Should i get a license now or later?

Thread: Should i get a license now or later?

Should i get a license now or later?

i am currently looking forward to getting a motorcycle sometime in 2011. Should i get my license ASAP with a riding course for the m2 and let it sit through 2010 so that my rates will become lower or get the license next year? Also does insurance company count riding experience from the date you get your license or how long you have been insured on a motorcycle?

Re: Should i get a license now or later?

Definitely get it now and do the course, the extra year on M1 will not hurt you in any way =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Quote Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
    i am currently looking forward to getting a motorcycle sometime in 2011. Should i get my license ASAP with a riding course for the m2 and let it sit through 2010 so that my rates will become lower or get the license next year? Also does insurance company count riding experience from the date you get your license or how long you have been insured on a motorcycle?
    You just answered your own question. Get your M1 now, your discount (sometimes over 50&#37 will kick in on the 1 year mark. Good luck!
    http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1015/batmanp.gif<--Badass

ya i was wondering about that because car experience counts by how long you have been insured. my older brother has to pay more than i do because i was insured earlier than him by a year. he got his g1 way before i did. we got our g2 at the same time roughly.

ya i was wondering about that because car experience counts by how long you have been insured. my older brother has to pay more than i do because i was insured earlier than him by a year. he got his g1 way before i did. we got our g2 at the same time roughly.
    Companies usually consider BOTH your insured experience and your years licensed (for both auto and motorcycles). The exception is Jevco who only considers years licensed. Usually your insured experience affects your premium much more than your years licensed, but in the case of Jevco, a year licensed is considered the same as a year insured. Everyone suggesting that you get your license this year is assuming that you will insure with Jevco next year (which is a pretty good recommendation).

FYI, from an insurance point of view, both you and your brother have been licensed for the same number of years. You are only credited with a maximum of one year of experience for your G1, regardless of how long you had it for. It's not wise to get your G1 and then not get your G2 as soon as you are eligible.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

in addition to the insurance benefit, the sooner you get your m2 the sooner you can ride your m test. once you have your M you don't have to worry about it expiring.
    x

They'll count your experience from the day you have a bike + insurance without canceling it once.

Thats how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Ducati View Post
    They'll count your experience from the day you have a bike + insurance without canceling it once.

Thats how it works.
    jevco counts by how long u have ur license...

jevco counts by how long u have ur license...
    Levco's a loser. We're considering the other companies, so majority wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Ducati View Post
    Levco's a loser. We're considering the other companies, so majority wins!
    there isnt many companyies to go to when u are 18....

i say you get your license now~ don't waste time. You will have 5 years once you get your M2, so you still got plenty of time to ride and get your M~

I think most of insurance company count both driving and riding exp, and from the date you purchase your insurance, not from the date you obtained your license. holding a license doesn't mean much, you are still not driving or riding.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

there isnt many companyies to go to when u are 18....
    True that.. Jev wont take you till you are 21? or was it having 1 year riding under your belt. I forgot, but yeah.....