Bike Camping?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Camping?

Bike Camping?

I love Camping while touring on my bike, its a cheap way to travel around, are there lots of others in here who do the same?
    Last edited by Rainbow_rider; 04-16-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Re: Bike Camping?

I stay at Econo-lodges..... urban camping

Whats "bike camping" ?
    96 GSXR 750

I camp while on trips with my bike too. Its pretty hilarious looking to be riding two-up with full camping gear, food and clothes on a motorcycle that was clearly not designed for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianBarbarian View Post
    Whats "bike camping" ?
    It's when you buy a $20,000 bmw motorcycle because regular motorcycles can't drive on gravel roads, pile $5,000 of camping gear into your $2,000 panniers and you go to an RV park with all your buddies and their $20,000 bmw motorcycles and talk about how cool "the long way round" was and how much money you're saving by not staying in a hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    It's when you buy a $20,000 bmw motorcycle because regular motorcycles can't drive on gravel roads, pile $5,000 of camping gear into your $2,000 panniers and you go to an RV park with all your buddies and their $20,000 bmw motorcycles and talk about how cool "the long way round" was and how much money you're saving by not staying in a hotel.
    OR

$500 F2. It CAN go on gravel
    $400 Backpack. A nice one that allows you to move your body in turns
    $500 for sleeping bag, bivy and a nice fleece

Laughing at all the tools that go camping with a minivan packed with inflatable mattresses, extension cords for heaters and a tent that is for 10 people... PRICELESS

where did you get an f2 for $500????? dang

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    where did you get an f2 for $500????? dang
    An F2 with under 10k for $500. On the down side the body was in very poor condition. The dude went to the US and left the bike in his parents garage.

I enjoy camping, in fact going camping this weekend on the bike along with about 5 others in the Port Rowan area. All my bags are packed at home, just itching to leave work in 20 mins and load the bike up. Have a nice 55L dry bag that I stuff my tent, sleeping matt and 3 spring sleeping bags into. I am always amazed at how much storage I have on my GS. I thought I over packed slightly, but I still have 1 full case empty and they are not even expanded to there full size. The only down side is it looks rainy this weekend, trying to get out there before the rain hits. Nothing worse then setting up tents in the rain in a hurry to get the rain covers over.

I used to bike camp to Vancouver every year for eight years. Now I just stick to Ontario and pull a small trailer for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by m.breen View Post
    I used to bike camp to Vancouver every year for eight years. Now I just stick to Ontario and pull a small trailer for convenience.
    I have been going down to PA, VA, WV and over to the Adirondacks and NH for most of my trips. I will be heading out to Colorado for a week come end of June or early July. Going to ride up Mt. Evans and back again. 5000 kms in 9 days. Planning to camp the majority of the time, but will probably hotel it if its raining heavy.

I've posted this before on GTAM, but can't resist again. Here is my bike packed for camping on a two-up trip to Algonquin.

LOL, I love the bag on the front windshield, I bet that really helps with the aerodynamics. better hope its tight, it would hurt hitting you in the face. but good job packing all that stuff on

Nothing better then a fully loaded motorcycle. Mine is a bit tidier then yours, but I have the bags for it

Thought about the bike camping thing, but the security of my stuff always concerned me...

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_rider View Post
    LOL, I love the bag on the front windshield, I bet that really helps with the aerodynamics. better hope its tight, it would hurt hitting you in the face. but good job packing all that stuff on
    Oddly enough it was fine. I'd rather not do that again obviously, but it worked. And even when pushing the max weight capacity, the bike handled fine and got great gas mileage.

I did however kill my rear sprocket that weekend. It got ground down hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    Nothing better then a fully loaded motorcycle. Mine is a bit tidier then yours, but I have the bags for it

Man that looks like NFLD!

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    Man that looks like NFLD!
    A little bits away, that was somewhere in West Virginia on my way to Virginia.

I haven't done a lot of bike camping but am doing more each year. The last time was at a bike gathering in Ohio. I have to say that this was more like staying in a tent as opposed to actually camping.This pic was first thing in the morning. There was a low fog over everything and the sun was just about to come up. It was nice quiet mood moment:

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

The bag on the windshield is pure win.