M1 at Downsview

Thread: M1 at Downsview

M1 at Downsview

Hello all,

Just had a quick question for everyone. Has anyone written the M1 test at Downsview? If you have, was it a computer test or sit down write test? I'm planning on going Friday morning, before they open at 8:30am. I just want to be prepared for a wait for what to expect.

Thanks,

Re: M1 at Downsview

Its a written test. Be prepared to answer questions for both motorcycle and vehicle.

I know what to expect as I've been studying everyday for over 2 weeks, just don't know what to expect at the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalx View Post
    I know what to expect as I've been studying everyday for over 2 weeks, just don't know what to expect at the place.
    When I took M1 I was at a different locations, but basically they put you in a room, give you 3 sheets of paper with multiple choice questions, you fill in the answer sheet, give it back to them, they score it and tell you if you passed or failed.

It's a written test, like at school.

Edit: And if you pass, they give you a piece of paper that you take to another window in the same office and they print out the M1 for you. You don't get a plastic card for that.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Pay attention to G1 part. Sometime have to refresh it. Mostly for G1 drivers limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by xplorer View Post
    Pay attention to G1 part. Sometime have to refresh it. Mostly for G1 drivers limitation.
    Heh.. I failed on that the first time. They told me that most of the M1's that fail, fail exactly on that part... :P

I've been paying closer attention to that part because I've been told by others they said the same thing. I guess I should bring some reading material then in case it's a VERY long wait. I'm hoping that the test is computer based, like my G1, so I can know if I passed right their and then.

Also, if I fail, can I line right up a take the test again? And if I fail a section, they'll tell me which section correct? Just not which questions.

Hello all,

Just had a quick question for everyone. Has anyone written the M1 test at Downsview? If you have, was it a computer test or sit down write test? I'm planning on going Friday morning, before they open at 8:30am. I just want to be prepared for a wait for what to expect.

Thanks,
    I did my G1 at Downsview in Feb on my 16th birthday. I went at 9:30, and I was out of there by like 12.
    A month later during the March break, I happened to have morning practice at York U and on the way down i decided to do my M1. I was there by 8:00, and although there were people already lined up (mostly to do their DriveTest) I was the first one to do and pass my M1, and was out of there in 15 mins.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say the "G1 part" because when I did it, there were only 20 questions strictly about motorcycles. Maybe it's because I had my G1 already?

Anyways, if you want specific details: go to the front desk, tell the secretary you want to do your M1, he'll give you a ticket/slip (no idea what those things are called), and you wait your turn. Once your turn comes up, go to those desks where they take your picture, fill out the info/take pictures/do your eye exam (if you don't yet have a license). They'll give you a sheet of paper, you go to a room (i forget what it looks like but you won't miss it), hand in that sheet, they'll give you the test and a pencil, you sit down do it, and hand it in. They'll make you wait a bit, and once they've marked it and you (hopefully) pass, they'll give you a paper that says you have your M1. Depending on the person, they'll let your review your mistakes.

Important: If you plan on taking a MSF (which will give you your M2) course, tell whoever is at the desk where you take your picture. This way, you only pay (i think) $10 for your written test. If you don't, you'll end up paying $50+ for your written + drive test for your M2.

Hope this helps. Goodluck! It's better to wait 30 mins outside than to spend 3 hours inside. Trust me.
    "It's not who you are that's stopping you;
    It's who you think you're not."

Ride: 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250

I've been paying closer attention to that part because I've been told by others they said the same thing. I guess I should bring some reading material then in case it's a VERY long wait. I'm hoping that the test is computer based, like my G1, so I can know if I passed right their and then.

Also, if I fail, can I line right up a take the test again? And if I fail a section, they'll tell me which section correct? Just not which questions.
    If you fail they'll show you which questions and the answers. It's not computer based.
    Also if you fail, you'll have to go to the front desk again and get your slip and wait for your turn. Which takes a ******** of time cus it fills up quickly.
    There is more than one version of the M1 test.
    "It's not who you are that's stopping you;
    It's who you think you're not."

Ride: 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250

if you did your G1 not too long apart from M1, then you don't have to do G1 again.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

I wrote my M1 there

While I was writing it, some gigantic angry polish guy, who had clearly been driving trucks his whole life before coming to Canada, didn't know the english vocabulary on his stupid AZ test, and made a scene.

He tore a strip off the manager, and told him he was more worthless than a sack of s*** because a sack of s*** can be used to fertilize soil and is at least good for something, unlike the manager.

It made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    He tore a strip off the manager, and told him he was more worthless than a sack of s*** because a sack of s*** can be used to fertilize soil and is at least good for something, unlike the manager.
    Did he say that in English?

More importantly, did he leave the building untazed?

I did my M1 at Downsview near the end of Janurary and I can tell you that the waiting time is notoriously long. I had to wait 3 hours, but mind you, this was just after the strike ended so there was a huge backlog. I actually went back to Downsview this week to hand in my M2 and the lineup was only about an hour (during the afternoon).

The M1 consist of three sections: Motorcycle rules and knowledge, signs and rules of the road. Make sure you know your rules of the road section. It's the part where people fail the most. In the case that you fail your M1, you can write it again for $10 I believe. They will give you back the marked test temporarily so you can look at your mistakes. Also, if your doing a retest, you only have to redo the sections you failed, not the whole test again.

Hello all,
    I'm planning on going Friday morning, before they open at 8:30am. I just want to be prepared for a wait for what to expect.

Did you ever end up going? I'm thinking of going at 8:30 in the AM as well and want to know how long i'll be waiting.

Just a heads up, Its best to go at 7:30am as there is already a line up at 7:30am when i went today. By 8:30am the place was packed!!!!