CBR600 F4i Insurance Question

Thread: CBR600 F4i Insurance Question

Question CBR600 F4i Insurance Question

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how insurance companies rate CBR600 F4i's? Are they considered supersports? and if not, how much more "risky" would they be as opposed to a ninja 250? Or do some companies consider them supersports, while others do not?

I have an '08 Ninja 250 at the moment but am just thinking ahead for the future. I'm 21 w/ M2 and am with SF currently, and know that a supersport is out of the question, so I'm just looking at other options.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but just seeing if I can get an answer here.

Thanks.

Re: CBR600 F4i Insurance Question

it's an SS.

for me, 23 clean license, through state farm its 1100/ year no collision.

24 y/o, one minor ticket on my record.. 2001 F4i, 2300/ year through Facility. 2800/year through SF.

SF offered me a cheaper deal if I put one of my cars or home with them however their rates on my cars are more then double what I'm currently paying through Cooperators group ins so its not worth the savings for the bike.

To give you an idea about the 250, I pay $700/year on my 250 vs the $2300/year for the F4i.

Turning 25 AND the ticket drops off my record this year! Next year rates should be good.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Quote Originally Posted by 3forcarter View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how insurance companies rate CBR600 F4i's? Are they considered supersports? and if not, how much more "risky" would they be as opposed to a ninja 250? Or do some companies consider them supersports, while others do not?

I have an '08 Ninja 250 at the moment but am just thinking ahead for the future. I'm 21 w/ M2 and am with SF currently, and know that a supersport is out of the question, so I'm just looking at other options.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but just seeing if I can get an answer here.

Thanks.
    You are with State Farm already, which means you qualify. They do not distinguish between Cruiser, Sport, etc. so you won't get dinged with a 300% surcharge. Please post your before and after premiums after you call your agent.

You might find this helpful as well:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    You are with State Farm already, which means you qualify. They do not distinguish between Cruiser, Sport, etc. so you won't get dinged with a 300% surcharge. Please post your before and after premiums after you call your agent.
    So I emailed my agent and she replied with these numbers:

$258/month = $3096/year for no liability
    and
    $330/month = $3960/year for full coverage

I'm paying $1944/year ($162/month) right now for Full Coverage on my '08 ninja 250...What would you guys recommend because I will eventually want to move to a bigger bike.

Do you guys usually go with the full coverage?? I wouldnt mind dishing out the extra $90-100 a month (just go out less haha) for an upgrade but that would mean just no liability.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by 3forcarter; 04-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.

I was quoted a few dollars more per month for a 2002 CBR600F4i than my 1986 VF500F
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

So I emailed my agent and she replied with these numbers:

$258/month = $3096/year for no liability
    and
    $330/month = $3960/year for full coverage

I'm paying $1944/year ($162/month) right now for Full Coverage on my '08 ninja 250...What would you guys recommend because I will eventually want to move to a bigger bike.

Do you guys usually go with the full coverage?? I wouldnt mind dishing out the extra $90-100 a month (just go out less haha) for an upgrade but that would mean just no liability.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    I think you mean "No Collision/Comprehensive" . . . Liability and Accident Benefits are mandatory

Here are my suggestions to you:

1.) Once one year has elapsed from the date that you got your M1, try quoting with Jevco to make sure that you aren't paying more than you have to on the Ninja 250.

2.) Wait until you're 25yo to get a SS . . . it becomes much cheaper. Unless money is no obstacle, money like that can be put to much better use at your age.

3.) Your decision to pruchase Collision/Comprehensive depends on the value of your bike, your personal financial situation, your personal risk assessment, and your appetite for risk. SS's are commonly stolen, so I would suggest at least buying Comprehensive. I personally don't bother with Collision, but I can afford the $5K to replace my bike if I trash it (and also consider myself less likely to trash my bike than others on the road).
    Last edited by VifferFun; 04-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I think you mean "No Collision/Comprehensive" . . . Liability and Accident Benefits are mandatory
    Oh haha yeah I meant liability only.

For the most part, do most riders in ontario have full coverage? Or do they just go with no collision/comp?

Thanks.

Oh haha yeah I meant liability only.

For the most part, do most riders in ontario have full coverage? Or do they just go with no collision/comp?

Thanks.
    I haven't checked, but Comprehensive (i.e. Fire and Theft) would likely be much more popular than Collision. If a bike is financed, the the financing company will require full coverage to protect themselves in case you default on the loan in the event of a collision/theft/fire.