Bike Camping? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bike Camping?

Re: Bike Camping?

Offroading to my buddies cabin.

Notice the Mickey's beer strapped on, great form factor for on bike carrying (stubbies).

And my motopak luggage (minus the tailbag, was loaded for two up). GTS-60 saddle bags and GT-35 tank bag. I really love this stuff.

I imagine a lil tent and sleeping bag would fit above those side bags nicely... Have yet to do a straight camping trip on the bike.
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2
    2001 Kawasaki EX250-H (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
    Can someone recommend a good saddle bag/ luggage system for me to take the new R6 camping??
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    although I'm not into SS bikes that is a Sharpe looking set up

THat is one hell of a trailer setup.

I don't do the camping thing. I do the motel thing. Though sometimes i'm tempted, cause on a 5 day trip, motels add up. But my ride really isn't set up to stack & strap 60lbs of equipment to it.

But that trailer dealy has me thinking. . .did you make it, or who's the vendor?
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

After dragging camping gear for 2, for a 5000km east coast trip, last year... and not camping at all. (shitey weather)
    I've decided to get some camping trips in just for the practice.
    Here is my campsite from this last Easter long weekend.

The sidecar comes in handy for camping especially without a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckerjay View Post
    THat is one hell of a trailer setup.

I don't do the camping thing. I do the motel thing. Though sometimes i'm tempted, cause on a 5 day trip, motels add up. But my ride really isn't set up to stack & strap 60lbs of equipment to it.

But that trailer dealy has me thinking. . .did you make it, or who's the vendor?
    www.thridwheeltrailers.com

Cost me about the same as nice italian hard luggage setup with 2 saddlebags and one trunk, rack and lighting. With a few benefits OVER hard luggage that I hadn't counted on, but enjoy nontheless.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
    Offroading to my buddies cabin.

Notice the Mickey's beer strapped on, great form factor for on bike carrying (stubbies).

And my motopak luggage (minus the tailbag, was loaded for two up). GTS-60 saddle bags and GT-35 tank bag. I really love this stuff.

I imagine a lil tent and sleeping bag would fit above those side bags nicely... Have yet to do a straight camping trip on the bike.
    HEY THAT IS ONLY A 24?! how long were you staying for? like 4 hours?
    you need more provisions!
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

i love camping on the bike heres my set up.

My cousin's set up...works for him

Quote Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
    Can someone recommend a good saddle bag/ luggage system for me to take the new R6 camping??
    Check out the Ventura luggage system. Thats what I use.

This is a picture of when I was in the Adirondacks last summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adirondack trip 027.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    You do realize your bungee net aproach endagers others, right? I was following a buddy with the same approach when a 2liter jug of juice slipped out. Yes I was a safe distance and it was only an entertaining spectacle but you get the point.

As for bike caming, I don't think it gets much better. It takes a bit of space but a folding camp chair is worth the effort.
    Bungie was to help condense. Other straps held it on. It was more than secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    Bungie was to help condense. Other straps held it on. It was more than secure.
    On that note...I've been looking for some good luggage straps. What's everybody using and where to get'em?

Hard bags are the way to go in my opinion. Had enough of soft bags and strapping things all over the place. This is my new camping setup I used this weekend. 55L dry bag. Fits my tent, sleeping mat, camping pillow (compresses very small) and 3 light +10 sleeping bags. Had the left case completely empty save for my 1 piece rain suit. Works very well, easy to remove and put back on again when packed on the site. Completely watertight on all accounts. Nothing worse then unpacking soaking wet cloths or sleep bags. Givi is one place to look. Though depends on the type of bike you have.

Last edited by wonderings; 04-18-2010 at 07:34 PM.

I'm so impressed with everyone's packing!

i'm hoping to take a small trip on the bike this summer

Quote Originally Posted by joyinc View Post
    I'm so impressed with everyone's packing!

i'm hoping to take a small trip on the bike this summer
    It can become addicting. Packing all you need on just your bike, no trailers, just bags and your back seat. OVer the years I pack less and less, realising I need less and less. I used to have both left and right panniers full packet out, now its basically 1 and the other is used for gloves, shoes and rain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by m.breen View Post
    On that note...I've been looking for some good luggage straps. What's everybody using and where to get'em?
    Rok Straps. Nylon webbing with a stretchy bit sewn in at one end and loops at each end for securing. You'll never use a bungee again.

R
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post

I think you should trade me those nice spoke wheels for my alloys. No? Why not?

Edit to add: What crashbars are those?
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    I think you should trade me those nice spoke wheels for my alloys. No? Why not?

Edit to add: What crashbars are those?
    I dont like alloys.... so I think I will pass on that offer

They are Hepco & Becker crash bars. They are great bars, and they look better then the other ones in my opinion. Kinda has the GSA look, and its the closest I will get to owning a GSA for the next few years till I am ready for a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    Hard bags are the way to go in my opinion. Had enough of soft bags and strapping things all over the place. This is my new camping setup I used this weekend. 55L dry bag. Fits my tent, sleeping mat, camping pillow (compresses very small) and 3 light +10 sleeping bags. Had the left case completely empty save for my 1 piece rain suit. Works very well, easy to remove and put back on again when packed on the site. Completely watertight on all accounts. Nothing worse then unpacking soaking wet cloths or sleep bags. Givi is one place to look. Though depends on the type of bike you have.
    The last time out my setup was similar setup to yours, although I don't think putting the tent in the same bag as the sleeping bags is a god idea.

I think that my next time out I'll be able to leave the side cases at home. My sleeping bags and pillows will fit in a dry bag on the back seat, my tent will be in a second dry bag (much smaller) and everything else should fit in my Givi 52 litre topcase. It looks like I can dispense with raingear this year as my Roadcrafter has shown to be waterproof. That means my topcase can carry everything else with room to spare.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Anyone know a good place to purchase a sleeping bag thats warm but still folds up really small?

oh and a good small tent too... mine is HUGE... I'd hate to have to lug it on a bike lol