New in Toronto, looking for some help.

Thread: New in Toronto, looking for some help.

New in Toronto, looking for some help.

Hi,

I am Saswata, originally from India and came to Toronto from Germany. I was a rider in my country, and motorbikes were always my favourite mode of transport. So looking to buy a ride in Toronto( nothing big and powerful, just a cheap city commuter). But I am bit confused while checking about used bikes, not about the mechanical part, but about the paperwork and everything.

My question is
    1. What is certified and non certified bikes?
    2. What are the paperwork I need to do before/after buying a bike ( I know about license)? what is the cost involved?
    3. What paperwork should a used bike have? Like Tax, insurance etc.

I will be really glad about any insight you can provide me on this. You got a really nice community out here!

Re: New in Toronto, looking for some help.

See answers in Red

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post

1. What is certified and non certified bikes?

Certificate issued by a licenced shop to clear your bike for road use, also called a "safety". Some sellers sell the vehicle as is and therefore you are on the hook for anything the vehicle may need to be certified to go on the road "new tires, lights and so on". I wouldnt buy a bike without a safety even if I need to pay for it myself before I actually buy the bike. Seller should be o.k. to get his bike safetied or else you know somethings up with it unless teh seller doesnt want the hassle in which case I would walk away "just me".

2. What are the paperwork I need to do before/after buying a bike ( I know about license)? what is the cost involved?

You need a safety certificate (see above) and insurance to plate the motorcycle but not to buy it, not sure about the safety price (around 80 bucks I think) but check insurance prices before you buy, you might be surprised at the price and in some cases need to pay the whole year up front. If you just want to buy it and leave it in a garage for some time, all you need is the bill of sale and a UVIP package. 20 dollars for the UVIP package, some sellers dont have it but you will need it to transfer the registration over to your name.

3. What paperwork should a used bike have? Like Tax, insurance etc.

Besides the UVIP package it doesnt need anything to be purchased but to be plated you will need the safety, valid inssurance and a valid drivers licence. I will warn you that in Ontario you are not permitted to plate a "rebuilt" or "reconditioned" or re anything for that matter motorcycle and dont be fooled otherwise, some provinces are o.k. with it but not Ontario. The registration must show a clean title to be plated. The seller will be able to tell you this for sure, if not, on the registration for the bike on the top left corner next to the VIN it should say something like "Brand/None" then it's a clean title.
    So all and all, UVIP package, safety certificate, Inssurance, drivers licence and your set to go.

The Uvip package is a great thing to get just in case there are leans on the motorcycle and so on.

Call and check different insurance places as the prices and payment options may change from one to another.

If I missed something someone will point it out.

Good luck and welcome to Canada!
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Thank you DaFrEnChGuy. That's really helpful. I will register for an training course maybe end of this month. Then will go hunting for a bike.

Thanks again for your help. Really appriciated.

Take care
    Sas

Welcome aboard and to Canada, Sas. Safety costs $80 if you have the mechanic do it on site (great guy to do it is Ted, just google "Rosey Toes 416" and you'll get his number. If you take it to a shop, it should run $40-60 depending on the shop, but it's cheaper and easier to just have Ted drop by and do it.
    If you're getting a small displacement bike, you may wanna PM Avi Singh (he's a member here, and his name is also his username on the forum). Even if he can't get you the best price, he'll give you the best advice.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

ask the seller to get UVIP, it seller's responsbility to purchase UVIP, so you have more understanding about the vehicle before you hand over your money.

see this link.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml

good luck!
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyrider View Post
    ask the seller to get UVIP, it seller's responsbility to purchase UVIP, so you have more understanding about the vehicle before you hand over your money.

see this link.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml

good luck!
    Definitely get the UVIP!! You may get a good deal on th bike and save some money, but then your bike gets taken away because the guy you bought it from has a lean/money owing on it. Then you will have to pay his debts! Make sure when the seller gives you the UVIP you check and see that it says 0 Leans!!! I would never buy a bike without it!

Thanks everybody for all the help. Really great to meet such friendly people out there.