, any opinions on the course, what I should be aware of, or what to do sucessfully pass the M1 exit?
    Come into the program with a positive attitude. Listen and follow the instructions provided should provide you a positive outcome.

I have experience riding mini-scooters and mini-dirt bikes at my friends cottage area.
    This helps with the previous quote above - as you already have some riding knowledge.

So, as an overview for the 3 day course, is this what is like:

fri 7-10 pm - lecture on safety, gears, license, concepts
    sat 8am-6pm - riding all day, getting used to the bike, following instructor's directions
    sun 8am-6pm, complete training, and the 10 part test, right? (timed area, roundabouts, etc.)
    Pretty much sums it up. However, the "test" is only 8 parts.

I got the M1 around march 3rd week (17th).

If I do get my M2 end of april, I still need to wait till May 17th to get my M2 officially at the MTO, right?

Can I start riding on the local roads, w/o any restrictions of M1 with the course certificate paper or I have to wait until I get the M2 TMP LIC paper from the MTO?
    Until you process the paperwork provided by the college you must ride under the restrictions of your M1 permit. The earliest date for upgrade is the 61st day from when you got your M1. It is 61, as you must rider under the restrictions of the M1 for a full 60 days.

Good luck with it all. When are you taking your course?

Hi again,

thanks for your information.

I am planning to take the course end of April weekend or beginning of the May weekend.

You have to wait until you get your actual license to ride by M2 rules. You can't open the package they give you at the course so no way to prove to the cops that you actually got it done =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

A lot of Icon gear is more about style then protection. Not to say that they don't make quality stuff but their low end gear is not impressive aside from pretty colours and patterns.

Helmet - do yourself a favour and buy a fibre composite instead of thermoplastic like the one you mentioned.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Thanks again for your input.

I visited the cycle world store, tried on some gears. I came to the conclusion, that the Joe Rocket Meteror 10.0 jacket is pretty hype.

Your're right about the Hooligan from Icon, it is more comfortable, but if I do fall down or crash, I rather be with Meteror than Icon, Style vs. Safety.

Also, tired on the Boots, from icon - Accerlerant - it's is good as well.

now, for the helmet, I am considering the higher expensive, Domain series from Icon. It's going for $309.99 (reduced from $549.99) ... what do you think of the Domain series compared the original one that I was interested, which is the Alliance SSR series?

The guy at the store told me, about the gloves that is required for the course, now, the gloves are ranging from $35-85 dollars. But for the course, he told me go get gardening gloves from Home Depot, would this work: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Wo...atalogId=10053

Hi Guys!

Icon Sub Stealth GlovesColor $51.63
    Icon Alliance SSR Solid HelmetColor $158.05
    Icon Accelerant Waterproof Motorcycle BootsColor $152.96
    (subject to change - might get something from Marks Warehouse)
    Icon Hooligan 2 Mesh JacketColor CA$176.65
    $566.25 - total

Now, I also read this forum article on the first bike, I decided go for the Ninja 250R.

My friend and I are going for the same course, and he already got the bike - Ninja 250R, I am still looking for my own (funds kind of tight at the moment).
    O.K. Whats wrong with this picture?
    The OP is going to drop 600 bucks for gear just to take the M2 course.
    The OP is unsure whether they can afford a bike, or a 250 R---tight funds?
    Recommendation: OP figure out whether you can or should be riding. If you can't come up with about 4 thousand bucks for an older bike, insurance, plating and some gear and possibly some repairs, in addition to your course costs, then you should wait. If you can't afford the bike of your dreams (or your buddy's dreams), then look for cheaper options. Never finance a bike. Check out Biketrader before you take the course to get a feel for prices. Always call the insurance company for a quote before you buy the bike. Taking the course & not being able to ride will only frustrate you. You'd be surprised at the number of people who take the course, only to years later, have to retake it (and repay for it) cause they never rode. Have you checked out the gear requirements posted on any of the m/c training sites--you're not going to be riding that hard or fast to need all the gear you want to buy. Investing in gear that will sit in the garage is even worse. You can more than get by with most things you probably already own: a jean jacket, a hoodie, some layered clothing, jean pants, hiking boots, wind pants, a dollar store rain poncho and gardening gloves. Only the helmet you will have to rent or buy. As you continue to ride you will collect more gear over time, and usually when its on sale. I trust that you've already booked and confirmed your course at Centennial, otherwise this is all just a dream...for this summer at least. Its one step at a time...don't start thinking about your M2 exit even before you've completed your M2. Circumstances change. Cheers!!
    P.S. I can't figure out what your Home Depot gloves are made of. Get LEATHER GLOVES...thick LEATHER GLOVES even the Dollar Store has thick leather gloves. Imagine doing a face plant into the pavement with your arms outstretched. Now figure out what you would want covering the palms of your hands, then look at your glove purchase. Also make sure if you're puchasing a helmet (instead of renting it) that it fits well before you buy it. Its like buying a pair of shoes. You have to stick them all on your head before you decide. So don't expect a comment about "this helmet is better than that one". Price & looks are not necessarily an indication of a good tight fit or personal comfort.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 04-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Got Torque?

Hey zoomerthe1,

I guess I'll try to make my earlier points clearly:

I got atleast 10,000.00 to spend on the bike + gears + course + license + plates, etc.

I got a quotation on the insurance from TD Melonex, coming to $190.00 a month - based on the 2010 Kawasaki Ninja, I am presuming 2005-2008 models would reduce the insurance even further.

The quotation given by the representative is based on the fact I have a clean record, no claims, no tickets / no accidents as she pulled my driving abstract that all insurance companies deal with. I have had my G over 5 years now, dating back to 2001/2002 (g2-g).

when I initially started, I decided on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, after much reading on the forums, plus personal recommendations from friends whom went thru what I am trying to do also.

Before, I posted on the forum, I went to the cycle store, noticed Helmets ($250-$1000), Jackets ($300-$600.00), Gloves($35-$90), Boots ($135-$250). So, as you can see, it's really crazy putting all these figures in place. That's why funds are tight, considering if I am going for the best of the best for everything, given the bike will be: $2500-$3000 (used), any initial maintenance that I need to do if the seller doesn't: $500.00 (reserved), $450.00 course, $500-$750 for gears + whatever it is for personalized plates & M2 license for 5 years / motorcycle registration + whatever it is going to be the insurance.

So, I wanted to go somewhere in the mid-price range of gears and work myself up.

Eventually, with experiences over the years, I want to get my full M License, and eventually get a Ducati 1198 series bike (that's in the long run, 2-3 years time, probably 2014/2015). By that time, I'll change my gears to the Ducati style.

I am not crazy to get a 600cc/1000cc bikes as my 1st bike, I don't want to die. I am going ride the 250cc for 1-2 years until I get comfortable.

Only reason I wanted to consider the M2 exit for M next year fall, because I don't want to pick up any bad habits and fail the test.

I am a person whom likes to finish the graduation system as soon as possible, otherwise, it'll be on my mind being stuck at M2 (considering passing M1 Exit for M2).
    Last edited by gobu; 04-19-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks Gobu, you've cleared up a lot of things for me. My approach comes from speaking to a lot of young would-be riders who are still in school with no discretionary income, who have some strange notion that riding is cheaper (& sexier) than car ownership. And who haven't put an ounce of thought into the matter.
    Your finances appear to be more than adequate for a new rider.
    From your other postings you seem to have some background in riding.
    However, do you really want or need to start off with a new bike, especially a Ninja 250.
    Now your going to get a lot of different views here:
    Any first bike will probably get dropped by the owner. (now granted I don't know your abilities or prior experience).
    Buying a used Ninja 250 is a roll of the dice as they tend to have the snot ridden out of them.
    You'll soon get bored with a 250, so you'll be moving up into a bigger bike in a short time--usually one season-- so you might as well just buy a bigger bike. Highway riding on a 250 is doable, but is it enjoyable? Are you even going to do any highway riding? Same with group riding. Don't equate engine size with how forgiving the bike is. A Goldwing is a very forgiving bike, but due to its weight and physical size probably isn't the first choice for a beginner...there are many factors.
    Whats good for me, may not be whats good for you.
    Thats why I advise a "get your feet wet" approach first. Don't invest too much before you make the decision you want and can afford to ride. Demo rides are a good way of getting to know a variety of machines, but you'll need your license first and in many cases your M license. If you can't demo at least go to a dealership and sit on every bike they have. Best of luck.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 04-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Got Torque?

Thanks for your understanding, zoomerthe1.

Trust me, when I initially thought about getting into the motorcycle industry, my mind is blowing with 1000cc/2000cc bikes, super fast riding down the highway, doing wheelies, impressing girls, etc. I am not lying, I actually wanted to jump so fast in this motorcycle world, I was imagining doing 150-200 km/h on HWY 401. Feeling the wind I suppose.

But after much reading on forums, stories that I heard from personal friends and co-workers, I knew that would not be the smart move at all. If I follow my obession as I indicated above, I would be digging my own grave.

But I do not lie, I do admit that I was thinking like all the typical newbies out there, but in the end it stopped of one thing: LIFE, and I want to live it to the fullest.

There is a famous quote that I picked up on this forum: "This is going to be your first bike, don't make it your last bike".

And you are right, I will eventually get bored of the 250. I heard it is very easy to sell the 250s, so, I am looking at the sales part of this forum for potential 250s as a beginning bike, my budget is set between $2500-$3000.00 , that is well maintained by a previous owner.

And you are right again, I do have a chance of dropping my bike, I'll admit, I probably would do so. So, I want to learn on a used bike. I would like to (in time) ride on the HWY-401, as I work in Mississauga from Scarborough. Right now, I take my 5series to work everyday. I'll start practicing on the weekends, during earlier time before traffic volume picks up.

So, going back, I just want to make sure I got everything covered for the Centential Motorcycle Course to get the M2.

Thanks.

Get a used Ninja 250 (previous generation by the looks of your budget). Damn tough bikes and good, reliable engines. Most problems can be solved by cleaning the carbs and a good oil change. Look for one with the least amount of previous owners, and a good amount of mileage vs years on the road (ie: not too low, but not too high either).

As for gear, buy the best stuff you can afford. Cheap out on the first bike all you want, but not on the gear. With that said, last time I was at GP bikes in Ajax (2 weekends ago), their Shark lids were going for 75% off. With a regular retail of $399.95 for their high end RSR2 you're looking at around $100...provided they still have this sale going on. The Shark RSR2/RSX is one of the best helmets you can get.

Edit: oh and learn how to fix the bike on your own. Ninja 250 is as easy as it gets. It'll save you a crap load of money in the long (and short) run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Okay I just have to say one thing.

It is GEAR not GEARS.

Gears are in a transmission.

You wear gear!

Ahhhhhhhhh, had to get that off my chest!

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Quote Originally Posted by taximan62 View Post
    You wear gear!

I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Ha! True said ...

Don't waste your money on garden gloves and get some protection! There are leather Teknic or Joe Rocket gloves with knuckle guards for $30 online. Or find an older model in one of the local stores and bargain. Check kijiji too. A lot of people sell new stuff because it doesn't fit them properly.

Helmet wise, I don't know much about Icon but this is where I would try to get the best I can afford. I have a Shark RSR2 and Shark RSX - both great.

Your insurance quote is nuts!. Even if you're under 25, it should be lower for a Ninja 250 (doesn't matter what year btw) TD sucks for bike insurance. Try State Farm or Jevco.

You can get a good 250 for $2,000 if you search a bit and bargain. Around 10 years old or so. Next year you can sell it for the same or $100 less.

If you find a Kawasaki ZZR-250, take it over Ninja 250 if it's similar price. They were a bit better.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold