Bike Camping? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bike Camping?

Re: Bike Camping?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    As for a stool, I am going to be buying this from mec:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1271688790277

I'd rethink that stool. After a long day in the saddle a seat with a back on it makes a lot of sense. At least I appreciate mine big time. Also 60$ for chinese quality is just sooo wrong. My chair was about 15$ at CTC.
    You have a link for the chair you are using? I am wanting something very small and compact. I have a big fold out chair, very comfy, but very bulky and not intended for motorcycle touring.

I just picked up one of these just before my last trip.
    Extremely comfortable and a bit pricey, but designed for motorcycle camping. It isn't particularly light but is does fold up very compactly.

http://www.kermitchair.com/

This is my setup. Clothing goes in one saddlebag, tools and sundry things go in the other saddlebag and everything camping related goes in the drybag. Tent, sleeping pad, food, mess kit, tarp, etc.

I was good for two weeks like this.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post

This is my setup. Clothing goes in one saddlebag, tools and sundry things go in the other saddlebag and everything camping related goes in the drybag. Tent, sleeping pad, food, mess kit, tarp, etc.

Thats exactly what a bike should look like! Love it. What are you using for your mess kit? That is something I have not delved into yet, but would like to eventually have some good portable items to make a half decent meal by a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    Thats exactly what a bike should look like! Love it. What are you using for your mess kit? That is something I have not delved into yet, but would like to eventually have some good portable items to make a half decent meal by a fire.
    When I buy my gear, I probably over-analyze things. The primary consideration is size - not so much weight.

I don't recall the name of my cookware set, but it consists of a small pot (for boiling water), a larger pot (for stews / noodles / whatever) and a frying pan (because bacon is awesome) and lids for all of the above. For single-person camping, I find that's all I really need.

I have some sort of an MSR set of plates and cups which stack together really well. All I need is a bowl, a plate, a double-walled cup and utensils.

The stove I have is a coleman single-burner, but it's a multi-fuel model that I can run using regular gas. This is key, because I don't have to ever worry about carrying fuel with me. I avoid the space that a fuel canister takes up, and as long as I have gas in my tank and a tube for siphoning, I always have fuel. And when I'm done, I pour the extra fuel from the stove back into my gas tank and I'm good to go. No mess, no waste.

I like the dehydrated backpacker's food. But I also bring instant coffee, coffeemate whitener, pb&j, tortillas, bacon (which is good for a few days out of the fridge due to the salt content) and eggs (in one of those yellow backpacker's traveller's cases, which I had limited success. Eggs kept breaking due to vibration of the bike).

I ate lunches on the road, cooked my own dinners, and either made breakfast or had leftover dinner in the morning. I swear by the SIAT cooking method, which stands for **** In A Tortilla. It turns anything in to a breakfast food.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.

Hearing good things about Mountain House freeze dried food. I like the idea of just adding hot water and eating out of the bag. No mess, save a fork or spoon. And just need hot water. The price of a meal is reasonable as well. Going to order a few and give them a try.

That's pretty much what my FZ6 looks like when I leave except my saddle bags are soft style.

AND I'm using sheepskin instead of the beads. Nothing sexes up a modern sport bike like a some dirty sheepskin!

How do you like the beads? I'm thinking of trying those.
    ride - if you want to

You have a link for the chair you are using? I am wanting something very small and compact. I have a big fold out chair, very comfy, but very bulky and not intended for motorcycle touring.
    I don't have a link. It's quite literally a cheapo crappy tire folding camp chair w/o arms. It is a bit bulky (maybe 24" long x 6" diameter folded) but so worth it at the end of the day.
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    That's pretty much what my FZ6 looks like when I leave except my saddle bags are soft style.

AND I'm using sheepskin instead of the beads. Nothing sexes up a modern sport bike like a some dirty sheepskin!

How do you like the beads? I'm thinking of trying those.
    I love the beads. I've had them on 4 different bikes, and wouldn't take a long distance trip without them, no matter how great the seat was.

In the rain, they provide a gap so that you don't sit in a puddle on the seat.
    In the hot, the gap allows for airflow to help with monkeybutt.
    The beads provide a variation in contact points, stimulating circulation.
    They're cheap and cheerful, and cost way less than an aftermarket seat.

They look a little funny, and I got more comments / questions on them than on anything else while I'm on the road, but I swear by them.

I love the beads. I've had them on 4 different bikes, and wouldn't take a long distance trip without them, no matter how great the seat was.

In the rain, they provide a gap so that you don't sit in a puddle on the seat.
    In the hot, the gap allows for airflow to help with monkeybutt.
    The beads provide a variation in contact points, stimulating circulation.
    They're cheap and cheerful, and cost way less than an aftermarket seat.

They look a little funny, and I got more comments / questions on them than on anything else while I'm on the road, but I swear by them.
    Are the beads specific to the bike or something from CTC that you cobbled to fit? I'll likely be trying to set myself up with some soon. The FZ seat is just an apolstered brick, I'm sure.
    ride - if you want to

It's not bike specific. Google bike beads or biker beads and you can find a couple of options.

It's not bike specific. Google bike beads or biker beads and you can find a couple of options.
    Just what I am looking for, thanks. The link is http://www.beadrider.com

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Algonquin on my 250 a few weekends ago....I did not expect it to be as cold as it was at night

2009 Ninja 250r SE
    2001 Kx 125

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman250r View Post
    Algonquin on my 250 a few weekends ago....I did not expect it to be as cold as it was at night

yah the nights are a bit cool still, even more so the further you get north. With the right gear those its always enjoyable though. Was camping last weekend out in St. Williams, woke up to some snow fall, but was nice and warm in my tent, nothing quite like it. Add a roaring fire and its heaven.

yah the nights are a bit cool still, even more so the further you get north. With the right gear those its always enjoyable though. Was camping last weekend out in St. Williams, woke up to some snow fall, but was nice and warm in my tent, nothing quite like it. Add a roaring fire and its heaven.
    There is a big temperature difference from Toronto area.

Even this morning there was some left over frost in the shade around my place (Mount Albert) but the temp was up to +2 when I hopped on my bike to get home. By the time I got to work (in Woodbridge) the temp was +11.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Yeah I have decent gear from many years of camping as a kid...but as you can see the ice hadn't even left the lakes up there yet...It was 0 degrees that night.
    2009 Ninja 250r SE
    2001 Kx 125

Last year in April when we went into the back country of Algo via canoe it rained the whole time going in around 5C. Saturday it was 9 and sunny and Sunday there was snow on our tents and tarps when we woke up.... and fluries throughout the day. Monday was nice, 15C and sunny, we was tanning and swimming in the water. Well the boys were, the girls were huddling by the fire still :P

rocketman you went to algonquin last weekend? damn i went to killarney in september 2 years ago and it was freezing, had to pack it up in the middle of the night and sleep in a 24h mcdonalds lol.

Banned

I have to stop reading this thread because FZ1s are under $7k in the US right now and I already bought a new bike end of last season!! ugh

I love bike camping I try to do it as often as I can
    if there is anyone from KW looking to team up for a trip or anything let me know