Montreal insurance

Thread: Montreal insurance

Montreal insurance

Question for the insurance guys:

I have two Ontario registered vehicles, but are both insured in Montreal cause thats where they have been for past year or so but I'm bringing them back to the gta, are they still fine to drive with a Montreal insurance company or they have to be switched to an Ontario one..

Re: Montreal insurance

Quote Originally Posted by moto22 View Post
    Question for the insurance guys:

I have two Ontario registered vehicles, but are both insured in Montreal cause thats where they have been for past year or so but I'm bringing them back to the gta, are they still fine to drive with a Montreal insurance company or they have to be switched to an Ontario one..
    If you're bringing them to the GTA, then you must inform your insurer and the rate will be adjusted accordingly. Your rate depends on where the bikes are primarily operated. If you don't inform your insurer, then this is a pretty obvious case of misrepresentation when the time comes that you need to make a claim.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    If you're bringing them to the GTA, then you must inform your insurer and the rate will be adjusted accordingly. Your rate depends on where the bikes are primarily operated. If you don't inform your insurer, then this is a pretty obvious case of misrepresentation when the time comes that you need to make a claim.

OK so all i have to do is let them know about the move, and it's ok to stay and ride with that company, as i plan too take the bikes back to Montreal after the summer anyway.

Thanks for the response..
    Last edited by moto22; 04-14-2010 at 10:50 AM.

OK so all i have to do is let them know about the move, and it's ok to stay and ride with that company, as plan too take the bikes back to Montreal after the summer anyway.

Thanks for the response..
    In Québec, the mandatory coverages are through a Government insurance program. When you move to Ontario, you'll no longer be able to use the Québec Government insurance and will have to purchase mandatory coverages from a private insurer who provides insurance in Ontario.

If you are purchasing optional coverages from a private insurer in Québec, then there is a good chance that they can also provide you with optional coverages in Ontario, as well as the mandatory coverages.

Are you purchasing Collision and/or Comprehensive from a private insurer in Québec?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

In Québec, the mandatory coverages are through a Government insurance program. When you move to Ontario, you'll no longer be able to use the Québec Government insurance and will have to purchase mandatory coverages from a private insurer who provides insurance in Ontario.

If you are purchasing optional coverages from a private insurer in Québec, then there is a good chance that they can also provide you with optional coverages in Ontario, as well as the mandatory coverages.

Are you purchasing Collision and/or Comprehensive from a private insurer in Québec?
    Yes, it's a full coverage policy also a multi line with a car, life, and a home..I'll be staying in Mississauga for just the summer..
    Last edited by moto22; 04-14-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Just for the summer? You might even wanna keep your QC insurance if this is only a temporary trip. I was paying Toronto rates even though I spent 3 years in Sudbury. You might as well get ont he flip-side of that coin
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Just for the summer? You might even wanna keep your QC insurance if this is only a temporary trip. I was paying Toronto rates even though I spent 3 years in Sudbury. You might as well get ont he flip-side of that coin

Well dat i know, jus wanna know if it's legal to do that as the vehicles are registered in Ontario but when i took them too QC i insured them there, now im bringing them back for while just don't want any hassle from the local fuzz.. why QC insurance .. blah blah blah

Not saying its a good thing to do but I have been riding with my Alberta plates and Insurance for the past month. However my ALB sticker runs out at the end of May so i am going to be forced to switch over.

Oh I should add no problems from any fuzz...yet!!

It's not the fuzz you need to worry about, but the insurance company who can deny your claim when you're in a collision. When you purchase your policy, you agree to inform them of any material change in risk. Changing cities is a very big change in risk. Although you are in Ontario "just for the summer", this is the season where nearly your entire motorcycle premium is "used up". You must inform your insurer to protect yourself -- if they are OK with it, then you have done your due diligence.

It's not the fuzz you need to worry about, but the insurance company who can deny your claim when you're in a collision. When you purchase your policy, you agree to inform them of any material change in risk. Changing cities is a very big change in risk. Although you are in Ontario "just for the summer", this is the season where nearly your entire motorcycle premium is "used up". You must inform your insurer to protect yourself -- if they are OK with it, then you have done your due diligence.
    Great so other than letting the insurance company know, which i plan too, and they say it's fine, you can have Ontario plates and registration and Quebec insurance no problem then ???

My car is registered and plated in Ontario but, insured by a Quebec company.

There should be no issues with the fuzz. Just make sure you have a valid insurance slip that matches with the vehicle description on the ownership.

I've been involved in an collision on the 401 near Milton. OPP didn't question my insurance nor did they at the accident reporting centre.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    My car is registered and plated in Ontario but, insured by a Quebec company.

There should be no issues with the fuzz. Just make sure you have a valid insurance slip that matches with the vehicle description on the ownership.

I've been involved in an collision on the 401 near Milton. OPP didn't question my insurance nor did they at the accident reporting centre.

Thanks for the info ..

If you are being insured by "a Quebec insurance company" while living in Toronto, you are probably going to be charged the TORONTO rate for that company. For example, I work in Ontario, my company is based in Ontario, but we write insurance for all of the Canadian provinces. The rate you pay depends on the province you live in. Almost all Canadian insurance companies write business in multiple provinces with different sets of rates.

If you are being insured by "a Quebec insurance company" while living in Toronto, you are probably going to be charged the TORONTO rate for that company. For example, I work in Ontario, my company is based in Ontario, but we write insurance for all of the Canadian provinces. The rate you pay depends on the province you live in. Almost all Canadian insurance companies write business in multiple provinces with different sets of rates.

That's fine as long as im going to be covered, im good with that ....

Thanks again for all the useful info...
    Last edited by moto22; 04-15-2010 at 01:12 AM.

That's fine as long as im going to be covered, im good with that ....

Thanks again for all the useful info...
    There's only one way to know if you'll be covered and that is to ask your questions to your insurance company and get the responses in writing.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    There's only one way to know if you'll be covered and that is to ask your questions to your insurance company and get the responses in writing.
    OK I'll do that ... didn't even think about getting it in writing, thanks!