Buying first bike.

Thread: Buying first bike.

Buying first bike.

Hey there guys and gals,

I've been looking around for about 2 months now, and I've come to the decision of ether a GS500F or a FZR-600. I've got my pricing and insurance all figured out. *Turns out its the same for both bikes*

I originally looked at the Kawi 250 as I'm sure every new rider who goes out on the internet does. I've seen lots of reviews on how great a starter bike it is and all that and I agree with everyone on it. It looks like a lot of fun. My only issues are I don't want to trade in the bike after a riding season, which I've heard of most people doing. And the fact that I'm on the heavy side, 5'10" 250lbs, a big boy.

So I've gone and sat on the GS500f, and I was surprised at how light it was, I was expecting a big heavy sucker. But it just didn't feel right when I got my leg up on the foot rest. So I go for a spin to the Yamaha dealer, just to see whats out there and the FZR-600 catches my eye. Chat it up with the sales guy a little, he says its a good starter bike and all that. But after looking around I see a few people going the other way saying its to big to start off on.

So I go and sit on it and its completely different from the GS. Feels really good, but a little heavier then I wanted. So really I can go for ether bike. I just want something that I'm not going to get sick of after a riding season and has enough power to keep me from getting in trouble with a slow start making that turn into traffic. And yes, I realize the 600 is a 600 and all that. I've watched enough videos of guys going down to know I really dont want to do that, so I'm not going to go and do something dumb. I've looked at sliders for first bikes because I know, being a new rider there is a very high chance I'll put it down probably just doing 5km.

I realize I'm rambling so I'll wrap it up. My main thought right now is. 1. Being more comfortable on the bike and with the feel of the bike means a more enjoyable riding experience which = Safer? or 2. I could easily lay down both bikes with varying degrees of *ouch*, so does it really matter what one? and 3. Suzuki will probably stop production on their 500 in the next year or so because of CALI emissions, so what is getting parts going to be like 3-4 years down the road?

Again sorry for the long first post. I just wanted to get everything out there so I'm not coming back so much to add little things in.

~Brewer264

*Edit*

P.S. For some reason just now started reading the " New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) " So judging from that most if not everyone is going to say the GS500F. And I did forget to mention that yes, I'm defiantly going to take the Motorcycle Safety course asap. I'm a very cautious person as I'm sure everyone says they are so before I buy anything I'll take it for a test drive and if I get the sh*t scared out of me like no other then I'll have to re-think things again. I'm not looking to make it in the paper as some example to other new riders why not to get something I cant handle. I just want to find the right fit.
    Last edited by Brewer264; 04-10-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Re: Buying first bike.

Ah!!!!! the old what if........

Buy the GS and ride it with second thoughts and possible regrets.

Buy the 600 knowing it's got gobs of power that can have your down in a second.

As much as you feel you're a responsible and cautious person, there are too many scenarios that can get you into trouble that experience is the only thing that will help prevent something bad from happenning.

But you already know this.

Do what your gut tells you...the majority of seasoned riders we tell you the 600 is not a starter bike. And it isn't.

You'll have several chime in and say they started on a 600 or ever higher powered machine and never experienced a problem.

If your comfortable on the 600 and can keep your wrist from twisting the throttle too much, then give her a go. Who's going to stop you?

If you're looking at 600 non-SS bikes try the Honda F4i and Suzuki sv650 as well...they should be along the lines of what you're looking for.
    I would still recommend a 250 as a first bike, you can sell it for the same price you bought it for =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    I would still recommend a 250 as a first bike, you can sell it for the same price you bought it for =)
    Yeah, everyone I talk to says its a great bike if your new or if you've been riding for years. As lil red bird says its very "flickable". But back to the other two bikes, I have friends who ride and I'm getting half for one, and half for the other. I've got lots of time to think about it, and first impressions arn't always right so we'll see what happens.

Really appreciate the feedback,

~Brewer

I am learning to ride on GS500F and really like this bike. It's very easy to control, has enough power to move easily. It's also pretty easy to maintain, including carbs.

IMHO, my next bike would be YZF-600R, which seems like a big upgrade, but also more powerful and less forgiving than GS500F.

Yeah if you're bigger and don't feel comfortable on the GS500 then definitely try the SV650, naked or S version (the sitting position is different) and also try the Ninja 650. Neither bike is super sport, insurance is low. They're, what I call, borderline beginner bikes.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

The Ninja 650 is a nice bike, but I think its a little more sporty then what I'm looking for. When I started looking around I never thought to look above the 500cc class. The SV 650 looks like a nice little bike, I'll probably go and have a look at in on Monday. But I'm starting to lean a little more to the FZ6R. Sorry for the typo earlier, I was just copying what the sales guy wrote for me.

~Brewer

FZ6R has got more power than both Ninja 650 and SV650. If you're talking about the sitting position then maybe. I forget what's more upright at this moment.
    What I dislike about the FZ6R is how it replaced the FZ6 but is inferior to it in every single way (engine, suspension, frame, calipers, etc). However, Yamaha, intended for it to be more of a beginner bike than FZ6 was.
    Also look at GSX650.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I have a FZ6R that I purchased this year. It is a very nice bike and easy to ride. It weighs about the same as the GS500F which was my first bike (which I rode last season). The FZ6R is well put together. Has almost enough power and handles nicely. I never rode an FZ6 so I can not comment on that bike.

The FZ6R makes a good intermediate bike but can also serve as a beginner bike with little risk.

While it may look sililar to the GSX650F is weighs 100lbs lighter. The GSX650F is also a very decent bike in this class. I am not a fan of the Sv650 or the 650 ninja mainly because of engine configuration. But if you like twins both are nice bikes but our of the two of these I prefer the SV.

Patricia
    2010 Suzuki GSXR 750
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (gone to a new home)
    2008 GS500F (gone to a new home)
    Milton, ON

Think it would be a pain to get the sales guys to let me take the GS500F and the FZ600R for a test ride?

~Brewer

GSX650F is a Bandit relative so yes, it's a bit heavy. Maybe not 100lbs heavier than FZ6R but 50lbs for sure.

FZ6R is targeting new riders, hence cheaper components and less power than the 'old' FZ6 but it's still a vary capable bike so if you do decide to go with it, exercise caution at first.

As for test rides - very hard to accomplish. Too many risks involved for the dealership.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    As for test rides - very hard to accomplish. Too many risks involved for the dealership.
    Yeah, I thought that was the answer I was going to get. *insert sad face*

~Brewer

Last edited by bikegirl88; 04-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Patricia
    2010 Suzuki GSXR 750
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (gone to a new home)
    2008 GS500F (gone to a new home)
    Milton, ON

Maybe I should try to talk lil red bird to come with me next time I go to look at a bike

So I went out today, sat on a couple other bikes. I think the FZ6R is what I'm going to try and go for. Talked to the other dealer and was told that they don't deal with Yamaha anymore because they are hard to deal with and slow on getting parts. Talk to the Yamaha guys and they say next day for alot of stuff or 2 weeks if it has to come from Japan. Can anyone clear it up for me? Base insurance is going to be about 232, should I look around a little more?

~Brewer