Odd insurance question

Thread: Odd insurance question

Odd insurance question

Okay. I am going to confess right here. I've been driving with a suspended license, and as a result got insurance dropped. I've saved up half the money I need to pay the fine and get my license back, but not enough. I live with my parents, but we have different insurance companies, and they decided to switch insurance companies. The insurance company called, said they wanted to by law had to run my plates, and saw that I didn't have insurance....

I didn't tell them anything, but they said they couldn't insure my parents until they got my insurance info. Is that true? What if I tell them the car is sitting there and it's won't be insured until a few months? Would that work?

Re: Odd insurance question

Ouch....

Ask for an exluded driver endorsement, "28A". Companies do not like this because you will not be rated for in terms of premium, BUT if you were injured in an accident while in the vehicle when your dad was driving, they would be on the hook for your Accident Benefits.

Call back and see what they can do for you, but I'm sure you've already learned your lesson (I hope). Instead of spending $150 to reinstate the suspended license your on the hook for a huge fine.
    Hytham Bayoumi
    Client Executive
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

Direct: 416-908-1865
    hbayoumi@pottruffsmith.com

Stop driving. You have a suspended license and you're breaking the law.

I suppose I don't need to tell you that you are also violating your insurance policy and will screwed in the event of a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by jameschang View Post
    they said they couldn't insure my parents until they got my insurance info. Is that true? What if I tell them the car is sitting there and it's won't be insured until a few months? Would that work?
    Yes it is true. The application for insurance asks if there are any other licensed drivers in the household. Your parents would have answered yes, and are then required to provide details. Normally the details would simply be the other drivers license number and policy number. When your parents company runs your drivers license number they'll find that you're suspended and that you have no insurance. Because you have access to your parents vehicles, they can insist on your being excluded from the policy.

I think you need to have a chat with your folks. Better they hear all of this from you than from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    Yes it is true. The application for insurance asks if there are any other licensed drivers in the household. Your parents would have answered yes, and are then required to provide details. Normally the details would simply be the other drivers license number and policy number. When your parents company runs your drivers license number they'll find that you're suspended and that you have no insurance. Because you have access to your parents vehicles, they can insist on your being excluded from the policy.

I think you need to have a chat with your folks. Better they hear all of this from you than from someone else.
    if he's suspended is he licenced?
    x

Quote Originally Posted by jameschang View Post
    I didn't tell them anything, but they said they couldn't insure my parents until they got my insurance info. Is that true? What if I tell them the car is sitting there and it's won't be insured until a few months? Would that work?

The insurance company has the right to refuse to offer a policy if the applicant does not disclose all the information relevant to the evaluation of the risk. This includes information about licensed operators in a household.

Even if you “told” the insurance company that you are not currently driving, your driver license will still need to be provided. With that they will run your driving history and find out about the suspension. If you do not disclose the suspension, they can void/cancel the policy.

With that said, please don’t drive / ride without insurance and/or a license. Not only are you putting yourself at risk financially, but you are putting other people at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    if he's suspended is he licenced?

If he's suspended, then he still has a license, it just has been suspended. This would still need to be disclosed to the insurance company. At that point they would take appropriate action ( i.e. adjust rates, cancel the policy, insist on a excluded driver endorsement).